PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice on doing a cook at the Indy VA

OEF5
10-20-2017, 07:02 AM
So I know that many here are a part of some great organizations that do some great things for the community.

I am looking for ways to approach the VA here in Indy to offer BBQ to our Vets as well as try to get some assistance from other fine Brethren in the area that would like to donate/cook/help anything.

1. For those that do this, where did you start?
2. If you do this, how much do you cook?
3. When do you set up and cook? Do you pre cook and reheat on site?
4. What do you provide for supplies or do you get it donated? (I'm not as concerned about this as my wife used to work for a Non for profit and is really good at getting sponsorship/donations)
5. Do you do a full meal of BBQ and sides?

Basically any information that can get me going in the right direction, I'm lucky that I did my time and came out ok, yes I have some injuries and minor limitations, but I can live a normal life. Some of my brothers and sisters can't and I'm all about trying to help them.

Also if you are in the area, close, have the ability or desire to try to help me get this going let me know. This is something I'd like to set up and try to do annually if I can get the interest.

nachos4life
10-20-2017, 02:05 PM
My wife works for Indy VA. I can see if she has a contact for stuff like this. We'd be down to help.

FrugalQ
10-20-2017, 04:17 PM
I’m an hour away in Bloomington and depending on when I’d be interested in helping out too. If a lot of these guys can stand in front of a bullet for me, I can stand over a cooker for them.

Hoosier1960
10-20-2017, 07:43 PM
I'd be interested in helping

Stlsportster
10-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Subb'd

ebijack
10-21-2017, 04:12 AM
I hope your VA's are open to the idea.
Here in Michigan, the ones we have tried (many times) and we had inside contacts. Would not allow us to cook or serve on their property. They have a paid kitchen staff and only will use them. Policy.
I find with the Vietnam Veterans groups near me, they do not want any form of free cooks for the Vets or fund raisers. They will pay a group to come/cook/serve. But "no thanks" for free. Nuts I know..:loco:
The large Michigan Veterans Foundation, really like us to come and cook for the homeless Vets. We go typically 2 times/yr sometimes 3 times/yr.
Ann Arbor and Ohio Department of Veterans Affairs, really like us to come and cook/serve for the POW's, visually impaired Vets. We cook/serve for them 2 times/yr.
Takes alot of time to get established. But it is worth it.
At least one of you should have a "safe food handling card". A thermapen is REAL handy if/when you are required to have the health dept. stop by to temp/check the food. If you go the free "fund raiser" route for the Vets.
Any other questions, just ask.

Mikhail
10-21-2017, 05:31 AM
Don’t have the knowledge you need but could help with the cooks dependng on schedules.

16Adams
10-21-2017, 06:09 AM
If unsuccessful one way- try another??
https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/contact-us

Also connect with an already set up VA Charity fund raiser and see if your idea can assist. Some veteran event ideas- golf tournament, raffle, concerts, poker runs, BBQ Cook Offs, State County Fair booths. Proceeds to a veterans group.

I’m probably missing something obvious in the contact area-

I bet the Brethren Pros will chime in with food safety-logistics-pitfalls and accomplishments

OEF5
10-23-2017, 06:04 AM
Thank you everyone for the tips and offers of help, I'll look into some things here and keep you all posted.