PDA

View Full Version : Drum Smoker - Question On Location For Side Handles?

thirdeye
08-28-2017, 07:43 PM
I have a pair of BDSs that are now about 12 years old and I finally want to add a couple of side handles for loading and unloading into a pickup. Looking for input on location so I don't miss something obvious. Any comments on handle height from the top of drum would be appreciated. I'm going to match the style of handle on the lid.

My drums are about 6" taller than a standard drum and don't have a expansion ring in the area where the grates are... so I'm somewhat wide open for location of the handle.

http://i.imgur.com/tNVkf.jpg

homesmoke
08-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Put the drum on the truck tailgate, and then see where on the drum you can comfortably reach up to, that will allow you to safely lift from. Your arms reaching up onto your drum are the only measurements that matter. Truck heights differ, and your drums, and your arms, will tell you where to put the handles.

jham0077
08-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Stand with your hands by your side, a few inches below where they hit is good handle placement too.

thirdeye
08-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Put the drum on the truck tailgate, and then see where on the drum you can comfortably reach up to, that will allow you to safely lift from. Your arms reaching up onto your drum are the only measurements that matter. Truck heights differ, and your drums, and your arms, will tell you where to put the handles.

I'm liking this logic. I have two pickups, one is a 1 ton 4X4 Ford and the other is a 90's era Toyota 2-wheel drive I use for hauling around town and runs to the dump. The end gate is really low, so it's very easy to load and unload things.

thirdeye
08-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Stand with your hands by your side, a few inches below where they hit is good handle placement too.

Thanks for this idea too. This almost sounds like the time I got measured for crutches and a cane. :twitch:

Nuco59
08-28-2017, 09:25 PM
My vote is closer to the top than the bottom...unless you are wanting to dump ashes. :grin:

Folk come in different sizes- put them where you find them most comfortable.

10miler
08-28-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm on about page 36 of the mother of all UDS threads (hope to finish reading it by years end!) and someone mentioned attaching a couple of D-rings and using a bungee to carry the drum. Just thought I'd mention it.