PDA

View Full Version : Pellet grill

bucko
07-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Camp chef or pit boss

KevinJ
07-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Camp Chef Woodwind looks like a nice grill for the money. Looking at PG's now and want something I can cook direct on so the Camp Chef with the sear box would meet my needs but think I'm going to go with a made in the USA PG, they are a lot more expensive though.

airedale
07-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Camp chef or pit bossI am too lazy to do a feature comparison but here is what I like about my CC DLX:

1) Easy emptying of the burn pot without taking the grill apart.
2) Easy emptying of the pellet hopper.
3) "Humpback" design gives me a little more cook volume for bulky things like turkeys.
4) Excellent customer support in the rare cases where I have needed it.
5) Good attention to detail in the design; example: Riv-nuts and machine screws attach the right side shelf, not just sheet metal screws. Also: Shaft locks on pellet dump and burn pot dump so they can't be moved accidentally.

What I don't like:
1) Optional front shelf is a joke. Flimsy wire thing that just hangs on the grill rather than actually attaching. Traeger front shelf is far, far superior.

Mo-Dave
07-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Camp chef or pit boss

I have a camp Chef PRO, and am happy with is. It sold me because of a few thing it has that most don', like a pellet clean out that allows you to change out pellets like I am getting ready to do today so I can try the Lumber Jack pellets I just bought, It also has a clean out so you can dump the ash without tearing the guts out of the cooker to get to the pot I also have had good dealings with their service department. Have looked at pit boss but have not cooked on one, but I don't think it has any of the features I have mentioned. I know it is not a a youder but it is a good one to get your feet wet with at a much less cost. Mine also came with a very nice cover.
Dave

Mo-Dave
07-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Camp Chef Woodwind looks like a nice grill for the money. Looking at PG's now and want something I can cook direct on so the Camp Chef with the sear box would meet my needs but think I'm going to go with a made in the USA PG, they are a lot more expensive though.

I would also like to have the sear box, Amazon has them for 199.00, I may have to pick one up soon.
Dave

airedale
07-21-2017, 11:36 AM
I would also like to have the sear box, Amazon has them for 199.00, I may have to pick one up soon.
DaveI looked at those, but it is really a special-purpose tool.

My solution was to buy a nice used Weber Performer Deluxe for the same amount of $$, then spend a few bucks on a second charcoal grate and four carriage bolt "feet" to raise the charcoal baskets closer to the cooking grate. This gives me a hot spot to sear a couple of steaks without using a lot of charcoal. The propane starts the charcoal very nicely and it heats up almost as quickly as my gasser did. So, more floorspace, a few bucks extra, and much more flexibility. YMMV.

Mo-Dave
07-22-2017, 12:54 PM
I looked at those, but it is really a special-purpose tool.

My solution was to buy a nice used Weber Performer Deluxe for the same amount of $$, then spend a few bucks on a second charcoal grate and four carriage bolt "feet" to raise the charcoal baskets closer to the cooking grate. This gives me a hot spot to sear a couple of steaks without using a lot of charcoal. The propane starts the charcoal very nicely and it heats up almost as quickly as my gasser did. So, more floorspace, a few bucks extra, and much more flexibility. YMMV.

I have had 3 used weber gas grills that I rebuilt to like new, can"t say I was a big fan of them. I really do not need much space for grilling, but would like the option to do grilling because the pellet smoker as much as I like it , it really does not do a good job of grilling for me Also I just had a huge pile of old smokers and grill hauled off and not looking to rebuild the scrap heap any time soon, plus I have very little footprint space for another grill, and do not cook for a large crowed anymore.
Dave

airedale
07-22-2017, 01:59 PM
I have had 3 used weber gas grills that I rebuilt to like new, can"t say I was a big fan of them. I really do not need much space for grilling, but would like the option to do grilling because the pellet smoker as much as I like it , it really does not do a good job of grilling for me Also I just had a huge pile of old smokers and grill hauled off and not looking to rebuild the scrap heap any time soon, plus I have very little footprint space for another grill, and do not cook for a large crowed anymore.
Dave
Yeah. The Performer takes up a lot of space but with the propane for charcoal ignition it is nearly as fast to use as a gasser, can get much hotter, and can be used for much more than just searing. That was really my point. The sear boxes don't take up much space and are going to be the fastest. Life is a series of tradeoffs.

Piledriver
10-20-2017, 10:21 AM
New guy here, did 2 months of research to buy the best grill for my money. Bought a Woodwind no sear box. Meat probe didn't work. Called camp chef they sent one 2 days later. Everything works great. Looking for best mesquite pellets. Using camp chef pellets currently. How about Lumberjack?

FrugalQ
10-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Picked up the pb700 two weeks ago $250 clearance at the Wal. Grill option included and works well (especially w/GrillGrates). I’m shocked at the results off it so far. (Spatchcocked chicken, PT, pork steaks, ABTs)I know it’s not a forever cooker but the pellet bug has taken a big ol bite out of me and I may be infected! I’ve even found myself watching MAK videos. $$$

jasonjax
10-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Picked up the pb700 two weeks ago $250 clearance at the Wal. Grill option included and works well (especially w/GrillGrates). I’m shocked at the results off it so far. (Spatchcocked chicken, PT, pork steaks, ABTs)I know it’s not a forever cooker but the pellet bug has taken a big ol bite out of me and I may be infected! I’ve even found myself watching MAK videos. $$$

Yep - you're hooked!

zitterich246
10-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Nice:thumb: