PDA

View Full Version : Drilling for Additional Thermometer

Smokey-T
08-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Looking for some advise. I don't normally work with metal, so may be a silly question to some. I have a Meadow Creek TS120P that I just got and as seen in the picture, only one thermometer. I was wondering if I could get two additional, one on either side of center, drill a hole and mount?

Let me know if this metal is too thick to achieve this, or if not worth the effort.

Thanks,

Ted

Czarbecue
08-22-2017, 07:07 PM
A hole saw from a good brand will be sufficient. May need to spray the surface with some oil to keep things moving.

Nuco59
08-22-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure I'd bother. I think I'd use a remote probe thermometer on each end and cook on it a few times to see what your left to right temps are compared to your existing center mounted therm. One you get that all figured out, you can re purpose the digital thermometers to something like .... meat.

Dial therms are traditional and do look cool but I can easily do without having multiples.

Smokey-T
08-22-2017, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure I'd bother. I think I'd use a remote probe thermometer on each end and cook on it a few times to see what your left to right temps are compared to your existing center mounted therm. One you get that all figured out, you can re purpose the digital thermometers to something like .... meat.

Dial therms are traditional and do look cool but I can easily do without having multiples.

That is what I did with my first cook. Just wasn't sure if there was any value with three across the cooker.

Thanks!

pjtexas1
08-22-2017, 07:44 PM
That is what I did with my first cook. Just wasn't sure if there was any value with three across the cooker.

Thanks!It will make you feel better that you can see the temps as you walk by.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tom b
08-22-2017, 10:34 PM
mine had one in the center and I added another on each side but removed the center therm.... it made me feel better :noidea:

Big N Hot
08-23-2017, 02:49 AM
A carbide tipped hole saw will yield a cleaner cut and less work than most other options. Run your electric drill at a low speed and use a dash of cutting oil.

SmokerKing
08-23-2017, 08:05 AM
drill baby drill!

SmoothBoarBBQ
08-23-2017, 08:16 AM
I would recommend you don't attempt this unless you have metal working experience and the proper tools. If you're not sure you could easily do this perhaps taking it to a fabrication place would be the proper route.

Also, it's a reverse flow, so as long as you've got it level you should have a very even temp across the entire cooking grate... likely within 5 degrees at all times excluding start-up.