PDA

View Full Version : Purple pork master sauce is there an alternative

Txbowhunter41
07-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Does anyone that has used this sauce when it was being made have a good alternative that taste similar. that was my favorite BBQ would buy it by the jug

SmokinJohn
07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
noooooooooooooooooo......and so it begins.......

Sorry, there was a thread about this back in 2015 or 2016. A lot of people wanted to try it, regulars, and newcomers alike.

Txbowhunter41
07-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Yes i know had to make a new account do to deleting my old email address have not been in here for a few years

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

LYU370
07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Yep, sounded like there was a bunch in internal fighting and it never happened, even though there was huge interest among the Brethren. There were a couple other products mentioned if I recall.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198186

smokinit
07-21-2017, 06:59 AM
To funny thought it was that thread was long dead. MMMMM who has the recipe,:becky::thumb:

PatAttack
07-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Yep, seems like a lot of infighting imploded the team.

Different team members came up with the ingredients, so no one member can make the sauce without the others getting their panties twisted. I would imagine it would get litigious.

Too bad. It was a fantastic sauce. A great alternative is Swamp Boys.

Big George's BBQ
07-21-2017, 08:46 AM
It was good

smokinit
07-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Can always cone to my place have it all the time.:becky::becky:

IamMadMan
07-21-2017, 11:28 AM
A lot of others feel the same way you do...

At one time Kevin had a standing order for 77 one gallon jugs that I tabulated for him. Unfortunately for all of us, someone chimed in (creator of the team) to takeover the sale Kevin took orders for. Shortly thereafter Kevin stepped away from the sales equation and everything fell apart. The person we trusted had left the sale, and it never materialized. We were all left very disappointed.

I've tried make it, but I couldn't replicate it. I have settled for a mixture of Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, and Stubb's Spicy (simply because they are easily accessible to me).

I do have one last bottle of Purple Pork Masters sauce left, it's probably not good any more, but I keep it as a memento of my friend Kevin and all of his help in purchasing my smoker. A man who stands behind his word, won't try to switch things, up-sell you, and always had a superb sauce for sale. I preferred the Competition Grade, it always left you wanting more.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83047151752/small/1499004456/enhance

Yes, I do have a couple, maybe a few, bottles of other sauces that are outdated, but I keep them on display simply because they are/were the best of the best.

A couple recommendations of something good to try;
1) Texas-Texas Sauce Good To The Bone BBQ & Grilling Sauce by Sanderson Foods

2) Phil's BBQ Sauce from San Diego, CA

3) Maull's Original While the sauce may have some sugar it is far from sweet. I would describe it as a well balanced, very tangy, savory, tomato based sauce, and very thin in nature. Mike Mills - “The BBQ Legend” wrote in his book, "Peace, Love, BBQ" that Maull’s is the perfect base sauce to start with as a base and add your own ingredients to make it your own "Secret Sauce"

MisterChrister
07-21-2017, 11:50 AM
This all makes me so sad... What about brotherly love and the greater good, and all that jazz?!?

tonyjohnson619
07-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear you like the Phil's bbq sauce

SmokinJohn
07-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Work it out, fellahs.

Look, If Van Halen and GNR can get back together, why can't the Purple Pork Masters? People are talking about your product and were waiting in digital line for it, and it's no longer for sale. Only Nintendo has that kind of clout. Are you kidding me? You're blowing a huge opportunity. Charge more for it. Make up a "Reserve/Special Edition" label. Make it happen.

SmokinJohn
07-21-2017, 03:57 PM
This all makes me so sad... What about brotherly love and the greater good, and all that jazz?!?

It's business. And sometime business is messy.

There is a restaurant called Puka Dog in Kauai and Oahu. The owners were a married couple. They divorced, and as I recall, The Kauai store is called Puka Dog, and the Oahu store is called Hula Dog. Same ingredients. Two names.

IamMadMan
07-21-2017, 04:33 PM
Glad to hear you like the Phil's bbq sauce

It is definitely in my top 5 sauces that I use on a regular basis. Thanks for sending it in the trade forum, it has great flavor.

tonyjohnson619
07-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Just a FYI you can order it from his website

IamMadMan
07-21-2017, 06:10 PM

I have reordered the sauce and I also gifted a bottle to a friend.

https://www.philsbbq.net/merchandise/phil-s-bbq-sauce-1269883066.html

tonyjohnson619
07-21-2017, 08:55 PM
I have reordered the sauce and I also gifted a bottle to a friend.

