PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Aussie 6 burner event grill

Swede
08-27-2017, 11:36 PM
Found one used for $40, if it's not rotten out I'm thinking of getting it and making a 1/2 griddle and keep the other half open for cooking things that need a boiling pot of water.

My heart is with my kamado and offset, but I would sure like a little more versatility for my outdoor cook area.

One other plus, I'm the family chef, so for big burger cooks on the go, the portability could be a plus.

Anyone have one, are they any good?

quamdar
08-28-2017, 04:09 AM
I don't know about that brand but for that price I say go for it. I know the sams club event grill works great for what it is, a cheap grill that can easily cook for large groups. Not sure if they're similar though.

IamMadMan
08-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Keep us posted...

Swede
08-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Well, you guys know as well as I do, you don't leave a deal sitting even if you don't technically need it.

I went and had a look at it, a good cleaning, a few screws missing, and a little freshening up with some bbq paint and it's well worth the $40 the guy was asking. Heck, he even gave me a 40lb box of fresh potatoes!

It does need the flame gaurds/heat plates, they're completely gone. Burners were good, bottom was solid, and frame was solid. Even the electronic igniter works on ALL SIX burners!!!

I'll get some pics up once I get them on my computer...

Swede
08-28-2017, 08:21 PM
I don't know about that brand but for that price I say go for it. I know the sams club event grill works great for what it is, a cheap grill that can easily cook for large groups. Not sure if they're similar though.

It's exactly the same thing, just a different brand (Home Depot sold them a few years back). Like the chuck wagon grill from Costco or Sams in the US from what I can see.

Looks like they start at about 350-500, so I figure I made out like a bandit here.

Swede
08-30-2017, 01:05 AM
So, here it is.

A good cleaning with a scraper, pressure washer, and some Varsol to degrease it took care of the worst. Thankfully, all the grease preserved the internals very nicely. The heat deflectors were rotten so I made some out of 14 gauge steel and welded them to straps to make a one piece lift out deflector module (I'll put up pics of that tomorrow.)

This will be a great addition to my outdoor kitchen, and fantastic for when I'm called on to be the grill guy for big family cookouts. I really cant wait to put this thing to use like it's meant to be used :clap2: