PDA

View Full Version : Beef dripping on pork.....or pork dripping on beef during a cook ???

DubfromGA
08-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Gonna smoke some spares, a butt and a chuckie tomorrow.

Cant fit it all on one grate.....using the WSM for the first time.

Which would you have on the top grate ?

Time is not a problem so I planned on running the WSM at 225 the entire cook.

Would be easier to get at the ribs if they were on top, but wasn't sure about having ribs dripping on the beef.

Maybe I'm overthinking this......:twitch:

wihint
08-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Beef on pork! Food safety

padge31
08-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Put the chuckie in a pan on top.

Stlsportster
08-13-2017, 08:47 PM
You got your peanut butter in my chocolate.

No, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter.

Jason TQ
08-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Doesn't matter. It's personal preference. Food safety only matters if you have still raw food dripping on things below it and you take off the things below the raw food before that raw food reaches its food safe temp.

Tons of BBQ joints use rotisserie pits where everything drips on everything.

The Wookiee
08-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Use the temp differential to your advantage... been a long time since I've used a WSM but i do remember there being a 30-60 degree difference between upper and lower. Plan around that as well as when you intend to pull things... you don't want low temp juices dripping on something finished you are pulling 1st. But if planning to finish around same time just stagger when you put on by approximate cook time given temp at that rack.

smoke ninja
08-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Beef on pork! Food safety

Food safety? Bad information

wihint
08-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Not true, he never said what his final temps would be. If we assume that they are all going to 193, 203 etc then that is fine. But the final cook temps were not listed and based on that I stated the that beef over pork is the proper way. If you can find fault in that logic please let me know.

jermoQ
08-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Since the ribs will be done before the roast if you start the same time, put them on top. Plus pork fat makes everything better so as long as the pork wont be raw while dripping, let that beef baste in awesomeness!

DubfromGA
08-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Not true, he never said what his final temps would be. If we assume that they are all going to 193, 203 etc then that is fine. But the final cook temps were not listed and based on that I stated the that beef over pork is the proper way. If you can find fault in that logic please let me know.

Final temps will vary...as I'm more concerned over when everything probes tender and feels ready.

I've never temp checked ribs....so I don't have a clue as to what it may be on them.

Butt & chuckie will likely be well over 200....most likely 205-209. Sorry.....I likes my meat tenda.

The Wookiee
08-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Beef over pork also works when (possibly) cooking for those that don't dig on swine

wihint
08-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Doesn't matter. It's personal preference. Food safety only matters if you have still raw food dripping on things below it and you take off the things below the raw food before that raw food reaches its food safe temp.

Tons of BBQ joints use rotisserie pits where everything drips on everything.

Jason you are absolutely correct professional restaurants do it all the time. He is a home cook and as such without listing final cooking temps etc is it not wise to error on the side of food safety? Never mind a cook log, thermometer calibration log, cooling log, date label that professionals use to ensure items are safe.

smoke ninja
08-13-2017, 09:21 PM

If he plans on cooking the meat to any reasonable level its moot.

If he plans on placing raw meat above cooked meat for several minutes and then immediately removing the cooked food there is no hope

Your response shows a lack of understanding of food saftey.

wihint
08-13-2017, 09:22 PM
If he plans on cooking the meat to any reasonable level its moot.

If he plans on placing raw meat above cooked meat for several minutes and then immediately removing the cooked food there is no hope

Your response shows a lack of understanding of food saftey.

Ditto, I do this for a living. You do this to beat home cooks in ribs.

BillN
08-13-2017, 09:23 PM
When ever I stack food on the grates the food on top is what comes off before the food on the bottom. I regularly cook wings over big hunks of meat, for example the wings come off early for lunch and the butts or whatever come off for dinner. In this case food safety is not an issue. A butt coming off at 200 plus several hours after wings does not pose a safety issue but it does add flavor.

smoke ninja
08-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Oh and id cook the brisket on top butt on bottom. When they finish. Would hold them and start the ribs. Everything ready at once

CeramicChef
08-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Why not just throw everything on the main grate of that KJ Big Joe you've got? Problem solved, right?

Meatguyver
08-14-2017, 12:04 AM
i agree PORK fat makes everything better, put ol hog on top!

DubfromGA
08-14-2017, 04:28 AM
Why not just throw everything on the main grate of that KJ Big Joe you've got? Problem solved, right?

I want to use the WSM on it's maiden voyage.

I have a need to get this thing up and running.

I have some future cooks on the horizon that will place a premium on mobility. A buddy has 2 of them....gonna join forces with him and do some fun stuff.

It'll also be the first time that I've used a BBQ Guru.

I'm hoping for a smooth run....but....at the first sign of trouble...the KJ will be fired up. :-D

Jason TQ
08-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Jason you are absolutely correct professional restaurants do it all the time. He is a home cook and as such without listing final cooking temps etc is it not wise to error on the side of food safety? Never mind a cook log, thermometer calibration log, cooling log, date label that professionals use to ensure items are safe.

Same applies at home. What am I missing? Did you mean I should have listed the exact food safe temps? I am dumb.