PDA

View Full Version : Cascade Smoker Arrived

Porcine Aviator
09-08-2017, 04:40 PM
My Cascade Smoker has arrived and I have had one cook with ribs and another of pork butt. The unit performed flawlessly and maintained temps within ±6°F during the 10 hr and 5 hr cook. Burn rate is ≈ 1 pound of fuel/hour which allows about a 16 hour cook without refueling.

The fit and finish is excellent and the powder coated exterior is super. Doors seal nice and tight. The large bearing wheels make moving the unit easy, even though it weighs about 665 lbs. Looks like I will be using this unit quite a bit because of the ease of use.

Hope to do a brisket this weekend.

SwineGuy
09-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Looks great. Enjoy your new weapon!

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
09-08-2017, 04:48 PM
congrats on the new smoker. Looks really nice.

Porcine Aviator
09-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks Swine Guy— used to have a summer home in Miller Place, I miss it dearly.

SwineGuy
09-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Thanks Swine Guy— used to have a summer home in Miller Place, I miss it dearly.

When I walk out my front door and cross the yellow line in the road in front of my house I am in Miller Place! I'm on the border, its literally right across the street.

Mikhail
09-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Nice... I just went to their website. Nice product!

Many happy cooks to come.

Porcine Aviator
09-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Should be LuckyGuy not SwineGuy.

RJ_Make
09-08-2017, 05:53 PM
All these new machines around here looking good.

wihint
09-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Great looking cooker for sure!

CeramicChef
09-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Congrats to you! Use it in great health. Enjoy!

toymaster
09-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Good looking smoker :thumb:

LloydQ
09-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Very nice, and the first time I have seen one! Congratulations!

SmittyJonz
09-08-2017, 10:24 PM
:thumb:

pjtexas1
09-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Nice! Looks very well made.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Cook pics please!

Porcine Aviator
09-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Cook pics please!

Just some ribs for now, will send a brisket if I do one tomorrow.

Porcine Aviator
09-09-2017, 06:22 PM
I forgot to say that a vertical design cooker is new for me. Never used one before, so I have a bit of learning to do. So far I'm impressed, I usually use an offset.

I noticed that some guys throw veggies, like onions and corn cobs, into their fireboxes. Does this affect the taste of the product or just produce tantalizing smoke?

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-10-2017, 01:45 AM
I forgot to say that a vertical design cooker is new for me. Never used one before, so I have a bit of learning to do. So far I'm impressed, I usually use an offset.

I noticed that some guys throw veggies, like onions and corn cobs, into their fireboxes. Does this affect the taste of the product or just produce tantalizing smoke?

Hell yeah! I'm loving the crimson color on your ribs! How'd you get that redness to pop so nicely? Mine tend to be brown/maroon but not bright red

Porcine Aviator
09-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Hell yeah! I'm loving the crimson color on your ribs! How'd you get that redness to pop so nicely? Mine tend to be brown/maroon but not bright red

I use apricot wood which imparts some of the red. I really like the apricot on ribs, and the smoke scent drives the neighbors crazy. Finished with Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce mixed with some melted butter.

ssuh
09-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Ribs look great! Where do you get apricot wood? My suppliers have plenty of almond and orange, but no apricot...

angryelfFan
09-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Congrats! Enjoy!!

Porcine Aviator
09-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Ribs look great! Where do you get apricot wood? My suppliers have plenty of almond and orange, but no apricot...

I have apricot trees, and some neighbors do too. When we trim the sucker branches, in the spring, I collect them and save for accent wood. I use oak for heat and apricot for accent. Plum is really good too. A small amount of the apricot on top of the Oak goes a long way in flavor.

Do you like the Orange? Haven't tried it yet. I have lots of citrus, including Sapote and Grapefruit but like the Plum and Apricot best so far. Don't like Avocado much.

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Brisket pics please! You inspired me to check out cascade smokers cause I'm in the market for a vertical. How are you liking their vertical reverse flow?

Titch
09-11-2017, 04:19 AM
great looking smoker mate, when it weighs so much is it stable to push around?
Looks like a small footprint from the pictures

Porcine Aviator
09-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Brisket pics please! You inspired me to check out cascade smokers cause I'm in the market for a vertical. How are you liking their vertical reverse flow?

I must say that I am really impressed by the performance of this unit. My thought was that I would use this on lazy days when I did not want to tend the Lang, and on chicken and such.

I am totally amazed by the ease of use and the quality of the results. I find that starting takes about 45 minutes for warmup, and once you know where to set the opening on the air valve, it maintains a solid ±5° for as long as there is fuel ( about 15 hours). I thought that I would need a controller, but doesn't seem so.

