PDA

View Full Version : Upside down turkey

drallan81
10-24-2017, 02:52 PM
It's getting to be that time of year again. I'm going to be smoking 2 20lb or so turkeys on the UDSs. Last year was my first on the UDS and it turned out OK, not great. Everyone else enjoyed it, but I know I could have done better. In the past I used my 18" WSM, but I have since gotten rid of it and replaced it w/ a larger UDS.

I think last years issues were related to having difficulty keeping temps above 275. I have made some modifications to the UDS and think I have it down. But I have been doing some practice runs on the weekend w/ whole roaster chickens. They are cheap and I have food for the week.

I don't want to spatchcock the turkey and usually cook them vertical beer can chicken style (just no liquid). However, recently I got the idea to flip it over. Usually BCC is done legs down / breast up. Has anyone done it legs up (standing on its head?).

Usually the UDS is a bit hotter at the top (I use a deflector/drip pan) and this would allow the dark meat to be cook a little faster. Also, in theory it will allow for all the fat dripping down the turkey to baste the white meat (if you think that makes a difference).

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, but was just curious if anyone else had done this yet.

Thanks

Bugsy
10-24-2017, 07:29 PM
I did breast down last year. Came out awesome

mchar69
10-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Also, in theory it will allow for all the fat dripping down the turkey to baste the white meat (if you think that makes a difference).
Not the way it works, according to Amazing Ribs.
I have had great success w/ 'upside down' turkey in the oven, sure it would work on your UDS.

EdF
10-25-2017, 02:32 PM
When I do it in the BGE, I start breast down on a piece of buttered bread, in a pan. Start at 450 and immediately throttle it to head for 325. Not stuffed yet. Meanwhile bake the stuffing in the oven. Take the bird out after an hour and a half or so, remove the bread, stuff it, put it back in, breast up. An hour or so to desired IT. Works great.