PDA

View Full Version : Old "K"

Bill-Chicago
03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
With all the great reading in the Kingsford event in NYC lately, something happened to me today which is kind of a coinkydink.

Back when Kingsford was switching to the new "Sure Fire" groove formula briquette, a bunch of us ran out and purchased a few extra bags of Old K.

I only nabbed 10, but that was like 2 winters ago.

Today, I opened my final bag of Old K.

So I was wondering for those that stocked up, how is your supply holding out?

I recall one brother or 3 scoring a full pallet, like 800 pounds or some crazy thing.

What is your Old K supply?

The_Kapn
03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Chi Bill,

It is a real " coinkydink" ya brought that up.

I snagged a bunch of Old K at Lowe's last year.
Hoarded it ever since because it was so "predictible".
Only "special" cooks! :lol:

Today, I loaded the last 50# onto the trailer for delivery next Friday to Big John (JohnMc348 and Chad) to fuss over :lol: :lol:

TIM

Westexbbq
03-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Officially ran out on 5/28/2006.
Liked it before the monogram.
Still use it though, facing left.

swamprb
03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I just hope Kingsford boosts production or retailers realize it's not a seasonal item.

Kevin
03-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I tried to order a pallet last January (2006). The dealer's catalog did not list 20 pound bags, just 18 pound which meant "sure fire grooves". Been out since last spring. Kind of reminds me of when Olympia bought Old Milwaukee from Schlitz. We had the tumwater blues over that one for sure.

Ron_L
03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I have 2 1/2 bags left out of 16 bags. I've been trying different brands of lump and even Royal Oak briquettes on and off inbetween rationing the old K.

Sledneck
03-11-2007, 08:53 PM
yall crazy i have both they make the same food at the end move on change is good, i dont recall any of you still watching black and white tvs get over it

qman
03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I am half-way through my last bag of original K. The end of an era. We will move on, we will adapt, but is is not necessary to do so withour remorse, and longing for things past. I for one will forever miss the original K.

The_Kapn
03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
yall crazy i have both they make the same food at the end move on change is good, i dont recall any of you still watching black and white tvs get over it

Sorry Steve, but if folks want to hang onto a "proven and predictable" product, in their eyes--that is their business.

Traditions die hard, and sometimes it is good that it takes time!
That means the basic tradition or product was consistant and sound!

I think the origonal Kingsford is a legendary product--not perfect- well suited to the mission of providing consistant and predictable heat to the BBQ world!

And yes--some of us really do watch Black and White shows (if not the B and W TV) on TVLand and other classic networks!!!!!!
True quality is ageless! :lol:

TIM
(A new FEC100 owner with all his wood and charcoal cookers and all those support toys loaded on a trailer for delivery next week.)

FatDad
03-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I have 3 1/2 bags left from 400 lbs last year when I bought the
last that Wally Mart had.
I was thinking last night when I was sitting on the patio cooking
or should I say watching ..... I should be trying something else.

That Chit (original "K" ) will spoil ya !!

motley que
03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
3 bags left out of 18

Bill-Chicago
03-11-2007, 10:15 PM
FatDad, you were one I was thinking of, I recall 400# in your signature.

Great thread.

And Sled, I agree with you quite a bit, but I also watch I Love Lucy and Honeymooners marathons while drinking some of my 400 cases of New Coke, so citing B&W TV is kind of outta whack (JMO)

Your post is so obvious that you place the fire grooves to the right that it makes us Old K admirers laugh when you get caught with a chimney of left facing K.

You'll torch them steaks into shoe leather brother

FatDad
03-11-2007, 10:23 PM
FatDad, you were one I was thinking of, I recall 400# in your signature.

Great thread.

And Sled, I agree with you quite a bit, but I also watch I Love Lucy and Honeymooners marathons while drinking some of my 400 cases of New Coke, so citing B&W TV is kind of outta whack (JMO)

Your post is so obvious that you place the fire grooves to the right that it makes us Old K admirers laugh when you get caught with a chimney of left facing K.

You'll torch them steaks into shoe leather brother

Thanks Bill !

I can't believe you still have that B&W TV set that we watched
Mo, Larry, & Curly on !! WOW...wasn't that a fun time cooking then??
I will always remeber when the NEW "K" came out that we all should
make sure that the grooves face North/South and be facing up.

brdbbq
03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
when the NEW "K" came out that we all should make sure that the grooves face North/South and be facing up.

K-Side Up. You been dropping the boys off at the pool way to much :shock:

Neil
03-12-2007, 04:22 AM
I always thought you got the best and longest burn with the old kingsford when you had the K facing the sun.:biggrin: I ran out quite awhile ago. Never did the comparison myself so I just moved on to the new "cool groves".

DaChief
03-12-2007, 07:42 AM
I always thought you got the best and longest burn with the old kingsford when you had the K facing the sun.:biggrin: I ran out quite awhile ago. Never did the comparison myself so I just moved on to the new "cool groves".

I've been using Kingsford for years but only on my grill. When I switched from a propane smoker recently only the new Kingsford was available so I have no comparison experience. What was so much better about the older version.........and why did they change?

jt
03-12-2007, 08:11 AM
2 1/2 bags left. At the rate I'm going that will last me quite awhile :sad:

Neil
03-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I've been using Kingsford for years but only on my grill. When I switched from a propane smoker recently only the new Kingsford was available so I have no comparison experience. What was so much better about the older version.........and why did they change?

Most here among the Brethren swear the old K burned longer and hotter.

Sawdustguy
03-12-2007, 08:45 AM
If I recall correctly it was Smoker that scored the pallet.

Bill-Chicago
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
If I recall correctly it was Smoker that scored the pallet.

There's a guy that should be in the People I Miss thread.

Dropped off the face of the earth mod.

Bigdog
03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Kind of reminds me of when Olympia bought Old Milwaukee from Schlitz. We had the tumwater blues over that one for sure.
You mean that Old Mill tasted worse?:shock: How can that be?:twisted:

BOT: I have 120 lbs. of the good stuff. Not even tried any of the groovy crap yet. Been using a lot of the Best Choice mesquite lately. I predict that Kingsford will bring back the old stuff by next summer. (Coke Mod.)

RichardF
03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I have about 50#'s left from my original stash of about 600#'s.

brdbbq
03-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I predict that Kingsford will bring back the old stuff by next summer. (Coke Mod.)
I don't why ? Just to be disagreeeable.

Bigdog
03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't why ? Just to be disagreeeable.
To make more money.

Bill-Chicago
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
It would be funny if someone catches Phil flipping all the K's to face up on that New York show today.

jsimonson0
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I just hope Kingsford boosts production or retailers realize it's not a seasonal item.

Unfortunately, for the unwashed heathens out there (ie, those who think that grilling/smoking is a summer sport), it pretty much is a seasonal item. I love to smoke a turkey or ham for Festivus dinner. Provides protein for the "Feats of Strength" portion of the evening, y'know. And if they have too much turkey, the "Airing of Grievances" becomes "Airing of ....zzzzzzzzzzzz"