PDA

View Full Version : First ribs on the PBC

Kikaida
08-05-2017, 09:57 PM
One took a header into the coals, sort of more balanced on the handle and the rim of the basket so no biggy. The other stayed hung...Double hookin next time. Major difference from the WSM is you get a true bark and deeper smoke flavor...and easier cleanup too. The WSM is officially benched...for now.

Kanco Connection
08-05-2017, 10:05 PM
I agree PBC ribs can be phenomenal! And they only get better with a couple practice runs. Now get ready for the WSM army to weigh in . . .

bigpernz
08-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Nice lookin bones

locosmoke
08-05-2017, 10:16 PM
those look great ribs are on my to do list

Czarbecue
08-06-2017, 05:42 AM
I guess I'll be the first to fire... I'm assuming you use the water pan with your WSM if the meats from the PBC is drastically different. Otherwise it's a midget version of the WSM.

bucko
08-06-2017, 05:52 AM
Nice looking ribs but I love my wsm thought about getting a pbc my Weber kettle is 18 years old and still in good shape might just get a new Weber premium kettle I bet the pbc is fun to cook on though

SeaSalted
08-06-2017, 07:30 AM
One took a header into the coals, sort of more balanced on the handle and the rim of the basket so no biggy. The other stayed hung...Double hookin next time. Major difference from the WSM is you get a true bark and deeper smoke flavor...and easier cleanup too. The WSM is officially benched...for now.

I generally hook my ribs three bones down to prevent them from falling. Double hooking wont' help if you are still hooking at the 1st or 2nd bone.

Kanco Connection
08-06-2017, 07:49 AM
I agree with SeaSalted: 3 bones down and I haven't had one fall yet.

ulc
08-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I generally hook my ribs three bones down to prevent them from falling. Double hooking wont' help if you are still hooking at the 1st or 2nd bone.

Why wouldn't double hook help? I double hook just to be safe and it saved my last batch of ribs from falling. I don't have PBC but I use PBC hooks on my WSM with Weber expandable smoking rack.

I don't really see the point of buying PBC if you already have WSM. If you use Weber expandable smoking rack or Gateway hanging rack accessory with WSM, it basically becomes PBC with the added flexibility of temp control.

jsperk
08-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Nice bones.

jeremu
08-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Oh wow those look delicious!!!
My first PBC did the same thing. One in the coals and one in the just absolutely amazing! HAHA
You're going to love your PBC

Haole Pete
08-06-2017, 10:54 AM
I posted this in the 'PBC Appreciation' thread a bit ago, so an apology for the repost:

It's a "meat safety net" mod to the firebox -- welding on (poorly :icon_blush:) a couple of additional brackets level with the existing handle.

Allows me to rest the grill on there while hanging meat. Like an airbag, I haven't needed it yet, but good to have it....

Kikaida
08-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Why wouldn't double hook help? I double hook just to be safe and it saved my last batch of ribs from falling. I don't have PBC but I use PBC hooks on my WSM with Weber expandable smoking rack.

I don't really see the point of buying PBC if you already have WSM. If you use Weber expandable smoking rack or Gateway hanging rack accessory with WSM, it basically becomes PBC with the added flexibility of temp control.

Thanks for the kind replies all.

My 22 WSM is a beast compared to this, this is way easier to clean up, way easier to setup and uses less fuel. My Weber was designed for slow-n-low which will beat the snot out of the PBC in that regard. But for hot and fast, this is what the PBC was designed for and blows the Weber away in that category with zero baby sitting. If I just want to do a couple chickens or ribs, the PBC is the way to go...If I'm going to do briskets, butts or a turkey, the WSM will be called to task. One can be tweaked to act like the other but you wont have the same cooking experience...results might be close but effort will be very different.

