PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate some advice on how to close a firebox damper on a Yoder Wichita

bbqpitsmoker
09-24-2017, 06:04 PM
I want to try out an improvement to how my pit drafts. I have 2 equal intake holes on my firebox door. I want to completely seal the top hole. However I do it, it should be easy, ideally not involving power tools, and easily reversible in case it doesnt work. My first idea was to stuff the hole with foil, but thought that wouldn’t work too good. Any ideas?

bbqpitsmoker
09-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Here is a photo of the damper hole

CptKaos
09-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Rotate the butterfly counterclockwise until you hit the stop.

Larry

p.s. Sorry, I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing that. If you can loosen the butterfly you can slide a thin piece of sheet metal or foil between them.

Rockinar
09-25-2017, 03:02 AM
Cover it with a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and high heat tape? The tape is used for powdercoating and should be good up to 400 degrees. Wont be permanant but should give you time to see if whatever you are trying to do works or not.

Joe Black
09-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Closing the damper still leaves it open by the width of the handle. Mine is the same way, but i took a round file and cut a little relief for the rod and now it closes completely. Hint: chuck the file into a drill.