PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey's seasoning

Atomic City Smoker
08-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Hey everyone. Just recently joined the site, and it sounds like people like pictures, so I figured I would throw one of my new Weekender in "action" - sort of. I got some time to heat her up and set the seals. Then I coated her with some oil and did a seasoning run. I am impressed at how long it holds temp. I had it in the high 200s for almost 13 hours and still had a some fuel left.

However, my initial concern with this unit did rear it's head. I have never been a fan of daisy wheels for inlets. When I first received this unit, I thought it might be ok because the daisy wheel on this unit is substantially thicker than other units I have seen. However, it still lets in a little more air than I would like it to when I close it down. I think that for the time being, I am just going to build a snake setup in my firebox to help keep the temps lower. Over the winter, I think I will build a plate to cover the daisy wheel opening and attach a couple of ball valves to the plate.

I do have a quick question - do you guys have a good online source for hardwood?

Thanks,

Devin

pjtexas1
08-21-2017, 10:12 AM
congrats on the new cooker. i like the maze idea to keep the temps in check. also, in an insulated cabinet you need to get in and out of the cooker quickly. the extra oxygen stokes the fire and temps will rise. they are so well insulated that once it gets hot it can take hours to get the temp back down.

moej
08-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Atomic,

Weekenders are awesome cookers, I have 2. Humphrey's makes a Maze kit for the basket as well as a plate to replace the daisy wheel.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions, I have been cooking and competing on weekenders this year.