PDA

View Full Version : Santa Maria Grill Question(s)

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 08:43 PM
After evaluating the cookers I currently have in my arsenal, Im seriously considering getting rid of my Kettle and Weber Genesis and replacing them with a Santa Maria grill. Every since getting my Blackstone, I really only use my Genesis for wings just because it has a lot of capacity. Most of the rest of the grilling I do I have moved over to the Kettle since I finally got it out of the garage after getting my patio poured. In the space that the Kettle and Genesis occupy, I could easily fit a decent sized Santa Maria grill which would give me a ton more space for live fire cooking which the Kettle is currently lacking and which would also eliminate the need for the Genesis since Im largely only using it for large capacity cooks as it is. I only use my Kettle for grilling because anything low and slow gets done on the LSG Vertical Offset.

Now on to my Santa Maria question. This thing would live out on my patio. Do they need a cover or do you just let them get rained on? I love the design for cooking but seems like they would be a mess if they get rained on. Both the Kettle and Genesis have lids. Cleaning out ash is one thing but I find it impossible to remove everything which leads me to believe rain and some leftover ash would miss and turn into a corrosive mess. Anybody have a Santa Maria grill that permanently lives out in the elements?

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-13-2017, 08:51 PM
LSG has a 30 x 72 Santa Maria!! It looks sharp with a stainless steel ash pan. I've been suffering from VO/ Griddle / Santa Maria Envy so I want to know how this story ends Jack !!

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 08:59 PM
LSG has a 30 x 72 Santa Maria!! It looks sharp with a stainless steel ash pan. I've been suffering from VO/ Griddle / Santa Maria Envy so I want to know how this story ends Jack !!

If I do this, I'm actually leaning towards the LSG 48x30. The 72 would be a little over kill for me.

KevinJ
09-13-2017, 09:03 PM
This one has a lid azbbqgrills (http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page25/page25.html)

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page25/files/image-1.jpg

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page25/page2/files/page2-1000-full.jpg

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 09:07 PM
This one has a lid azbbqgrills (http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page25/page25.html)

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page25/files/image-1.jpg

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page25/page2/files/page2-1000-full.jpg

I actually looked at those, but the price is about three times what I could get an equivalent sized one from LSG and then I'd have to pay for shipping on top of that. I guess my real question here is would I just be best off getting somebody to make a custom cover for it? The design in general is just kind of awkward with the big wheel on one side so Im curious if anybody has had success with getting a cover for one.

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Check out grillwraps.com

They're a lot more expensive but I know my Shirley is safe underneath there. Bill Donohue was very communicative and he made it right when he got behind on delivery.

My guess is that he has the skill to sew a sunbrella fabric cover to snug around the side wheel with either draw string or nylon strap snap. No harm in gathering info

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Check out grillwraps.com

They're a lot more expensive but I know my Shirley is safe underneath there. Bill Donohue was very communicative and he made it right when he got behind on delivery.

My guess is that he has the skill to sew a sunbrella fabric cover to snug around the side wheel with either draw string or nylon strap snap. No harm in gathering info

That seems to be Chris' recommendation. I guess I should probably just call him and see if they have done one before.

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Here are some shots of my grillwraps sunbrella cover. Like Shirley and LSG , there's genuine pride in workmanship. You won't go wrong if you need a cover for the SM

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
Well that makes me think they can probably make something that would work for this.

Stlsportster
09-13-2017, 09:37 PM
I got a quote for my Lang...over $500. I'm sure they are top quality, but I couldn't see spending that much. I have a cheap char-broil generic smoker cover on my Lang now.

Just saw a Craigslist ad for a Santa Maria that used a generic charbroil cover too.

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
I got a quote for my Lang...over $500. I'm sure they are top quality, but I couldn't see spending that much. I have a cheap char-broil generic smoker cover on my Lang now.

Just saw a Craigslist ad for a Santa Maria that used a generic charbroil cover too.

Dang! Isn't that about a 1/3 of the cost of a Lang 36 Deluxe?

