PDA

View Full Version : Amaze'n'tray in the fire or cook chamber?

blazinfire
10-03-2017, 12:11 AM
So cooler weather is upon us. It's that time to start cold smoking cheeses and other items like that. I have the tube but I'm looking to purchase the tray to use in my vertical offset. Curious to know if you would run the tray in the bottom of the cook chamber or run it in the fire box?

Joshw
10-03-2017, 12:41 AM
I put my tube in the cooking chamber. Not sure you would get enough smoke flow in the fire box. I would think it would depend on cooker layout. If you get good smoke flow the further away from the food the better when cold smoking. You can put a pan of ice over it to keep temps down if you need to.

IamMadMan
10-03-2017, 04:59 AM
Not all smokers are created the same.....

I have a Humphrey's and I put my maze in the firebox when cold smoking, making sure all intakes and exhausts are wide open.

I also leave the cooking chamber door open until the smoke starts to flow for a few minutes (heat rises), then I close the door. Smoke will begin exiting the exhaust as the slightly warmer air finds it's path through the smoker to the exhaust.

cheez59
10-03-2017, 05:30 AM

I have a Humphrey's and I put my maze in the firebox when cold smoking, making sure all intakes and exhausts are wide open.

I also leave the cooking chamber door open until the smoke starts to flow for a few minutes (heat rises), then I close the door. Smoke will begin exiting the exhaust as the slightly warmer air finds it's path through the smoker to the exhaust.

^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^

blazinfire
10-03-2017, 07:20 AM

Yeah, I've put some thought into this. I had plans on putting the tray in the firebox as I Feel it would get more smoke/air flowing as I don't have dampers in the cook chamber. Not sure if having everything wide open and using the tray in the cook chamber would be much help

BillN
10-03-2017, 01:47 PM
When cold smoking cheese I put my A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker in the CC on the bottom shelf however I have the FB vent wide open and the exhaust wide open. I suppose I could put the pellet smoker in the FB and it would work fine.

dufftj
10-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Ive cold smoked on my lonestar vo with the amazn tray loaded with dust. I've only put it in the firebox and it works great. Nice steady stream of wispy smoke for about 11 hours.