PDA

View Full Version : Paella on the Kamado

sdpike
08-23-2017, 07:04 AM
I was having relatives over for dinner last night and had decided to make a Paella. My pan is 22 inch which makes it difficult to cook on a stove, constant rotating for even heat. So, it hit me to try it on my Kamado, which is a 24 inch. It fit great with a enough space around for the fire to get sufficient air. The handles rested on the edge so no grate was needed. Cooking this way provided perfect even heat, some rotation needed but not much. When it was almost done I closed the lid to finish and create the Saccorot. The lid didn't completely close but was good enough.
it came out perfect and everyone couldn't get enough. Next time I'll take pictures. But I wanted to share with you all, so if so inclined you'd give it a go. BTW, if you have a smaller pan, just set it on the grate. Enjoy!

Jrogers84
08-23-2017, 07:12 AM
I cant explain how sad I am you didnt take pics. I LOVE paella. Good thinking on the Kamado use

BillATL
08-23-2017, 12:47 PM
If you haven't seen it, NakedWhiz isn't just a lump charcoal database, there's also a great section on paella cooked on a kamado:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

I love making paella this way, glad your's turned out well

FTTH
08-23-2017, 01:59 PM
I've got an 18 and 15 inch paella pan. I only cook it in the kettle. Nothing better and added smoke makes it taste especially authentic. The step by step process in making it properly is really an art best enjoyed outside the house or camping. As Bill said NAKEDWHIZ is a fantastic resource as is La Tienda.

sdpike
08-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Next time pictures. I agree the charcoal fire gave it a gr at taste.