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Something like this might work.

http://www.sunterraoutdoor.com/santa-maria-grill-covers-all-sizes

HogGrog
09-13-2017, 09:55 PM
I use a camo tarp as a cover and wheel my Santa Maria under the three foot eaves of my house during the California "winter". It's not the prettiest solution but it stays dry. You will have a mess if it stays in the rain with ash in it, but then again mine does not have a top. Some minor maintenance is required, especially if painted and not powder coated, burning sticks in these fine cookers creates a lot of heat and some paint will eventually peel. You need one!

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 10:00 PM
I use a camo tarp as a cover and wheel my Santa Maria under the three foot eaves of my house during the California "winter". It's not the prettiest solution but it stays dry. You will have a mess if it stays in the rain with ash in it, but then again mine does not have a top. Some minor maintenance is required, especially if painted and not powder coated, burning sticks in these fine cookers creates a lot of heat and some paint will eventually peel. You need one!

Thanks! This confirms my notion I probably need some kind of cover for it then. Just seems like it would be a mess without it if it gets rained on.

HogGrog
09-13-2017, 10:41 PM
I actually looked at those, but the price is about three times what I could get an equivalent sized one from LSG and then I'd have to pay for shipping on top of that. I guess my real question here is would I just be best off getting somebody to make a custom cover for it? The design in general is just kind of awkward with the big wheel on one side so Im curious if anybody has had success with getting a cover for one.

On mine, the wheel can very quickly be taken off, it is fastened with a set screw so a few turns with an allen wrench and its off or on. It would probably reduce the cost of a cover if you had it tailored to fit the dimensions without the wheel on?

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 10:43 PM
On mine, the wheel can very quickly be taken off, it is fastened with a set screw so a few turns with an allen wrench and its off or on. It would probably reduce the cost of a cover if you had it tailored to fit the dimensions without the wheel on?

Got a link to the manufacturer for yours? That's a pretty solid looking grill.

SmittyJonz
09-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Just cover your patio........ :heh:

https://i.imgur.com/YCjjuXCl.jpg

JacksBBQ
09-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Double post

HogGrog
09-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Here you go; http://www.oldpioneermfgco.com It is well built, 3/16" plate and strong welds. Like most everyone else, prices have increased since I bought a couple years ago. Website says there is sale occurring but not how much. I got mine for 29% off during a special sale celebrating their 29th year in business. The owner and fabricator, Dennis, will customize to your needs. Let me know if you have questions or I can help.

South Butte Slim
09-13-2017, 11:05 PM
I have had my santa maria grill for 8 to ten years out in the elements. I have had to replace the charcoal grates once. They needed to be beefed up anyway. I sand and paint ever year or two and has held up well.

Leftwngr
09-13-2017, 11:35 PM
I have a Scottsdale grill and AZBBQ made a cover for it. The wheel gets its own cover. Works great. It's 2 pieces, but it makes it easy to put on and take off. No weird pockets.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-14-2017, 09:14 AM
I love my santa maria grill. That being said, it is a PITA to cover it. I have had it since 2009, and it was custom built, I bought it used. I cant cover it. Since I have owned it I had to sand it down and repaint it one time. It is now in a fully covered location and will give me many more years of service. I love teh capacity and there is nothing better than grilling a tri tip or a spatchcock chicken over oak.

Smokesignalsfromtx
09-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Hey JacksBBQ, I researched for a while, and just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the $ that some of these cost. I found a local DFW that custom made mine for me and it was VERY reasonable. His craftsmanship was spot on! I'm very happy with it. Due to the Photobucket boning, I'm unable to post pics, but if you pm me your email address I can send you pics of mine, and contact info for the builder.

Springram
09-14-2017, 11:07 AM
LSG makes some really nice Santa Maria grills. My wife and I were at the LSG shop with her having punched my ticket to get one. Then...... i just got to thinking about my two BGE's that I use to grill stuff on plus my Weber Jumbo Joe that I use at times to fire up and grill a steak or two. So... I punted. I know what you are thinking. How could I walk away from such a great new cooking toy?

