PDA

View Full Version : No Firebox Grate in an Offset?

holdenf92
09-30-2017, 03:01 PM
I was watching the Aaron Franklin YouTube videos for the millionth time and I noticed that in his Firebox he doesn't use any kind of grate to sit his fire on. The fire is on the bottom of the Firebox. And I know he also does this with his huge cookers at the restaurant. Anybody know why he does this? Is there an advantage to it? You would think it would impede airflow to the fire, but he is Mr. Convection so obviously he doesn't think it does. What do y'all think?

BillN
09-30-2017, 03:50 PM
I think because they are constantly tending the fire he does not want to bother with a grate so cleaning out ash during the cook is easier... Also he leaves the door to the FB open so there is plenty of air flow.

Stlsportster
09-30-2017, 03:58 PM
I know some guys on a Lang forum that line the bottom of the firebox with firebrick and don't use a grate. They swear it works for them and holds constant temps and a better coal base.

ClintHTX
09-30-2017, 04:12 PM
I have a offset built pretty close to his cookers. I don’t us a grate. With adiquate airflow a fire will burn. With that being said weld you dampers shut and open that fire box door!

Rockinar
10-01-2017, 03:25 AM
Either way works just fine. But with Aarons method you will have to shovel coals. Thats how his restaurant burned down I think. Shoveling coals and one got away...

Maybe he uses the coals for something or he just likes the simplicity of it? I dunno. I personally would rather have an ash pan. Just less mess and not dropping hot coals all over the ground with a shovel.

JohnnyB
10-01-2017, 06:30 AM
I've wondered about this as well. I put a grate in my cooker firebox because I was told I had to. The woodstove in my house has no grate, just a firebrick lined bottom, and it burns plenty efficient enough, with just a damper and the door closed. There's no shortage of people having success doing it both ways, so I guess it doesn't matter either way.

ncmoose
10-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Either way works just fine. But with Aarons method you will have to shovel coals. Thats how his restaurant burned down I think. Shoveling coals and one got away...

Maybe he uses the coals for something or he just likes the simplicity of it? I dunno. I personally would rather have an ash pan. Just less mess and not dropping hot coals all over the ground with a shovel.

He states his most important tool is a shovel. He (and his pit masters) do a lot of manipulation of the coal bed from what I gather.

Notorious Q.U.E.
10-01-2017, 05:44 PM
I had a medium grade offset with round firebox. It taught me two things:

1) I much prefer square fireboxes and will never look back
2) taking the firegrate out led to a smoldering dirty fire that never quite pulled

If you're earning a living off it you have the time to do it perfectly. If you're a backyard guy like me with kids, it's a set up for trouble

Czarbecue
10-01-2017, 11:14 PM
I asked this question before, and also to the guys at Pecan Lodge who run their pits 24/7... their response was incredibly simple: grates get in the way when your fire is constantly running. Imagine trying to clear out the ash with the grate in there. Short of dumping out everything, it is extremely hard to do so without resetting the fire.

Without the grate, you just use a shovel to move things around and scoop out the ash. But their situation is a lot different than the typical back yard cooker. I like a grate with a removable ash pan but I can see how losing some height can affect the fire.