PDA

View Full Version : Large Chicken Basket?

Smokey-T
09-13-2017, 07:28 AM
I have been in search of something I am not sure exists. You all have seen those with chicken cookers that have the ability to turn/flip the entire batch of chicken due to the meat being sandwiched in a basket like grate. For those of use that don't have a chicken cooker, but offset/reverse flow, etc..... Is there such a thing as a good sized chicken basket? I have seen small options, but nothing worthy of a good afternoon cook. My Meadow Creek TS120P has a middle grate that is 20"x48", so for a good "set on top" chicken basket, the optimum size would be around 18"x42".

Has anyone seen something like this? Or has anyone "MacGyver'd" two pieces of expanded metal or other to make something like this? Easy to load, flip, empty and clean.

Any ideas, please advise.

Thanks!

Ted

mrpigs
09-13-2017, 09:23 AM
I've been wanting the same kind of thing, mainly for wings. The closest thing I have found is some wing baskets sold on Ole Hickory pit's website. They measure 16 by 26 inches and look to be about 1-1/2 inches deep. I was thinking about buying two and hooking them together on one side with some small steel rings so one sits on top of the other and would be easy to open, close and flip. Not sure if it would be deep enough for other chicken pieces though.

I know you're looking for something bigger but that's all I got.

Demosthenes
09-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Let us know if you find something.:becky: I could definitely use one. Turning 100+ pieces of chicken or burgers is not enjoyable.

SwineGuy
09-13-2017, 09:38 AM
You might want to try searching online for "huli huli" chicken grills or baskets. That is the Hawaiian method of cooking chickens, often roadside, that uses those types of baskets and constantly flips them back and forth. Good luck with your search.

Smokey-T
09-13-2017, 06:35 PM
So tossing this out there as my mind keeps working this out internally.....

So lets say one takes (2) 16.5" x 24" oven safe stainless steel "cooling racks" like this:

https://tinyurl.com/yd739nny

And uses (2) of these to secure the back at two points on left and right, along with (2) to secure the front once loaded:

https://tinyurl.com/yaln3fkj

Still looking at $75 for a 16x24 flipable wing basket. Now reviewing raw stainless materials using FoodLoop Flame as securing devices.

Any other thoughts, feel free to type out loud!

Big Andy
09-13-2017, 07:12 PM
I used to help the local 4-H club cook halves on big open pits. They used expanded metal grates reinforced with 1.5in pipe. Always had one extra rack to use for flipping. Had a pipe frame that sat down on top of the cap blocks. Put the extra frame on top of ready to turn chickens. Used rubber hose, maybe radiator hose to hold the rack handles together. Picked up handles on one side and swung over. The other side of the rack slid along the pipe base and meat was flipped. Kinda hard to explain by keyboard, but pretty simple.

Ducksmoke
09-13-2017, 07:20 PM
I just had chicken rack/baskets made for our American legion. Our first cook is Friday, I'll take some pictures. I'm on the road right after the cook ( if I'm not not lynched for suggesting we do this), so it will be a bit until I can give many details.

Smokey-T
09-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Update - While I continue to tackle this self imposed issue, here is what I McGyver'd up for this past weekend. I put two full pan cooling racks (16x24) on top of each other with Bolt, Washer, Large Washer, Spring, Large Washer, Small Washer, Wing Nut on each of the four corners (see attached).

This worked very well and about as big as I can get without getting $$$.

Put in chicken, cook and flip once, not 50 times per each wing.

Any other ideas, please share.

Thanks!

Ted

toymaster
09-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Something like this

ebijack
09-27-2017, 04:26 AM
Update - While I continue to tackle this self imposed issue, here is what I McGyver'd up for this past weekend. I put two full pan cooling racks (16x24) on top of each other with Bolt, Washer, Large Washer, Spring, Large Washer, Small Washer, Wing Nut on each of the four corners (see attached). This worked very well and about as big as I can get without getting $$$. Put in chicken, cook and flip once, not 50 times per each wing. Any other ideas, please share. Thanks! Ted
Instead of messing with the bolts,washers, springs etc. A cheap roll of stainless steel safety wire. Small sections of wire twisted at the corners would hold the racks together. When done, just snip with wire cutters. Easier clean up to. If that makes sense. A 1lb spool at HF is $8.50. Alot of years of use from one spool.
https://www.harborfreight.com/0041-inch-stainless-steel-lock-wire-1-lb-coil-8895.html

Nuco59
09-27-2017, 05:47 AM
I'm all for a good McGyvering- but I'd have to find another way besides bolts,nuts, washers to connect it all together. I'm sure it works- but would be too much fiddling for me.

What makes the smaller (more readily available) baskets a no go? I realize you can't put as much in them but it would still reduce your flipping quite a bit.

Cook
09-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Instead of messing with the bolts,washers, springs etc. A cheap roll of stainless steel safety wire. Small sections of wire twisted at the corners would hold the racks together. When done, just snip with wire cutters. Easier clean up to. If that makes sense. A 1lb spool at HF is $8.50. Alot of years of use from one spool.
https://www.harborfreight.com/0041-inch-stainless-steel-lock-wire-1-lb-coil-8895.html

Exactly