Most importantly, of course, is the food quality. I was worried that this type of design might not deliver the smoke profile I really enjoy— and can could only get on an offset. Ample clean smoke on Ribs and Butt, and I am looking forward to a brisket this week. This thing is seducing me.

My Thermoworks Smoke is off to service so I can't try out my new Gateway until it returns. When I get it back, I will graph an entire cook.

There are a lot of good Verticals, of course, but being in the West, I would check the Cascade out. I think the quality is second to none, and you can customize. Super attention to detail, even the wheels are super quality ( ball bearing) and easy rolling.

Porcine Aviator
09-11-2017, 08:55 AM
great looking smoker mate, when it weighs so much is it stable to push around?
Looks like a small footprint from the pictures

It has ball bearing wheels and rolls quite easily over hard surfaces. It feels quite stable. If you have a special application ( like over a lawn), I am sure you can order any type of wheel you like.

ssuh
09-11-2017, 04:19 PM
I have apricot trees, and some neighbors do too. When we trim the sucker branches, in the spring, I collect them and save for accent wood. I use oak for heat and apricot for accent. Plum is really good too. A small amount of the apricot on top of the Oak goes a long way in flavor.

Do you like the Orange? Haven't tried it yet. I have lots of citrus, including Sapote and Grapefruit but like the Plum and Apricot best so far. Don't like Avocado much.

I do like orange wood... It's a new flavor to me that is great for poultry. I've actually been avoiding it until now because I read some misinformation about citrus wood... Probably on this forum!! Dangers of internet research. But my wood guy has been cooking on orange wood for years and assured me it was safe. I'm glad-- we've got tons of orange groves in Calif!

luv2smoke
09-12-2017, 03:45 AM
Here's my smoker from Cascade Smokers. As Porcine Aviator stated it's extremely easy to use and holds temperatures rock solid. Thus far I've seen no need for a temperature controller.

Neil
09-12-2017, 04:22 AM
Sweet! Nice looking smoker.

Porcine Aviator
09-12-2017, 05:03 PM
LUV2SMOKE:

Wow!, didn't know they make them that large— Looks like a restaurant size unit. How much fuel does it burn/hour?

Notorious Q.U.E.
09-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Porcine, thanks for the write up . I like what I see and it's nice to hear about 15 hours set and forget. How about the boredom factor compared to the Lang? I feel like the hopelessly hypnotized caveman who needs to poke at flaming logs

pjtexas1
09-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Porcine, thanks for the write up . I like what I see and it's nice to hear about 15 hours set and forget. How about the boredom factor compared to the Lang? I feel like the hopelessly hypnotized caveman who needs to poke at flaming logsMaybe you should be looking at a GF. You can feed it logs and still have it run all night unattended.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Porcine Aviator
09-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Porcine, thanks for the write up . I like what I see and it's nice to hear about 15 hours set and forget. How about the boredom factor compared to the Lang? I feel like the hopelessly hypnotized caveman who needs to poke at flaming logs

My wife finds plenty of things for me to do.

Macky
09-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Nice looking cooking machine! Mac

luv2smoke
09-13-2017, 08:08 PM
LUV2SMOKE:

Wow!, didn't know they make them that large— Looks like a restaurant size unit. How much fuel does it burn/hour?

My biggest cook so far has been 8 pork butts and 6 racks of ribs and it consumed about a pound of fuel an hour cooking at 275. I would imagine the smoker will consume a little more once fully loaded.
I wished I knew how to get my pictures vertical instead of horizontal as some of mine posted. The pictures leave my computer vertical yet wind up horizontal on the forum.

Porcine Aviator
09-15-2017, 05:05 PM
My biggest cook so far has been 8 pork butts and 6 racks of ribs and it consumed about a pound of fuel an hour cooking at 275. I would imagine the smoker will consume a little more once fully loaded.
I wished I knew how to get my pictures vertical instead of horizontal as some of mine posted. The pictures leave my computer vertical yet wind up horizontal on the forum.

I am amazed by the efficiency, a pound/hour is a real cost saver. Don't know what the protocol is for rotating photos on here. My guess is that there is a vertical height limitation, and you must resize vertical photos to a smaller size to avoid flipping. Probably need to ask the moderator.

I have not used a water pan so far and it doesn't appear necessary.

Fot
07-29-2018, 05:08 PM
How are you guys still liking these smokers? Been a year or so, how have they held up? I was looking at these online and would love to hear a follow up .

