PDA

View Full Version : What kind of gasser to get the wife--suggestions?

Kanco Connection
08-03-2017, 12:22 PM
My wife actually knows her way around a gas grill pretty well. The old Weber Genesis is giving up the ghost so I'm going to get her a new gasser of some kind. She doesn't need anything fancy or expensive. My inclination is to just get her a Weber Spirit when they go on sale in a couple weeks.

Do you guys think Spirit is the way to go for combo of good performance gas and not too expensive? Anything else to consider?

...and don't say I need to build her a UDS . . .

rwalters
08-03-2017, 12:28 PM
If in your shoes, and looking for an affordable gasser...I'd absolutely do what you are thinking of doing. Go WEBER!!

EricD
08-03-2017, 12:41 PM
My rule of thumb, if it needs replacing, always always always replace with a bigger better model!! Go for the Genesis 640! (of course money is no object in my dreams!)

SmittyJonz
08-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Some on here are are Happy with BroilKing Baron. I'll Probally get one eventually......

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King-Baron-440-Black-4-Burner-40000-BTU-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner/50078139?cm_mmc=search_google-_-FY15%20Seasonal%20Living-_-Dsa%20Seasonal%20Living%20-%20Grills-_-&k_clickID=2ac155d0-0b04-4ee4-87e1-854517c3852a&gclid=CjwKEAjwk4vMBRCg6PDR27eK72sSJADh-0uz4gjIP9HsVfj297llF5hoybomL95lmdcYzEqLI2BdkxoCWmX w_wcB

ChrisBarb
08-03-2017, 12:51 PM
I would pass on current generation Weber gassers. Both the Spirit line and Genesis line are made in China and the quality is noticeably inferior. I would say get Broil King Baron for a quality mid-priced gasser that is still domestically made (Indiana, although Canadian owned company) and is comparably featured to Weber.

Jrogers84
08-03-2017, 12:56 PM
I wold 100% tell you to grab an older USA made unit on CL and replace the guts. Theyre cheap and easy to replace. Cant beat the quality and functionality of the USA made units

cheez59
08-03-2017, 01:05 PM
I've got 2-1/2 years of heavy use on my Broil King Baron and it is going strong. I will put it up against any grill in it's price range and 90% of the grills costing twice what the BK did including a Weber.

Jrogers84
08-03-2017, 01:06 PM
I've got 2-1/2 years of heavy use on my Broil King Baron and it is going strong. I will put it up against any grill in it's price range and 90% of the grills costing twice what the BK did including a Weber.

Ive heard good things. Theyre USA made too IIRC?

cheez59
08-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I believe that is correct. I don't buy anything without extensive research. Comparing feature for feature I bought the Broil King. It was sitting right next to a Weber E330 at Lowe's and I could not for the life of me see the huge difference in price. I haven't needed any yet but parts are readily available for it as well.

ChrisBarb
08-03-2017, 01:39 PM
They have plants in Indiana and Ottawa.

Kanco Connection
08-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Broil King is interesting. Amazon is filled with complaints about poor craftsmanship and quality control on Broil King. Makes me wonder. Amazingribs.com loves the Signet, for what that's worth.

Macky
08-03-2017, 02:55 PM
What kind of gasser to get the wife--suggestions?

A friend of mine who is having a hard time with his wife would probably vote for a "ZYKLON Gasser" for his wife! :whistle:

cheez59
08-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Broil King is interesting. Amazon is filled with complaints about poor craftsmanship and quality control on Broil King. Makes me wonder. Amazingribs.com loves the Signet, for what that's worth.
Are those complaints about the Baron gas grills? Broil King does make some sub standard equipment but when I was researching I saw nothing but 4-1/2 star reviews on the Barons.

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
08-03-2017, 03:05 PM
If it was me....Id search craigslist for a used weber genesis. Over a weekend, take it apart and buy which ever replacement parts you need....maybe upgrade to the stainless grill greats....get rid of the fake plastic shelf and handle, replace with some nice wood...you will save money and have a nice gas grill. That is what I did. Few rattle cans of paint, some elbow grease, replace the sparky, etc....easy, fun, affordable, and a pretty darn good gas grill.