The Grillwrap covers are expensive but very well made and are constructed to fit your cooker/grill. I love mine that is used to cover my LSG VO. As mentioned in this thread, they have a ten year warranty.

jdtTX
09-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Hey JacksBBQ, I researched for a while, and just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the $ that some of these cost. I found a local DFW that custom made mine for me and it was VERY reasonable. His craftsmanship was spot on! I'm very happy with it. Due to the Photobucket boning, I'm unable to post pics, but if you pm me your email address I can send you pics of mine, and contact info for the builder.

you have contact info for the local guy? ive been looking at them for a long time and cant bring myself to pay what some of these guys want.

Smokesignalsfromtx
09-14-2017, 07:28 PM
you have contact info for the local guy? ive been looking at them for a long time and cant bring myself to pay what some of these guys want.

Sure do....

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/d/santa-maria-grill/6303550541.html

Not sure if the link copied really right, but my Santa Maria is the one at the end. I had him make it with a fold down front for easier cleaning. I also ordered and installed firebricks. This thing is built like a tank! I'd say it weighs a good 450+

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-14-2017, 10:02 PM
LSG makes some really nice Santa Maria grills. My wife and I were at the LSG shop with her having punched my ticket to get one. Then...... i just got to thinking about my two BGE's that I use to grill stuff on plus my Weber Jumbo Joe that I use at times to fire up and grill a steak or two. So... I punted. I know what you are thinking. How could I walk away from such a great new cooking toy?

The Grillwrap covers are expensive but very well made and are constructed to fit your cooker/grill. I love mine that is used to cover my LSG VO. As mentioned in this thread, they have a ten year warranty.

How bout that slick new LSG burner fryer station with griddle top?!? I'm envious that you can just walk into the showroom, must be nice having green light on an LSG cooker!!

SoCalWJS
09-15-2017, 09:48 AM
I just have one of the small-ish SM Pits that you can get at the local Costco and Ace Hardware's. Grate is 30"x20". I throw one of the cheapo grill covers available at Sams for about $30. They seem to last about 3 years or so. Had my Pit for many years now w/o any serious problems. I did use a wire brush on it a few years back where rust was starting, then used a high temp black spray paint to touch it up (exterior only)

Not a custom fit by any means, but keeps everything covered up from the elements (that is, mostly fog with occasional rain)

I think I'm good for several more years based on how things seem to be progressing. :thumb:

CentralOhioBBQ
09-15-2017, 10:07 AM
I put one in my back patio last summer. I use an old grill cover so it doesn't rust, I imagine it would get worn pretty quick i I didn't have it one there.

Mine is wood burning, no gas. So the bottom and walls are all firebrick and I didn't mortar the bottom in, so any water that gets in seeps through the cracks in the firebrick.

Couple of recommendations:
1) Go with wood burning, gas is cheating :grin:
2) Def need some sort of cover, esp if any water won't run through/off
3) You need air in the chamber, otherwise you'll be babysitting the fire. I had to fix mine with an air pump that i have attached from underneath my gas grill. I run the air pump through a steel pipe that comes out in the bottom of the pit in the santa maria....now the coals/wood burn perfectly with little to no maintenance..

JacksBBQ
09-15-2017, 10:39 AM
I put one in my back patio last summer. I use an old grill cover so it doesn't rust, I imagine it would get worn pretty quick i I didn't have it one there.

Mine is wood burning, no gas. So the bottom and walls are all firebrick and I didn't mortar the bottom in, so any water that gets in seeps through the cracks in the firebrick.

Couple of recommendations:
1) Go with wood burning, gas is cheating :grin:
2) Def need some sort of cover, esp if any water won't run through/off
3) You need air in the chamber, otherwise you'll be babysitting the fire. I had to fix mine with an air pump that i have attached from underneath my gas grill. I run the air pump through a steel pipe that comes out in the bottom of the pit in the santa maria....now the coals/wood burn perfectly with little to no maintenance..

That's an awesome setup you have there! Thanks for the tips.