70monte
07-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Also, Whatever happened to Notorius Q.U.E.? I never see him post anymore.

pjtexas1
07-29-2018, 10:35 PM
Also, Whatever happened to Notorius Q.U.E.? I never see him post anymore.He burned out... quick and fast! Seen a few do that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmittyJonz
07-29-2018, 10:37 PM
He burned out... quick and fast! Seen a few do that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HOA probally strung Him Up......... I remember him factoring in his HOA to his Smoker buying decisions........:twitch:

luv2smoke
07-30-2018, 02:42 AM
How are you guys still liking these smokers? Been a year or so, how have they held up? I was looking at these online and would love to hear a follow up .

Loving the smoker and can't imagine being without it.
It's been by far the best smoker I've owned and I've owned a lot of them. The smoker is holding up great as it appears to be built to withstand a nuclear holocaust. If you're a hands on guy and like to fiddle around feeding the fire and tending a BBQ throughout the duration of a cook then this may not be for you? The smoker once you get it to your desired temp pretty much runs itself with no need for fuel reloads etc. I ran the smoker for a huge cook( for me) 112 pork butts. The cook lasted 22 hours I was able to load 56 butts per cook and dId two consecutive cooks of 56 butts at a approximately 11 hours per cook for a total of approximately 22 hours consecutive. When the cook was complete I still had half a fuel box of unburned fuel. It's been a great cooker and I'm certain I'll get many years of service from it.
I recently ordered a "Que Deville" model to use for my small cooks as the "Whole Hog" is a bit of an overkill for just a couple racks of ribs and a brisket.

Porcine Aviator
08-02-2018, 10:54 AM

I couldn't be happier with the performance and ease of use of this unit. I almost exclusively used an offset forever, and then added a pellet unit about 20 years ago— when hardly anyone knew what they were.

Constantly buying wood, and keeping stacks of wood around my home, is a thing of the past. Although, the rattlesnakes are upset that I have razed their condominiums that the stacks provided. As I get older, I find that sitting around the house waiting to throw a stick into the firebox is so 20th century, and so this design has a lot to commend it if you don't like being chained to the smoker all day.

The pellet system was never satisfactory as far as smoke is concerned. At one time, I considered manufacturing pellet home heating stoves( about 30 years ago) and learned quite a bit about the characteristics of pellet combustion. Pellet burning technique is not compatible with producing wood flavor— only heat— I should have known better.

I can load about 12-14 hours of charcoal into the firebox with accent wood chunks and in 45 minutes the unit will run unattended at ±5° for the entire cook. I don't use any water inside the unit while cooking, and the smoke flavor is every bit as good as the offset.

I sold my offset and can't imagine ever using one again.

As for the quality, I have looked at most of the better quality verticals and I didn't find anything better than the Cascade. Everything is just solid feeling and the quality is obvious. If you are on the West Coast there is the obvious freight advantage also.

Big George's BBQ
08-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Very Nice Congrats and Enjoy

Richard_
08-02-2018, 10:53 PM
What model is that ? I've looked at them online , and they look pretty nice , and less expensive than Humphrey's

luv2smoke
08-03-2018, 01:23 PM
What model is that ? I've looked at them online , and they look pretty nice , and less expensive than Humphrey's

It looks like Porcine Aviator has the "Que Deville " model, the same one I just ordered.

Porcine Aviator
08-04-2018, 10:24 AM

It is the " Que DeVille" model with roll around stand and stainless prep shelf.

WiscoKid
08-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Have enjoyed reading this thread, thank you. I have a question for Luv2smoke and Porcine. What do you gents use for fuel? Do you have a particular favorite brand? Your efficiency is impressive.

luv2smoke
08-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Personally I have no particular favorite brand. I usually use what's on sale whether it's briquettes or lump. I've probably run Kingsford briquettes more than anything else simply because of sales. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's briquettes or lump as the results have been consistently good.

Porcine Aviator
08-05-2018, 08:08 PM
I'm with luv2smoke on fuel decisions, and usually just use Kingford. Lump doesn't seem to affect taste and I find that it is hard to stack in the burn box in a consistent density due to the irregular sizes of the pieces. Poor stacking of lump will cause some temperature fluctuation, unlike briquettes.

The most important aspect of loading the burn box is the choice of flavor wood for the type of food you're working with.

I use the usual chunks of oak, pecan,hickory, etc— but I also really like almond, orange, lemon, and plum.

On ribs and butts I place 1/4 chunks of onion and corn cobs on top of the charcoal. Not only does it add flavor, but your neighbors will go coo-coo trying to find the origin of that tantalizing smoke.

On beef, some pieces of mesquite lump on top of the KFB add quite a bit of flavor.