Mahalo Haole Pete, I was thinking hardware cloth but not sure what its coated with. I think the double hook should do the trick, I did buy the extra 8 hooks so I have plenty.

ulc
08-06-2017, 12:09 PM
My 22 WSM is a beast compared to this, this is way easier to clean up, way easier to setup and uses less fuel. My Weber was designed for slow-n-low which will beat the snot out of the PBC in that regard. But for hot and fast, this is what the PBC was designed for and blows the Weber away in that category with zero baby sitting. If I just want to do a couple chickens or ribs, the PBC is the way to go...If I'm going to do briskets, butts or a turkey, the WSM will be called to task. One can be tweaked to act like the other but you wont have the same cooking experience...results might be close but effort will be very different.

I have not cooked with PBC so maybe it's really different but I don't see how. If you use the hanging rack with WSM, the cleanup should be the same as PBC. Just couple of hooks to clean just like PBC. The setup should also be the same. I light about 30 coals in the chimney and dump into WSM and wait about 15 minutes before hanging the meat. With the bottom vents at about 25% open, WSM will sit at 275-300 F the entire cook just like PBC. There's no baby sitting. And then at the end of the cook, you can close all vents and kill the fire and reuse the charcoal for the next cook. So in theory, WSM should use less fuel than PBC. And WSM gives you the option of placing the cooking grate directly on top of the firebox and placing the empty water pan to catch the drippings from the hanging meats if you don't want the strong taste of the charcoal grease vapors. Or do without just like PBC and UDS if you prefer that taste. It's the exact same concept except WSM just gives you more control and options. You can cook low or slow or hot and fast. I pretty much only cook hot and fast with WSM, and I use the hanging hooks for all my chicken and rib cooks.

But like I said, I haven't used PBC so maybe I'm missing something thinking WSM with the hanging rack is pretty much the same as PBC or UDS.

Czarbecue
08-06-2017, 12:28 PM
I have not cooked with PBC so maybe it's really different but I don't see how. If you use the hanging rack with WSM, the cleanup should be the same as PBC. Just couple of hooks to clean just like PBC. The setup should also be the same. I light about 30 coals in the chimney and dump into WSM and wait about 15 minutes before hanging the meat. With the bottom vents at about 25% open, WSM will sit at 275-300 F the entire cook just like PBC. There's no baby sitting. And then at the end of the cook, you can close all vents and kill the fire and reuse the charcoal for the next cook. So in theory, WSM should use less fuel than PBC. And WSM gives you the option of placing the cooking grate directly on top of the firebox and placing the empty water pan to catch the drippings from the hanging meats if you don't want the strong taste of the charcoal grease vapors. Or do without just like PBC and UDS if you prefer that taste. It's the exact same concept except WSM just gives you more control and options. You can cook low or slow or hot and fast. I pretty much only cook hot and fast with WSM, and I use the hanging hooks for all my chicken and rib cooks.

But like I said, I haven't used PBC so maybe I'm missing something thinking WSM with the hanging rack is pretty much the same as PBC or UDS.

The PBC is a 30 gallon drum. I can see where the clean up is easier. It's also not separated into 3 parts so logistically you have less things to clean up. But I still love my WSM.

Battled a stick burner for 5 hours this morning and I'm exhausted. Like the good kind, after sex. But I still want a nap. And a cigarette.

Stlsportster
08-06-2017, 12:39 PM
The PBC is a 30 gallon drum. I can see where the clean up is easier. It's also not separated into 3 parts so logistically you have less things to clean up. But I still love my WSM.

Battled a stick burner for 5 hours this morning and I'm exhausted. Like the good kind, after sex. But I still want a nap. And a cigarette.

So it was still a happy ending?:clap2:

Kikaida
08-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, the WSM has its place in my arsenal. Just reheated some of those ribs for lunch....next level stuff.

chashint
08-06-2017, 03:26 PM
I am a 22" WSM guy and have no problems with someone else liking the PBC better.
Cooking BBQ should be fun and there's always more than one right way to do it.