PDA

View Full Version : Shirley Fabrication upgrades

Blowin' Smoke
08-22-2017, 09:31 PM
I've narrowed down my wants/needs, as well as tried to free up some cash for my new Shirley. I'm going with the 24x50 Patio model, cabinet doors, warming box with extra grate, stainless shelf, and both dampers. I can't decide if I should upgrade my firebox to 3/8" or 1/2", or if even at all. I live in south MS so temp isn't quite an issue, but for longevity will the 1/4" firebox last? And the other question is in regards to the wheels. Will the standard wheels on the patio allow for easy moving? I'll be keeping it in my garage and rolling through grass and onto my porch to cook.

SmittyJonz
08-22-2017, 09:32 PM
I'd do like Hotch and add a trailer........ :heh:

ncmoose
08-22-2017, 09:37 PM
I think if you clean out the ash and keep it dry, 1/4 will last longer than anyone on this forum.

pjtexas1
08-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Here's my .02, go insulated or 1/4". My old offset was made in the 80's. I bought it used and it was at least 15 years old. I used it for another 10 and didn't always keep it covered and it was never under a roof. Sold it and it probably had another 10 years left in it. If you are worried get an ash pan for the fb and clean it out after every cook. Never let water in the fb. It will last a very, very long time. Get the biggest wheels you can to make it easier to roll on grass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Blowin' Smoke
08-22-2017, 09:45 PM
I'd do like Hotch and add a trailer........ :heh:

Believe me. I started out with the patio, and before long I was justifying why I may need the 24x60 trailer one day...but for where we are now I don't have the space to keep the trailer covered unless I kick my wife out of the garage. So the patio will more than suit our needs for now.

ncmoose
08-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Believe me. I started out with the patio, and before long I was justifying why I may need the 24x60 trailer one day...but for where we are now I don't have the space to keep the trailer covered unless I kick my wife out of the garage. So the patio will more than suit our needs for now.

If you've already made the move to make her live in the garage, displacing her for the smoker shouldn't be a big deal.:-P

Notorious Q.U.E.
08-22-2017, 10:02 PM
I've got the bare bones version of the 24 x 50. Stock wheels are way beyond almost any other cooker on the market. Me and two other guys moved it over uneven grass on a sloped backyard relatively easily. I have 4 wheel chocks and treat it like a parked aircraft. It's tipping the scales at about a 1000 pounds. If this beast got rolling, it'd take out the fence like a bunch of matchsticks!

I'm a believer in thick metal because of the wind and precipitation out here. To me, get the heartiest firebox your wallet can bear. I adore my Shirley and I plan on handing it down to my son when I'm not strong enough to open the door when I'm old and frail. This thing will last for more than just one lifetime. Buy once, cry once!

sylntghost
08-23-2017, 06:36 AM
I live in Pensacola and I went with 1/2 thick firebox on both my cookers. I just like the idea of the thicker metal. I also have a ash pan. So my fire boxes are good till the end of the world.:becky:

Hotch
08-23-2017, 07:31 AM
I've cook on BGE's for years. I'm used to cleaning out a fire box!
That said I'm going to do as Tyler said in the FB live event a few days back.
"I just use aluminum foil on the bottom of the fire box. Makes it easy to clean out"

Shagdog
08-23-2017, 07:39 AM
If you can upgrade to the wagon wheels, there is no doubt that it will make it easier to move across the grass, I hope your path is flat and short. These cookers are not light. I agree with PJ on the fire box. Especially if you're garaging it, just get the 1/4".(or the insulated) It'll last a lifetime.

Blowin' Smoke
08-23-2017, 09:15 AM
If you've already made the move to make her live in the garage, displacing her for the smoker shouldn't be a big deal.:-P

*My wife's car!! 👀

I'm going to give them a call today to get an estimate. I know when I talked to Tyler about a month ago their wait was ~20 months, so I guess I've got time to save for the extras! 🤣

pjtexas1
08-23-2017, 09:21 AM
the best thing to do is decide if you want one and then send in your deposit immediately. its a very small deposit. every month you go back and forth on making a decision is another month you have to wait and then the wait time can go up too.

Hotch
08-23-2017, 09:23 AM
If you even think that you may want to take it with you one time, go for the trailer.
That's why I had the conversion done. Added the removable trailer tongue to keep it short when not towing. Added a caster wheel to the trailer jack for mobility on pavement and bought a hand pull tow dolly just like the Shirley crew uses around the shop to move the cookers. It was like $75.00. Of course they made theirs!!

BBQ Freak
08-23-2017, 10:55 AM
keeping you fire box clean of ash and dry is the best preventing of rust and I remove it after every cook . The 1/4" will last a life time but I have had the insulted but I am choosing the go with the 1/2" this time just for that added life for passing it on to my grand kids someday .

Blowin' Smoke
08-24-2017, 09:38 AM
I just saw Hotch's modified trailer rig for the 24x42. Hotch, what all can you fit on that CC of the 42? I might just go ahead and add the trailer to the mix.

pjtexas1
08-24-2017, 12:21 PM
I just saw Hotch's modified trailer rig for the 24x42. Hotch, what all can you fit on that CC of the 42? I might just go ahead and add the trailer to the mix.

i don't even think he's had a chance to cook on it yet. i have a cooker with 17x21 racks and i can fit 2 12-14LB briskets so i am guessing at least 3 briskets per rack and you can add a 3rd rack to get even more in there. you might get 4 if you get creative with how you place them on the racks. don't forget to subtract about 10" from the cook chamber size to get the actual rack size. i am guessing they are 24x32 or so since my 24x55 racks are 24x44.