PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Joe Highlander Firebox Question

Moose
10-12-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm getting ready to order some supplies to help bring this smoker to its fullest potential. These include:

Gasket sealer to prevent leaks from the juncture of the firebox and cooking chamber
Gasket tape to prevent leaks from the firebox and cooking chamber doors
Tuning plate
Duct elbow

I was also considering this firebasket:

http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/ll-12106-lsr.htm

My question is this:

Would I be better off just having a piece of expanded metal cut to fit over the existing grate? It sure would be a lot cheaper.

Feedback greatly appreciated!

Stlsportster
10-12-2017, 02:03 PM
The benefit of a basket is if you want to keep the coals in a smaller area or if you want to run charcoal.

I think most people would say just go with the piece of expanded metal unless you want to run charcoal.

SmittyJonz
10-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Don't do Duct Elbow. If you are gonna run on wood just a fire grate not a basket - firebox is small enough already basket makes it harder to fit splits. Gaskets never last long and leaks don't hurt nuttin.......

FrugalQ
10-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Just curious is a highland at 200 a good deal new? My local wm has them on clearance. Just bought a pellet popper for about 60% off. But hey tis the season right?

Moose
10-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Just curious is a highland at 200 a good deal new? My local wm has them on clearance. Just bought a pellet popper for about 60% off. But hey tis the season right?

$200 is a good deal, yes.

Moose
10-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Don't do Duct Elbow. If you are gonna run on wood just a fire grate not a basket - firebox is small enough already basket makes it harder to fit splits. Gaskets never last long and leaks don't hurt nuttin.......

Why not the duct elbow?

SmittyJonz
10-12-2017, 04:05 PM
To extend the chimney to grate level? It adds a bend and can restrict airflow causing Hot Spots or Dirty Fire.......and doesn't really Help much even if it still flows Well.......try it both ways and see......may work for you but many have said it either didn't Help any or Hurt airflow/temps
The ones I've seen that say it worked cut the opening at an angle on side of duct so that the opening is not pointed straight down......

ronbrad62
10-12-2017, 05:44 PM
I can't argue with anything that Smitty says. I had a Highlander and did al of the mods that you speak of, and I think the charcoal basket was one of my biggest mistakes because it limited the size of the splits that I could burn. I tried the elbow and that may be reason that I regularly had thick smoke, restriction of air flow. As far as sealing the firebox juncture, that is probably the only thing I would seal, looking back. The doors don't matter much if you burn sticks.

smoke ninja
10-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Expanded metal base for fire grate. Heat baffle at the connection. Thats all i would do.

I have the longhorn. Same smoker only longer. Yes there will be a temp gradient i dont mind it. It's a cooker that i am jist now outgrowing after almost 3 years

ronbrad62
10-12-2017, 06:28 PM
I also had a variation on the tuning plate. I bought about 6 of the generic flavorizer bars from Lowes and used them. I just spaced them out along the cook chamber and the heat was more evenly distributed. Just make sure that they are long enough so they will be above the heat vent.

SmittyJonz
10-12-2017, 06:59 PM
I would do a convection plate or tuning plates and deflector or baffle

Moose
10-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone! Firebasket is off the list, and I just ordered a piece of expanded metal to go over the existing fire grate. Would it still be advisable to get the gasket tape and seal the firebox and cooking chamber doors, or is that just a waste of money? Is it worth sealing the juncture between the firebox and cooking chamber as well?

Definitely plan on getting the baffle/tuning plate:

http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/ok-hor-tune-hl.htm

Stlsportster
10-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Between the firebox and cook chamber might be the best place to seal.

SmittyJonz
10-12-2017, 07:52 PM
the gasket tape works on the Doors just doesn't last Long. I would seal the firebox halves and between the FB to Cook Chamber I Guess -
thats why I like Old Country - Fully Welded........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odF53zlLl0&t=313s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfiLAL0Gd8

robert-r
10-12-2017, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about the leaks. Raised the cooking grate by rotating the stock one 90* & added some expanded metal - mostly to keep burning coals from escaping.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/robert_mitchell4/Oklahoma%20Joe/PICT1244_zpsvwfkhbkp.jpg

Had a 100* difference from one side of the cook chamber to the other. Made a diffuser:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/robert_mitchell4/Oklahoma%20Joe/PICT1243_zpsi9fargdz.jpg

& a convection & tuning plates:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah175/robert_mitchell4/Oklahoma%20Joe/PICT1218_zpsvrmsn7md.jpg

Temps are within 10* from end to end of the chamber from time to time. :becky:

I run 2 probes at both sides of the cook chamber. They are helpful & also will drive you nuts.

