PDA

View Full Version : jerky?

LMAJ
08-29-2017, 03:37 PM
I made it once a looooong time ago and was unimpressed. We like jerky, and as expensive as it is, I am sure I can make it cheaper and better.
Hit me with your favorite recipes and techniques please!
I also see jerky guns - I assume you use ground meat for that - hows the texture of that once it's done?

IamMadMan
08-29-2017, 07:48 PM
I made it once a looooong time ago and was unimpressed. We like jerky, and as expensive as it is, I am sure I can make it cheaper and better.
Hit me with your favorite recipes and techniques please!
I also see jerky guns - I assume you use ground meat for that - hows the texture of that once it's done?

Yes the jerky guns are for ground meat. You can also roll it out with a rolling pin on an cookie sheet. The problem with the ground jerky, you have to use a higher temperature to dry it (cook) after you press it (or extrude it from jerky gun) to help the proteins bond to form a solid piece.

If you want to use ground meat, you should opt for snack sticks rather than jerky. The casing allows you to cold smoke before bringing to a drying temperature. However to cold smoke and dry jerky, you have to use a cure due to the length of time the meat will be in the danger zone. You can dry jerky at a higher temperature without cold smoking, thus no need for a cure. But this will cook the jerky to kill the bacteria, thus changing texture and flavors.

As far as jerky itself, the type of meat, marinade, smoking time, and drying temperature will effect both flavor and texture. I prefer to use a beef eye of round roast. Be sure to trim the fat on the outside, over time the fat will turn rancid because it is an unsaturated fat (Oxidative rancidity is associated with the degradation by oxygen in the air).

Making Jerky is really easy and you don't need a dehydrator to make great jerky, a low temp in the smoker is all that you need, that way you get smoked meat flavor without having to use the dreadful liquid smoke. The cure (Morton Tender Quick) is important to prevent food borne illnesses.

If you have never made jerky before, I would suggest buying a jerky kit from The Sausage Maker. or a Hi Mountain kit available through most sporting goods stores. These have the seasoning and the cure in proper proportions and are almost fool-proof for the beginner. This will let you safely learn the basics as you order in the components to make it yourself the next time.

I use a whole eye of round beef roast, trim of what little fat is there and run it through the deli slicer (or by hand). Marinate and cure overnight then lay on racks to dry until tacky. I smoke for 2 hours with cold smoke then raise the smoker to 110 until it is dry.

The finished product should not be stiff but not break when folded in half. When folding it should create a distinct white line where it was folded without breaking in half

=======================================

Mild Jerky
This recipe is for 5 pounds venison / beef.

2 Tablespoons of Tender Quick®
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup of brown sugar
4 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of fine grind black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison / beef.

Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

Cracked Black Pepper Jerky
cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1 teaspoons of seasoned salt
3 Tablespoons of coarse grind black pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon of onion powder
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick® curing mix

Make sure that the salt is completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.

Marinate at least one day or and up to two days. Remove from marinade and let air dry on racks until "Tacky" to the touch.
Season with cracked or coarse ground black pepper if desired before smoking.

Cold smoke for 1-2 hours (no heat), then raise smoker temperature to 100° to 110° and smoke until dry but slightly pliable.

Good luck and keep us posted .....................

Blowin' Smoke
08-29-2017, 09:21 PM
I used Alton Browns recipe last time and it was pretty cheap and tasty. I usually marinate overnight, pull from the marinade straight onto my dehydrator racks, pat dry and start the dehydrator. I'm running an Excaliber dehydrator at the jerky temp (180) but I always feel like my jerky gets too dry. Maybe use a lower setting?

Stlsportster
08-29-2017, 10:46 PM
I just did jerky a few weeks ago using the premixed package from Owens BBQ. Super easy and super good!

Check it out here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249827

blazinfire
08-29-2017, 10:57 PM
My go to jerky experience is Hi-Mountain Jerky seasoning. it doesn't take a genius to mix a cure and seasoning together. I use this stuff on deer or beef. I have threads on jerky in the vertical offset, but If photobucket is still being King of worst image hosting service You might not be able to see the pictures.

I haven't done ground meat for jerky as I like using sliced meat instead. I prefer the texture of the sliced meat better.

For smoking I've tried a few different routes. My favorite is full on smoke in the vertical offset. My vertical offset can fit oven grates perfectly in the cook chamber and I hang jerky off tooth picks. I use a very small fire (very small) and hold temps between 150-160 no higher than 170 til done.

