PDA

View Full Version : New Grocery Chain comming to US Market - LIDL

IamMadMan
08-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Anyone have one of these near them yet? Some were slated to open this past June.

A German grocery chain that's a cross between Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter is coming to the US.

I shopped at these stores while in Germany, superb quality of items sold. I hope the US stores will mirror the same level of quality.

Lidl plans to eventually open as many as 600 stores in the US, according to a copy of a company presentation obtained by Business Insider. Lidl currently has 10,000 stores in 27 European countries.

The first 20 stores will start opening in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-lidl-locations-in-the-us-2017-5

stangman327
08-08-2017, 07:22 AM
What do they have to offer vs Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's, Lotte Plaza, H-mart and Wegmans.

These are the heavy hitters in my area but I'm not opposed to something new.

Czarbecue
08-08-2017, 07:33 AM
One is supposed to open a block from my house next year. I have yet to see them break ground.

IamMadMan
08-08-2017, 07:39 AM
stangman327, More of a Wegman's type feel to the store without the extreme pricing (like $10.00+ per pound brisket). The shelves and stacked cases are much like an ALDI store (which is also a German Company), but LIDL had more of a selection of items with a higher quality product base.

I understand that cheap isn't always better, but we don't have to be gouged for good foods.

From my experience there, they put the emphasis on freshness, value, and "green" packaging without the premium price. But who knows what might change once they cross the pond and deal with us American Consumers? (LOL)

EDIT:
Web says that Arlington, VA and Fredricksburg, VA are open.... no other comments about them. Just curious as to what their US based stores will be like.

Notorious Q.U.E.
08-08-2017, 07:57 AM
I wish them luck. American grocery is a rough business with paper thin margins. I'll be curious if they can build a better mousetrap

zippy12
08-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Yes Virginia Beach had them open in July. I did a run through and found it below average compared to Kroger and Harris Teeter.

Aldi and Lidl are not places for me to shop

newtwoq
08-08-2017, 08:54 AM
We just had one open 5 mins from me, hoping to check it out this weekend.

stangman327
08-08-2017, 10:32 AM
stangman327, More of a Wegman's type feel to the store without the extreme pricing (like $10.00+ per pound brisket). The shelves and stacked cases are much like an ALDI store (which is also a German Company), but LIDL had more of a selection of items with a higher quality product base.

I understand that cheap isn't always better, but we don't have to be gouged for good foods.

From my experience there, they put the emphasis on freshness, value, and "green" packaging without the premium price. But who knows what might change once they cross the pond and deal with us American Consumers? (LOL)

EDIT:
Web says that Arlington, VA and Fredricksburg, VA are open.... no other comments about them. Just curious as to what their US based stores will be like.

Well it will be interesting to see how they do and any store that has a good product with a fair price I'm all for it. Wegmans is a bit higher but I LOVE the one in Columbia, Maryland!

Smilerb
08-08-2017, 10:42 AM
We have lots here in the UK, its a no frills supermarket, no fancy shelving, lots of the goods are displayed on the pallets they arrive on, they are certainly cheaper than most other supermarkets and of course they sell lots of German meats etc. Some of the special offers they do are really good.

This might give you some idea of what they are like.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?id=84&week=1&ar=7&ds_lpt_start&ds_lpt_end&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwqXMBRCDARIsAD-AQ2gCd4gF-A9LoDtB_Zn7pM6j1ke_Zw_wFdeWp49WbGOvAFl_8LtaxG4aAi3 tEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLmcg5nvx9UCFQfIUQod8WwOgA

Gavin

Texian
08-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Lidl is in talks with our suburban city to open a store this year. Sounds like an interesting offering. They need a variance from the city to sell alcohol a few yards too close to a elemantary school campus. I hope we see this store open. Competition amoung groceries is a good thing.

We've had an Aldi's for a five years now. I went there once, never to return. Aldi's is 60% generic store brands and a fraction of the selection that even a 3rd rate U.S. grocery store carries, they did have some German foods that were interesting, but not enough to bring me back. Houston had a French Hypermart in the 90's that was a colosal failure.

Monte Cristo
08-08-2017, 11:05 AM
We also have an aldi in my town...I was slow to accept going in there but when I did, I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes they do have "generic" or their own brand of foods. 95% of what I've bought there has been as good or better than the name brand. Potato chips are thicker and taste better, the dorito knock offs have more seasoning....these are 2 of many examples.