Myself... I wouldn't bother with gaskets. Might weld the top & bottom of the charcoal box someday. Or add a few bolts here & there.
Don't think a gasket or weld the firebox to the cook chamber is absolutely necessary.

fwiw - methinks there is more than one way to skin this cat.

viking72
10-13-2017, 05:29 AM
I like a convection plate. All the rest of the mods are a waste of time and money.

Later,
Doug

Czarbecue
10-13-2017, 05:49 AM
I’m all about the efficiency of the smoker so I would do the baffle/tuning plate and RTV Silicone between the firebox and the cooking chamber. If they are bolted together like my Bandera is, take it apart and add it in between. Let the excess ooze out and stay there. Spray it with high heat paint if you want to make it look like a weld, lol.

I had a Chargriller offset with a leaky firebox. Leaks hurt the efficiency of your burn if that means anything for you.

smoke ninja
10-13-2017, 09:22 AM
I’m all about the efficiency of the smoker so I would do the baffle/tuning plate and RTV Silicone between the firebox and the cooking chamber. If they are bolted together like my Bandera is, take it apart and add it in between. Let the excess ooze out and stay there. Spray it with high heat paint if you want to make it look like a weld, lol.

I had a Chargriller offset with a leaky firebox. Leaks hurt the efficiency of your burn if that means anything for you.

Not that i dont think sealing up the firebox cook chamber union is a bad idea but if we are talking stick burner theory im gonna say i aim to be as inefficient as possiple with as little restriction to airflow as possible. I want to burn as much wood as possible, crwating as much draft as i can. More wood means more bbq compounds to the meat and the "wind" generated by the airflow is a key component to bark formation.

Czarbecue
10-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Not that i dont think sealing up the firebox cook chamber union is a bad idea but if we are talking stick burner theory im gonna say i aim to be as inefficient as possiple with as little restriction to airflow as possible. I want to burn as much wood as possible, crwating as much draft as i can. More wood means more bbq compounds to the meat and the "wind" generated by the airflow is a key component to bark formation.

More draft is one thing while having a leak in your airflow is another.

smoke ninja
10-13-2017, 11:49 AM
More draft is one thing while having a leak in your airflow is another.

I dont mind my leaky firebox. I leave the door wfo. I forego plates kust a baffle. Get that air moving

The cook chamber is sealed well enough. Moose, instead of gasket around the door try this: use a dollar bill (a baller like yourself can use a fifty if you like) between the flange and the chamber door. Slide the bill around the perimeter and bend the flange out anywhere its loose. :wink:

Mikhail
10-13-2017, 02:14 PM
I really need to learn the physics and mechanics of these mods as I start to think about a stick burning smoker.

Sodaking27
10-13-2017, 06:28 PM
I had mine welded and added the baffle/tuning plate. I made the charcoal basket also, but will only be using it when I’m use charcoal as a heat source. Maiden voyage went very smoothly.

Moose
10-13-2017, 06:45 PM
I had mine welded and added the baffle/tuning plate. I made the charcoal basket also, but will only be using it when I’m use charcoal as a heat source. Maiden voyage went very smoothly.

Sodaking,

What did the welding cost? Perhaps I might go this route...

Czarbecue
10-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Sodaking,

It can cost you $100 if you buy a cheap welder :clap:

Nuco59
10-13-2017, 07:35 PM
If you don't weld - best route would be "have a buddy who knows how to weld and slip him a $50 to do it for you. A fella who knows how to weld will not have a cheap welder and will probably be pretty good with it.

robert-r
10-13-2017, 07:35 PM
It can cost you $100 if you buy a cheap welder :clap:

& a big learning curve. :becky:

ssv3
10-13-2017, 08:17 PM
Hey Richard,

If you need welding work done on your pit there is a guy named Eric Wech who is an up and coming pit builder in Sun Valley and I'm sure he'll hook you up. Very cool guy and I met him at the infamous Superbowl party I attended this year at his buddy's house. Fat Stack smokers I think is what his shop is called.

Czarbecue
10-13-2017, 08:24 PM
& a big learning curve. :becky:

Hey, I am trying to teach him how to fish! :loco:

Sodaking27
10-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Sodaking,

My neighbor did it for 40.00.