PDA

View Full Version : First Post, First UDS build

rezy81
09-12-2017, 09:46 AM
I am building my first UDS. I am torn between how to vent the lid. I have a flat lid with no bung holes. I have seen some drill (8) 3/4" holes around the lid. Use a webber lid(don't have one). Third I have seen drill (4) 3/4" holes and use 90 deg. elbows to vent. Is there no wrong way with these methods or just personal preference? I do have 2 webber smokey Joes that I could take the vents off and use them. Would that work?

NoNotTheDuo
09-12-2017, 01:53 PM
I personally use a Weber 22.5" lid. Found a guy on craigslist selling old rusted out grills for $10 or $20, but the lids were in good shape. The lids fit just about perfectly over the top of my drum.

ITBFQ
09-12-2017, 03:55 PM
I drilled the 8 3/4" holes. I bought some cheap circle magnets at Menards to use to close them off. Works like a charm!

Nuco59
09-12-2017, 06:48 PM
I had a uds with flat lid and 8x 3/4" holes like ITBFQ above- it worked ok. I gave it to my SIL- just did not dig having to pull and reset the magnets. Again- it worked- I just did not care for it.

IF I were doing one again with a flat- no bung lid, I'd have a fab friendly buddy make me 2" diameter x 6" tall round stack on a round or square flange and top it with a pivoting cap. You might get someone at a muffler shop make you one out of drops for little to no $$$.

IF you are willing to drop some coin, might I recommend hitting the Hunsakersmokers.com page and checking out their stack w/lid hinge assy (pretty pricey at $80.00 but worth it...and their bottom slide vent...and their axle for 8" wheels and...
For a few (ok - more than a few) $$, you could have a Hunsaker style cooker- and it'd be bada$$.

TexaQ
09-12-2017, 07:24 PM
I did a smokestack on a flat lid. I had a muffler shop weld a 3" diameter pipe that was 7" long in the center of the lid. I had them weld a 1/4-20 bolt (without the head) inside of pipe for a spring loaded, swiveling cap. I made the cap out of a 19 cent electrical box cover. Held the cap with small cheap spring, sandwiched between flat washers. A couple of hex nuts hold everything in place. I'd make the stack length shorter next time.