I don't like their hamburger as it tends to cause bad flame ups on the grill. Whatever type of fat they're using I don't like.

The ribs are very good...chicken is good, and the prices are lowww, especially compared to Stop and Shop across the street.

Steve J
08-08-2017, 11:15 AM
I have one near me and just visited this past Sunday. I think their selection is awesome. To me, it was sort of a mix between Trader Joes and Aldi, with the prices more comparable to Aldi (thankfully).

Right on Q
08-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Looking forward to Lidl coming. We shop at Aldi and love it.

Takes some getting used to the limited selections but their house brands are just as good or better than brand name. Plus i like how cheap it is :-D I've done ribs and butts and they are just as good as anywhere else.

10miler
08-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Looking forward to Lidl coming. We shop at Aldi and love it.

I love Aldi as well. $3.99 for EV olive oil? $1.19 for whole pineapple, or .59 for package of mushrooms? Yes please!

aawa
08-08-2017, 03:03 PM
I have one 5 minutes from my house. They opened up about a month or month and a half ago. They are similar to Aldi's and Trader Joes. They focus on more house brand stuff than name brand so that the cost is lower.

They have some good cheeses and pre-cooked sausages and all their produce is well priced (less than or about equal too walmart prices). Eggs, milk, and bread are cheap there (eggs $.45/dozen, 2% milk $2.14/gallon) The meat section is small. You will find some well priced choice ribeyes and other smaller cuts of beef. Chicken pricing is decent. Don't expect to find anything at a great price for BBQ.

Rockinar
08-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Another Aldi AKA "German Trader Joes".

ml8163
08-08-2017, 04:23 PM
They just opened one here in Wake Forest, NC. I haven't been yet, but my wife has and she compared it to an upscale Aldi. She said she like what she saw. Selection was good and prices pretty good also.

Right on Q
08-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Another Aldi AKA "German Trader Joes".

Aldi owns Trader Joe's

CeramicChef
08-08-2017, 05:11 PM
I live in central Oklahoma. This is the land of Wally World. Anything that increases competition is a very good thing to my mind.

I shop fairly regularly at Aldi's. Their "generic" products compete quite well with the name brand. For what Aldi is designed to be and the market segment they market to, they are remarkably successful.

IamMadMan
08-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Well it will be interesting to see how they do and any store that has a good product with a fair price I'm all for it. Wegmans is a bit higher but I LOVE the one in Columbia, Maryland!

Wegman's is my favorite local store, but some things can be very pricey...

We have lots here in the UK, its a no frills supermarket, no fancy shelving, lots of the goods are displayed on the pallets they arrive on, they are certainly cheaper than most other supermarkets and of course they sell lots of German meats etc. Some of the special offers they do are really good.

You nailed it, I spent a month in Germany shopping at LIDL and Kaufland were my two favorite stores with a lot of quality selections. I really liked their fresh produce, the butcher section, and the in house bakery. Globus was like their version of a Walmart with food and home furnishings, but the quality of the food was considerably down compared to LIDL and Kaufland.

Aldi owns Trader Joe's

True, they are two sister companies with completely different product lines. Aldi and Trader Joe’s are separate corporations which are both owned by Germany’s Albrecht family.

Also Belgian-owned Delhaize America (Food Lion) sold its Bottom Dollar stores to German-based Aldi in 2014, Food Lion's parent company will no longer operate stores in the deep-discount segment of the grocery market. Aldi converted our 66 regional Bottom Dollar stores to the ALDI label.

Looking forward to the LIDL store if it comes to this area.

PatAttack
08-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Just like the idiots in charge of Restaurant Depot, they're not building one in the second fastest growing part of my state.:tsk: (Charleston area)

IamMadMan
05-14-2018, 08:45 AM
Just a follow-up......

They built and opened a LIDL about an hour and a half drive from us. We made the drive just to see what they offer. I really liked the stores when we were in Germany, but I understand that they can't carry the same items due to logistics of supply.

Great Bakery, Great Produce, and Great Cheeses. The meats are ok, but mostly grass fed and free range, so of course they will command a higher price. In the same sense I realize that they pride themselves with selling organic foods at a more reasonable price than some other organic stores.

I really liked the selection of European charcuterie items I cannot normally find at other stores....

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83858954140/small/1526301534/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83858953924/small/1526301516/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83858954087/Small/1526301529/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83858954027/small/1526301525/enhance