I have also smoked jerky using the snake method on the WSM. It worked fairly well but found out early on using both racks was almost impossible due temp and how I covered the water pan with foil. The bottom rack didn't dehydrate like I expected. Using the snake method I could do one batch with just the top rack of the WSM 18.

ncmoose
08-29-2017, 11:51 PM
I've been more than satisfied with the Hi-Mountain stuff and I always do sliced whole muscle, not ground.

ebijack
08-30-2017, 05:44 AM
Wife,friends and I love jerky. But prefer the jerky to be tender. Much easier to eat/chew. We don't mind having to keep in the fridge. I use flank steak for the flavor. Slice at an angle and cross grain. Marinate in teriyaki (make my own, it is simple) for 30-60 mins max or it can get over powering. I use my regular dry rub on top of the slices before going into the smoker.. Smoke around 200*+-. Till done. Typically around 2 hours.
No one knows how long it will actually last. As it is always gone within a week, if that long.
Flank steak is not cheap. And no comparison in taste IMHO.

Smoke Dawg
08-30-2017, 06:04 AM
London Broil is a great cut to make jerky for beef. Deer or elk, just about any cut

zippy12
08-30-2017, 08:47 AM
Yes the jerky guns are for ground meat. You can also roll it out with a rolling pin on an cookie sheet. The problem with the ground jerky, you have to use a higher temperature to dry it (cook) after you press it (or extrude it from jerky gun) to help the proteins bond to form a solid piece.

If you want to use ground meat, you should opt for snack sticks rather than jerky. The casing allows you to cold smoke before bringing to a drying temperature. However to cold smoke and dry jerky, you have to use a cure due to the length of time the meat will be in the danger zone. You can dry jerky at a higher temperature without cold smoking, thus no need for a cure. But this will cook the jerky to kill the bacteria, thus changing texture and flavors.

As far as jerky itself, the type of meat, marinade, smoking time, and drying temperature will effect both flavor and texture. I prefer to use a beef eye of round roast. Be sure to trim the fat on the outside, over time the fat will turn rancid because it is an unsaturated fat (Oxidative rancidity is associated with the degradation by oxygen in the air).

Making Jerky is really easy and you don't need a dehydrator to make great jerky, a low temp in the smoker is all that you need, that way you get smoked meat flavor without having to use the dreadful liquid smoke. The cure (Morton Tender Quick) is important to prevent food borne illnesses.

If you have never made jerky before, I would suggest buying a jerky kit from The Sausage Maker. or a Hi Mountain kit available through most sporting goods stores. These have the seasoning and the cure in proper proportions and are almost fool-proof for the beginner. This will let you safely learn the basics as you order in the components to make it yourself the next time.

I use a whole eye of round beef roast, trim of what little fat is there and run it through the deli slicer (or by hand). Marinate and cure overnight then lay on racks to dry until tacky. I smoke for 2 hours with cold smoke then raise the smoker to 110 until it is dry.

The finished product should not be stiff but not break when folded in half. When folding it should create a distinct white line where it was folded without breaking in half

Mild Jerky

1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison / beef.

cracked black pepper is sprinkled on before drying. Coarse ground black pepper can be used in place of cracked pepper.

1/4 cup of soy sauce

Make sure that the salt is completely dissolved before pouring the marinade over the venison.

The SmokingMeatForum had some additional Jerkey food born illness prevention tips. Besides adding Cure 1 to prevent botulism you need to heat the meat to 160 (cook it) before drying it to make jerkey to prevent other bad bugs

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/261843/good-article-on-jerky-safety

ebijack
08-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Today's batch I just got on for a party this weekend.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/4oo7db.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pn4oo7dbj)

ml8163
08-30-2017, 02:30 PM
Here is a ground jerky recipe that I like a lot and use with a dehydrator.

Ground Beef Jerky Recipe Using a Jerky Gun
-----------------------------------------------------------
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound lean ground beef

In a glass bowl, combine all ingredients and let sit (refrigerated) for at least two hours. I mixed this up at bedtime and let it sit until after lunch the next day, and it wasn’t too strong. I’d stick to three hours of less if you used beef strips.

Load the mixture in the jerky gun and use the gun to load your dehydrator trays. .

IamMadMan
08-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Mild Jerky

1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 cup of soy sauce

The SmokingMeatForum had some additional Jerkey food born illness prevention tips. Besides adding Cure 1 to prevent botulism you need to heat the meat to 160 (cook it) before drying it to make jerkey to prevent other bad bugs

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/261843/good-article-on-jerky-safety

I mention that in the second paragraph, but thanks for pointing that out in case LMAJ missed it as well. You only need the cure if you are cold smoking and drying at a low temperature for an extended period of time.

ebijack
08-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Done and cooled.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/DP1CEM.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnDP1CEMj)

LMAJ
08-30-2017, 03:33 PM
Thanks all - going to order dome Hi Mountain cure...

Kybigmac
08-31-2017, 08:59 AM
When my son was still at home we made it with venison backstrape,sliced thin and marinated overnight in 'Dales Steak marinade '. The next morning pat it dry and put on dehydrater. It used to drive the dog nuts,she loved it. Now that the son lives in Atlanta and I got old ,we don't hunt anymore. This is a very simple way to make it and it sure is good.