PDA

View Full Version : Bandera Gasket or other mods?

tbonedave
08-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Planning mods for my new Bandera and wondering which gasket to install or if I really need one. Smoking chamber door shuts good with just a tad of slack, and I don't want to have to fix or replace a gasket any time soon. Other mods I'm planning are FB firebricked bottom and a heat shield welded in FB top. I also plan on moving the FB shelf brackets to the smoking chamber to keep the grates from tipping over when pulling out. Any recommendations?
Thanks.

SmittyJonz
08-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Leaks don't hurt nothing and gaskets don't last. I would skip the firebrick also.
The mod to the lid or replacing the lid with a flat top lid is the best mod. Maybe a better baffle from firebox chamber . I ended up using a cake pan for a water pan on the floor of the cook chamber.

Nuco59
08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Looking forward to all the Happy Walmart shoppers who snatched all the Banderas (saving me from myself in the process- my wallet thanks you all).

I hope to see "my new Bandera" reviews cropping up. It'd be cool if if that cooker became the next hot thing - like the sous vide, the Blackstones (pizza and griddle) or the "flavor of the moment" smoker.

Hype and excitement is a real thing and contagious as all get out. I swear the ONLY reason I can park in my garage is my wallet is flat

Czarbecue
08-02-2017, 12:49 PM
My garage sale Bandera looks to be only a year old or less. The former owner bought it when he got the house and maintained it well enough except for losing a few grates, the accessories, and rusting out the firebox. I thought I won out but it looks like I will need to spend about another $100 fabricating grates and sanding/painting the firebox. Oh well...

And the firebox mod.... just throw a plate of steel up under the lip of the lid?

tbonedave
08-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Leaks don't hurt nothing and gaskets don't last. I would skip the firebrick also.
The mod to the lid or replacing the lid with a flat top lid is the best mod. Maybe a better baffle from firebox chamber . I ended up using a cake pan for a water pan on the floor of the cook chamber.

Man, I really appreciate the input. The baffle looks like it might be sufficient, but we'll see with the biscuit test.

You saying you put a larger pan in the bottom to catch more drippings?

I thought firebricks in the FB were supposed to really help even out temps between splits. No? Any issues?

Thanks for the help!

SmittyJonz
08-02-2017, 12:57 PM
I never saw any benefit with firebricks - just harder to clean. Criss crossed expanded metal firegrate to keep coals up but let ash to fall helped more.

Cake pan evened out temps better and didn't run out of water as fast.

SmittyJonz
08-02-2017, 12:58 PM
My garage sale Bandera looks to be only a year old or less. The former owner bought it when he got the house and maintained it well enough except for losing a few grates, the accessories, and rusting out the firebox. I thought I won out but it looks like I will need to spend about another $100 fabricating grates and sanding/painting the firebox. Oh well...

And the firebox mod.... just throw a plate of steel up under the lip of the lid?

Yup / unless you want to grill on firebox.

tbonedave
08-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Looking forward to all the Happy Walmart shoppers who snatched all the Banderas (saving me from myself in the process- my wallet thanks you all).

I hope to see "my new Bandera" reviews cropping up. It'd be cool if if that cooker became the next hot thing - like the sous vide, the Blackstones (pizza and griddle) or the "flavor of the moment" smoker.

Hype and excitement is a real thing and contagious as all get out. I swear the ONLY reason I can park in my garage is my wallet is flat

It was pretty tempting at only $184, but knowing the Brethren's history with the Bandera made it a no-brainer. I've already got a Highland but since I sold my wsm last week I figured I needed another vertical. Lol.

tbonedave
08-02-2017, 01:08 PM
...And the firebox mod.... just throw a plate of steel up under the lip of the lid?

I've seen that but figured it would be nice not to have to mess with it and just have one welded into the top.

BadkissonTT
08-02-2017, 05:29 PM
It was pretty tempting at only $184, but knowing the Brethren's history with the Bandera made it a no-brainer. I've already got a Highland but since I sold my wsm last week I figured I needed another vertical. Lol.

I had to buy it also....really a no brainer at $89+ttl...LOL

I told the wife, hell, for that price it's be nice patio art !

I'm not really all that impressed by it other than it looks good, but seems a bit small really for a good sized brisket or pork spare ribs.

I had to buy it....but really I'm about to build my own rig very similar and much much heavier materials.

SmittyJonz
08-02-2017, 05:42 PM
mine was a competitors model from 90's I had to patch up but same thing......

http://i.imgur.com/wvkq07vl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tiGWi8nl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zSDYOtWl.jpg

tbonedave
08-02-2017, 05:46 PM
I had to buy it also....really a no brainer at $89+ttl...LOL

I told the wife, hell, for that price it's be nice patio art !

I'm not really all that impressed by it other than it looks good, but seems a bit small really for a good sized brisket or pork spare ribs.

I had to buy it....but really I'm about to build my own rig very similar and much much heavier materials.

Put your's together yet? It would need four wheels if it was made too much heavier. Yes, I admitted that. Here's my man card. Lol.

I hear you can fit decent sized briskets on by going corner to corner, and slabs of ribs should fit ok since they'll sag some in between it's rib racks. Looking forward to seeing how it compares with my Highland.

SmittyJonz
08-02-2017, 06:22 PM
I bought a grate like this from Academy and cut it off width wise - this probally isn't the exact one......you can see in first pic above the bottom grate isn't rounded on the corners.......

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-21-in-chrome-grate#repChildCatid=27592

tbonedave
08-02-2017, 06:27 PM
I bought a grate like this from Academy and cut it off width wise - this probally isn't the exact one......you can see in first pic above the bottom grate isn't rounded on the corners.......

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-21-in-chrome-grate#repChildCatid=27592

Not following. Why did you need to double the bottom grate?

SmittyJonz
08-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Not following. Why did you need to double the bottom grate?

I didn't - just how it is in that pic - you can see an open spot at top one of those goes to......I had 4 positions but only 3 grates......

Czarbecue
08-02-2017, 07:49 PM
That's a good idea though.. find something that has 16" of depth and cut the width to fit. I was planning on fabricating some myself but for 10 additional racks (yes, I want to maximize all of the shelves) it was coming to an additional $150 in materials alone.