PDA

View Full Version : Filling the Shirley Time Question

jbounds286
08-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Have a 24x60 SF and have been asked by the local middle school to smoke some pork butts. It's the cabinet door model with 2 racks. My question is...how many butts do you guys think will fit in there and how long(@275 degrees) should I allot to cook them when the thing is filled up completely? Just trying to figure out the situation.

Going to be making pulled pork sandwiches and serving with a side of chips.(Thinking 1/3 or a 1/4 lb of meat for each sandwich)

Thanks in advance!

BillN
08-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Little more clarification, what are the butts for? Are you cooking them to be served for later use or for a specific event? Do you know how many servings they are looking for?

jbounds286
08-25-2017, 02:02 PM
just looking for max capacity really....i dont have the details yet...just trying to get an idea on what is possible...edited original for more details tho

W.I.T.W.A.G?
08-25-2017, 02:20 PM
when filling up any cooker with pork I like to leave each one a little room to breath to ensure a good bark. For a rough estimate I say each shoulder gets a 12 x 12 space. That calculation would put you at 10 per rack (20 total). Not sure how many people they're expecting but that's a whole lotta Rosie:shock:

pjtexas1
08-25-2017, 03:09 PM
add about an hour to the normal cook time to be safe. they really won't cook too much slower you will just use more fuel to get and hold the temp. as long as there is space between the butts you should be good. don't forget you can throw butts in the warmer, maybe 4 per rack. glad to see you are still alive. also, don't forget to drain the fat as you go. that might be a huge mess to clean if you let it cool off.

pjtexas1
08-25-2017, 03:36 PM
found this pic of Buttburners 24x65.

PatAttack
08-25-2017, 03:41 PM
You should easily be able to fit 20 in there on the main racks.

At 275 they should be done in 6-8 hours.

How many mouths are you feeding?

jbounds286
08-27-2017, 03:59 AM
add about an hour to the normal cook time to be safe. they really won't cook too much slower you will just use more fuel to get and hold the temp. as long as there is space between the butts you should be good. don't forget you can throw butts in the warmer, maybe 4 per rack. glad to see you are still alive. also, don't forget to drain the fat as you go. that might be a huge mess to clean if you let it cool off.

Haha yes I'm still alive...just alot of stuff going on lately. Thanks for the advice!

DubfromGA
08-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Great smoker, OP and great fun will be had seeing them enjoy those eats.

I'm looking forward to the days ahead when I scratch up the dinero to order my Shirley, too.

Sweet smokers.

when filling up any cooker with pork I like to leave each one a little room to breath to ensure a good bark. For a rough estimate I say each shoulder gets a 12 x 12 space. That calculation would put you at 10 per rack (20 total). Not sure how many people they're expecting but that's a whole lotta Rosie:shock:

And now I know what song I'm going to cook off my butt & rib cook today with !!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/67lANgB.png (http://imgur.com/67lANgB)