PDA

View Full Version : Walnut - Good for Smoking?

txsmkmstr
08-24-2017, 09:45 AM
I was re-stocking my hickory stash and my supplier had some walnut at a decent price. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it and if so, what flavor profile to expect.

So, what say the Brethren???

sleebus.jones
08-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Read here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236637

DL;DR No.

Deanr
08-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Good question. I always avoided walnut because of my woodworking background. Beautiful wood, just avoid the sawdust. I think sawmills sometimes keep their walnut sawdust separate because the horse folks can't use it for bedding. Thus I assumed it is bad for smoking.

After a google search and reading through the above thread, I didn't find anyone that had used it and had problems with it. Apparently it is on the strong side, but several said they use it and like it.

As I have some short cutoffs from woodworking I think I will have to give it a try.

IamMadMan
08-24-2017, 02:26 PM
I've used Black Walnut, it can be over-powering if not seasoned for at least a year.

Also like anything else, too much of a good thing can be bad. Use a mixture of Black Walnut and Oak or a mixture of Black Walnut and Maple to get the flavor you desire. Much like orange wood, it can be overpowering if you use too much, but using it with a lighter wood will make a great smoke flavor.

CeramicChef
08-24-2017, 02:35 PM
I've found that just about of the nut woods make good smoke woods within reason. As was mentioned above, walnut can be overpowering in large quantities. I ruined a couple of briskets using walnut. It's a fair amount stronger than hickory. Stick with chunks ... they are most likely to be untreated. Don't mess with furniture scraps or sawmill scraps as those could have chemicals on them that you don't want on your cook. With walnut, a little goes a LONG ways.

Good luck and enjoy!

txsmkmstr
08-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Ah Geez..... the ol' Search function. :frusty:

Should have started there. Regardless, many thanks for the input. I'll likely pass on the walnut. I'm pretty satisfied with my hickory stash.

cats49er
08-24-2017, 05:25 PM
I would rather make something out of walnut.I've always loved beautiful wood of any kind.

BBQ Freak
08-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Ah Geez..... the ol' Search function. :frusty:

Should have started there. Regardless, many thanks for the input. I'll likely pass on the walnut. I'm pretty satisfied with my hickory stash.

stick with your Hickory , Walnut is real bitter .

cheez59
08-24-2017, 07:45 PM
I've found that just about of the nut woods make good smoke woods within reason. As was mentioned above, walnut can be overpowering in large quantities. I ruined a couple of briskets using walnut. It's a fair amount stronger than hickory. Stick with chunks ... they are most likely to be untreated. Don't mess with furniture scraps or sawmill scraps as those could have chemicals on them that you don't want on your cook. With walnut, a little goes a LONG ways.

Good luck and enjoy!

Exactly what chemicals would be on sawmill scraps?