PDA

View Full Version : How often do you re-season your offset firebox?

Smoke5280
08-26-2017, 04:34 PM
How often do you re-season the inside of the firebox on your offset?
What say you folks?

Notorious Q.U.E.
08-26-2017, 04:39 PM
I've never bothered seasoning the firebox. Granted, you've got a grilling firebox so that's different. I just think of seasoning as a One and Done unless you power wash which I don't .

What become of the paint on your firebox lid? Did LSG make it right?

Smoke5280
08-26-2017, 04:55 PM
They sent me a can of paint so yeah they made it right. I think I would have been okay if I didn't put them on there during the break in. Paint seems to be cured now. I look forward to seeing which way you go!

SmittyJonz
08-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Never. It just burns off. I just repaint outside occasionally.

pjtexas1
08-26-2017, 05:33 PM
If I'm not going to use for a long time I will spray the inside of the fb with pam. I don't do it to season just to maybe slow the rust a little as it will all burn off when I light the next fire.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Smoke5280
08-26-2017, 06:00 PM
This is good hear. I talked to Chris the other day about some accessories and we got to talking and he mentioned I should treat the firebox
Like a castiron skillet and clean out the ash and spray it with oil after every cook. I get the ash part but relubing every time seems like a PITA. I did it today and it wasn't fun.

BBQ Freak
08-26-2017, 07:52 PM
I would maybe spray the inside of the fir box if kept outside with pam in between cooks to keep from rusting and just make sure to clean out all ash when done cooking .

Notorious Q.U.E.
08-26-2017, 08:23 PM
This is good hear. I talked to Chris the other day about some accessories and we got to talking and he mentioned I should treat the firebox
Like a castiron skillet and clean out the ash and spray it with oil after every cook. I get the ash part but relubing every time seems like a PITA. I did it today and it wasn't fun.

The ash clean out for sure but re lube each time is a high standard. Maybe Chris is relaying the textbook perfect way to keep it

Melt In The Sun
08-26-2017, 08:56 PM
I have never done it. I should. I guess in a few more years I'll be able to tell you how long it takes to rust through a 1/4" firebox.......

pjtexas1
08-26-2017, 09:00 PM
I'm guessing if chris didn't tell you this then someone would find a way to complain about rust in their fb.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BillN
08-27-2017, 12:15 PM
I have on occasion sprayed a little PAM on the outside of my smoker (cool) and wiped it off with a damp rag. Made it look really nice and did not become sticky.

Springram
08-28-2017, 11:34 AM

I clean out the ashes in the firebox after each cook. Then use a small shop vac to clean out the remaining ashes. I then spray and wipe the interior of the firebox with canola oil. Takes about a minute. Once you develop your own system, it does not takes very long at all. The spray and wipe procedure was encouraged by Chris at LSG in the instructions that came with my VO.

The Wookiee
08-28-2017, 11:55 AM
I wipe down outside of FB with Pam or wd40 when cooling down after a cook when able to keep it seasoned. I did the inside with Pam once after I gave it a good scraping to get all the char off then 'reseason'.... de-ash every time but with 1/2 " FB and that heavy ash pan in there I think intermittent internal FB seasoning is more than enough

4ever3
08-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Season a firebox?

Bob C Cue
08-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Season a firebox?

Another helpful post.

Smoke5280
08-28-2017, 01:18 PM
I clean out the ashes in the firebox after each cook. Then use a small shop vac to clean out the remaining ashes. I then spray and wipe the interior of the firebox with canola oil. Takes about a minute. Once you develop your own system, it does not takes very long at all. The spray and wipe procedure was encouraged by Chris at LSG in the instructions that came with my VO.

Man, I need to work on my technique, it took me better part of an hour! I think I got a little carried away with the wipe down part. I've been using a shopvac as well after getting out the heavy stuff.

Jrogers84
08-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Seasoning the inside of a firebox is not possible. The temps are way too high and it will burn off every single cook. If you wanted to coat it in oil after use it would protect it from rusting between use but it would never actually season. It would just burn off on the next cook

4ever3
08-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Another helpful post.

I asked a question.... What is it that you would like to add?

Smoke5280
08-28-2017, 02:21 PM
My bad on using the word seasoning, how about lube job or firebox maintenance instead.

The Wookiee
08-28-2017, 02:32 PM
I asked a question.... What is it that you would like to add?

I think he actually means a good discussion... not sarcastic

JacksBBQ
08-28-2017, 03:07 PM
I just use my Ash Vac to clean out it out after each cook.