PDA

View Full Version : Article on a New Jersey BBQ-Brethren's Business

IamMadMan
08-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Great write up on Brethren - daninnewjersey down at the Margate Farmer's Market, Congratulations to you Brother.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/craig_laban/hot-smoked-salmon-from-margates-bbq-pit-20170712.html

They say that barbecue is a regional thing. So it’s not really all that surprising that the hottest new thing in Margate’s barbecue scene is kippered smoked salmon. Of course, Downbeach BBQ’s Dan Greenberg, a chiropractor by trade and pitmaster by passion, also makes some serious dry-rubbed pork spare ribs in the converted propane-tank smoker that has been an aromatic fixture at Margate’s Thursday morning farmers’ market that sets up in season behind Steve & Cookie’s By the Bay.

But the neighborhood’s large Jewish contingent began asking for a local smoked-salmon fix, and after considerable experimentation, Greenberg has delivered some outstanding fish. No wonder he has been selling out his weekly 25-pound batch by 10:15 a.m. Unlike the cold-smoked variety most often found in stores, which has a glossy, uncooked texture, this fish is hot-smoked or “kippered” in a simple overnight cure, then slow-cooked at a low temperature in the warm mists of Jersey oak smoke. The resulting fish has a flaky, cooked consistency, but it’s still incredibly moist and luscious, with a lightly sweet and vividly smoky profile that is ready for its beach-side schmear.

— Craig LaBan

wihint
08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
Now that is a nice article congratulations on knowing your customers and providing a great product!

Happy Hapgood
08-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Very Cool!

Smoking Piney
08-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Coming from Craig Leban - high praise indeed!

Great to see NJ folks here noted.

Well done, daninnewjersey! :whoo:

Stlsportster
08-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Well done Dan. I use a similar process for Salmon and my family begs me to make it. Next time I'm making 25lbs and selling it to them!!

pjtexas1
08-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Dan, absolutely awesome. That's dedication right there!

Stlsportster...that's how crack dealers work...first one is free. Get them hooked and then charge them. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Panupat
08-09-2017, 11:19 PM
Congratulations! Wish I can taste that. My smoked salmon attempt were never moist!

frognot
08-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Strong work Dan!

DrewZ
08-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Congrats Dan!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0a/5e/89/0a5e89b0f365c44d71b0c55a2caf2264.jpg

KevinJ
08-10-2017, 09:14 AM
"The resulting fish has a flaky, cooked consistency, but it’s still incredibly moist and luscious, with a lightly sweet and vividly smoky profile that is ready for its beach-side schmear."

Want :hungry:

daninnewjersey
08-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. Been super busy or I would have been on here a lot sooner. The farmer's market is going pretty well....ribs are selling well as is the salmon. The salmon is something I worked on all winter to get it where I wanted it to be.

The Craig Laban article was a big surprise. He bought some about a month ago and I had no idea. Got a phone call one evening and it was Craig. He did about a 20 minute interview. Nervous isn't nearly a strong enough word for how I felt during that call :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Anyway, I sell at the Margate Farmer's market every Thursday from
8:30 AM-noon. Last one is August 31 so if any of you would like to come by and say hi that would be awesome. Thanks again.....

Smoking Piney
08-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Well done, Dan. :thumb:

I read the Inquirer and cringe when Craig Leban skewers an eatery. He can make or break you.

daninnewjersey
08-11-2017, 08:20 AM
I read the Inquirer and cringe when Craig Leban skewers an eatery. He can make or break you.

Funny you mention that....at the end of the interview I asked him if he liked the fish. His reply..."read the article when it comes out". Felt like forever waiting for it....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Smokey Lonesome
08-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Wish I would have seen this yesterday. Eat there all the time, that and Sophia's. Live in Avalon and would have loved to stop by and say hi.

Next time!