PDA

View Full Version : Brisket advice: no roll or select?

weskeag
07-21-2017, 09:48 AM
I'm having a tough time finding choice brisket. My local butcher shop has a no roll briskets in right now at 3.99/lb, and Walmart has select at 3.49.
What's my best option?

sudsandswine
07-21-2017, 09:56 AM
I would buy whichever looks better marbled

LYU370
07-21-2017, 10:16 AM
I've cooked WalMart select brisket before, comes out fine. In my local store, choice & select are the same price, depends on what they get in I guess.

Cook
07-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Go look at them...the Selects may be Choice...the NoRoll may be Prime, or it could be Select.

Right on Q
07-21-2017, 02:38 PM
You'll do best if you sort through the available briskets and pick the best marbled ones. I've sorted through stacks of choice briskets to get some I think were truly primes. I think the same could be done for select. The best marbled ones could really be low to mid grade choice

Demosthenes9
07-21-2017, 09:16 PM
You'll do best if you sort through the available briskets and pick the best marbled ones. I've sorted through stacks of choice briskets to get some I think were truly primes. I think the same could be done for select. The best marbled ones could really be low to mid grade choice

It can. Beef grades are "ranges" as opposed to exact scores, basically like an A is 90-100, a B is 80-89, etc.

A higher end choice cut is almost identical to a piece of lower end Prime. Same with Select and choice.

things like the age of the cattle, breed, and it's diet also come into play.

Serious Eats did an article that really gets into the nuts and bolts of it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/beef-shopping-prime-high-choice-steak.html

grantw
07-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Brisket grades that I find up here in my area of Canada suck, so when I crave a brisket I often take what I can get, take it from me though, you will never ever cook a low grade brisket to probe tender. I cook them till 203 at 250 and pull them and rest them. They end up good or should I say as good as it gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pharp
07-21-2017, 09:48 PM
I've cooked WalMart select brisket before, comes out fine. In my local store, choice & select are the same price, depends on what they get in I guess.

same here.

LloydQ
07-22-2017, 04:50 PM
What the heck is a no-roll brisket?

Ag76
07-22-2017, 04:54 PM

A term used to describe beef that has not been graded by the USDA. Beef carcasses graded by the USDA have a grading stamp rolled on the exterior fat of the carcass to identify the grade of the meat. Carcasses not graded have no USDA rolling stamp, hence the name “No-Roll”.

toymaster
07-22-2017, 05:00 PM

It's ungraded beef by the USDA. They pay extra to have their meat graded but not all do so. If you have high end beef, it pays to have it graded. Most non rolled beef is usually select. All beef is inspected for safety, but not for grading.

pjtexas1
07-22-2017, 05:49 PM
While I prefer to cook a prime I don't understand why some think a select or ungraded can't come out tender??? I've cooked hundreds of them and while they are not as juicy they are tender.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MaxBobcat
07-22-2017, 06:23 PM
go with wally world and just pick the most flexible brisket you can