PnkPanther
08-03-2017, 03:06 PM
My friend has the Baron, he really likes it

I once in a blue moon contemplate adding a gasser, and that one is up there

ChrisBarb
08-03-2017, 03:17 PM
I have had mine 3.5 years. No issues. Outstanding quality.

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/index.php?/topic/10216-broil-king-regal-490-pro/&do=findComment&comment=93648

Just checked Amazon, average review is 4.0 stars out of five. Not sure what you were looking at. I did see one older model that is not made anymore that got a one star review that was complaining about a light bulb that was out and BK offered to send out replacements but not a technician. LOL!

Kanco Connection
08-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Are those complaints about the Baron gas grills? Broil King does make some sub standard equipment but when I was researching I saw nothing but 4-1/2 star reviews on the Barons.

Yep, both the Baron and the Signet. I value insight from a BBQ Bro more than from anonymous Amazon users, so it's definitely in the running even with those supposed issues. Thanks.

Kanco Connection
08-03-2017, 03:23 PM
I ahve had mine 3.5 years. No issues. Outstanding quality.

Just checked Amazon, average review is 4.0 stars out of five. Not sure what you were looking at. I did see one older model that is not made anymore that got a one star review that was complaining about a light bulb that was out and BK offered to send out replacements but not a technician. LOL!

Well that's just crappy customer service! No tech to replace a light bulb! I'm outraged.

ChrisBarb
08-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Well that's just crappy customer service! No tech to replace a light bulb! I'm outraged.
Pretty much why I don't trust Amazon reviews. Too many noobs and people with unreasonable expectations.

Demosthenes9
08-03-2017, 04:12 PM
My wife actually knows her way around a gas grill pretty well. The old Weber Genesis is giving up the ghost so I'm going to get her a new gasser of some kind. She doesn't need anything fancy or expensive. My inclination is to just get her a Weber Spirit when they go on sale in a couple weeks.

Do you guys think Spirit is the way to go for combo of good performance gas and not too expensive? Anything else to consider?

...and don't say I need to build her a UDS . . .What model is the Genny and what about it is giving up the ghost?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mchar69
08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm all for refurbishing the old Weber.

would probably vote for a "ZYKLON Gasser" for his wife!
THAT is wrong on so many levels.... (but funny!)

Kanco Connection
08-03-2017, 05:08 PM
What model is the Genny and what about it is giving up the ghost?

Not sure of the model number (not at home right now), but 10 year-old.
Giving up the ghost = burners are Bic lighters, grates need to be replaced, body is dinged up, ignition is toast

I'm sure there are plenty of brethren that would be happy to spend the time, money, and effort to make it functional again. I'm not one of those guys.

Demosthenes9
08-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Not sure of the model number (not at home right now), but 10 year-old.
Giving up the ghost = burners are Bic lighters, grates need to be replaced, body is dinged up, ignition is toast

I'm sure there are plenty of brethren that would be happy to spend the time, money, and effort to make it functional again. I'm not one of those guys.

Gotcha.

ncmoose
08-03-2017, 06:04 PM
I don't know about gassers but I gave my wife a Dutch oven and she did not appreciate it.

Okie Sawbones
08-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Go to Amazon and read the negative reviews. You'll learn more. A good part of the time it is just someone whining about a dent or a scratch, but you'll pick up on some valuable stuff as well, such as rusting out after a year, grill won't hold temp in a mild breeze, the grill has flimsy material, the burners don't last, etc. Then you can make up your mind based on what some negative factors are -- none are perfect. Listen to the folks on this forum who have various grills and are happy with them.

LloydQ
08-03-2017, 06:31 PM
I have a Huntington Grille, which I believe is make by Onward, the makers of Broil King. It was only $249 for a 3 burner and a side burner. It has held up well with one exception. I noticed the lid sitting funny one day, and noticed the cast aluminum had a rip in it near the hinge. Customer Service was terrific, the part was under warranty, and all I had to pay was shipping. The CS rep said that I could add accessories for the flat shipping rate, so I upgraded to stainless flavorizer bars and grates. Just my two cents worth. I know the Broil King would be a step up from the Huntington.

Whitewookie
08-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Well, I've heard some negative stuff about the Weber Spirit line, but I've got the little two burner and it's been great.

Granted, I don't use it for anything serious, (For serious BBQ I use the performer copper top) but for quick dogs and burgers, or sides, veggies, etc. Even turns out pretty good steaks if I'm in a hurry.

Quality seems good to me. Pretty easy to clean and maintain and cooks pretty good for what it is... JMHO.

V.R.
Harold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SmittyJonz
08-03-2017, 08:29 PM
I have a Huntington Grille, which I believe is make by Onward, the makers of Broil King. It was only $249 for a 3 burner and a side burner. It has held up well with one exception. I noticed the lid sitting funny one day, and noticed the cast aluminum had a rip in it near the hinge. Customer Service was terrific, the part was under warranty, and all I had to pay was shipping. The CS rep said that I could add accessories for the flat shipping rate, so I upgraded to stainless flavorizer bars and grates. Just my two cents worth. I know the Broil King would be a step up from the Huntington.

4 Burner for $399........

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Huntington-Patriot-4400-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-with-Side-Burner-682164/206087912

jermoQ
08-03-2017, 08:37 PM
A gasser is a gasser is a gasser IMnotalwaysHO unless you are in the $$$$ range and get one that burns sticks. Just dont spend $99. Get a good one

LYU370
08-03-2017, 08:53 PM
For maximum output, I've found red kidney beans to be the best gassers. Not the most flavorful though. I hope your couch is comfy.

CeramicChef
08-03-2017, 08:55 PM
I think just about any kind of low end Weber should do the trick if you are going to be the primary cook.

Demosthenes9
08-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Not sure if it will suit your needs, but some Walmarts have the Weber Spirit e210 clearances for $200. Looks like some are available at that price near you.

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=21928093

Kanco Connection
08-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Sounds like some good options. I know Webers often (always?) go on sale around Labor Day. I wonder about Broil King--anybody know about that?

Happy Hapgood
08-03-2017, 11:33 PM
Weber for sure.

Heck Yeah a Weber Spirit! Been using my Spirit for 7 years and just recently rplaced burners, flavorizing bars and grill grates after some serious usage.

http://i65.tinypic.com/1ze817n.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/icqkyh.jpg

Big N Hot
08-04-2017, 02:25 AM
Weber for sure.

Heck Yeah a Weber Spirit! Been using my Spirit for 7 years and just recently rplaced burners, flavorizing bars and grill grates after some serious usage.

http://i65.tinypic.com/1ze817n.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/icqkyh.jpg

I have the same unit!! Need to get it back in shape but after 8 years it is still running pretty good.

BP187
08-04-2017, 09:21 AM
I've had my 3 burner all ss saber for 7 years now with plenty more to go and think its worth the money hands down. its leaps and bounds better than the previous gassers I have owned. No flare ups ever!! at least take a look

EdF
08-04-2017, 12:47 PM
The Sabers are awesome, as are Napoleons. I didn't recommend either because I figured the OP didn't want to spend that much. The cool thing about the Saber is that it's all infrared - cheap to run and gets really, really hot, really fast. Supposedly well-built, which is the argument for the Napoleons too.

Kanco Connection
08-04-2017, 11:15 PM
The Sabers are awesome, as are Napoleons. I didn't recommend either because I figured the OP didn't want to spend that much. The cool thing about the Saber is that it's all infrared - cheap to run and gets really, really hot, really fast. Supposedly well-built, which is the argument for the Napoleons too.

Yes, you're correct. Not going to drop that kind of coin on something my wife cooks pork chops and hamburgers on once a week. Weber Spirit and Broil King (Signet or Baron) are the leaders in the clubhouse with the Labor Day sales coming--hopefully.

Rusty Kettle
08-05-2017, 05:37 AM
How about a Weber Q? It's nice to have a portable option. I am a diehard charcoal guy but if you got to have gas then get something that is multipurpose. It's supposed to be a good unit.

Demosthenes9
08-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Yes, you're correct. Not going to drop that kind of coin on something my wife cooks pork chops and hamburgers on once a week. Weber Spirit and Broil King (Signet or Baron) are the leaders in the clubhouse with the Labor Day sales coming--hopefully.Check that link I posted to Brickseek. That's a clearance price, which is much lower than any Labor Day sale pricing that might come around