Awesome!!! He started with one here in san Diego and now he has 3 or 4 plus one in petco park and one in the airport

SmokinJohn
07-23-2017, 08:05 PM

What????????? Share

Hoss
07-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Seems that there is ALWAYS a turd in every punchbowl.:drama:

IamMadMan
02-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Well to answer your question on Purple Pork Masters BBQ Sauce Alternative.

I have to say there is an alternative on the horizon, I recently tasted a new sauce that I believe is going to be marketed by our friends at Yes Dear.

It's Sweet, it's Tangy, and it has a slight hint of heat that does not burn. I would say this is probably as close as anyone can get without the actual recipe.

In my book it's a winner and anyone looking for PPM, this is your ticket.

Looking forward to seeing the sauce in the marketplace and purchasing it.

Chad and his group have created a real winner, keep your eyes open, it has been worth the wait.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83736605662/medium/1519737844182/enhance

MisterChrister
02-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Thanks Bob, that's FANTASTIC news!!! Have you heard any tentative name or release date, so I can keep an eye out?

smokinit
02-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Mmmmm

cpw
02-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Well to answer your question on Purple Pork Masters BBQ Sauce Alternative.

I have to say there is an alternative on the horizon, I recently tasted a new sauce that I believe is going to be marketed by our friends at Yes Dear.

It's Sweet, it's Tangy, and it has a slight hint of heat that does not burn. I would say this is probably as close as anyone can get without the actual recipe.

In my book it's a winner and anyone looking for PPM, this is your ticket.

Looking forward to seeing the sauce in the marketplace and purchasing it.

Chad and his group have created a real winner, keep your eyes open, it has been worth the wait.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/010041863239/media/83736605662/medium/1519737844182/enhance

Thanks Bob! To be honest, I've never tried the PPM sauce, so I don't know how it compares, but I'm glad for the comparison based on how many people enjoyed that sauce.

As far as timing and all that goes on this release, I'm finalizing the recipe now (which I've been finalizing for about 6 months now :doh:), and then it's off to get priced for bottling. So hopefully within a couple of months. :becky:

smokinit
02-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Good luck I remember what it took to bring PPM to market. It can be fun and head scratching.

PatAttack
02-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks Bob! To be honest, I've never tried the PPM sauce, so I don't know how it compares, but I'm glad for the comparison based on how many people enjoyed that sauce.

As far as timing and all that goes on this release, I'm finalizing the recipe now (which I've been finalizing for about 6 months now :doh:), and then it's off to get priced for bottling. So hopefully within a couple of months. :becky:

Chad, let me know when y'all get it finalized. I remember tasting an earlier version of it at the Myrtle Beach Comp. & it was awesome! Keep me up to date on the progress, Brother!!

mchar69
02-27-2018, 06:21 PM
CPW - you keep at it, you have some willing customers.

And Bob, thanks for ALL you do, I'll be waiting....

LYU370
03-01-2018, 12:20 PM

Glad to hear. Your Red Sauce is one of my favorites, how does this new one compare flavor-wise? Can't wait to try this one.

IamMadMan
03-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Chad can answer for you but from a user of both the new sauce and Red Sauce;

I can tell you the New Sauce starts out sweet, followed by tangy, and as it rolls across the back of the mouth there is a mild heat but it isn't hot, just a tease. Bolder flavors than the red sauce has.

MisterChrister
03-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Hopefully, gallon sizes will be available; I'm STOKED!

cpw
03-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear. Your Red Sauce is one of my favorites, how does this new one compare flavor-wise? Can't wait to try this one.

Bob probably did a better description than I could do. It’s definitely a much more complex sauce than the red sauce. I tried to build a straight out of the bottle competition sauce, so it’s a little sweeter, a little thicker, and not as much vinegar as the red sauce. We’ve been using it in competition with no mixing on our pork and chicken for about 6 months with great results. We also use it as a finishing glaze on ribs, so it works well on most meats.

If we don’t do gallons, we’ll definitely do half gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamMadMan
07-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Well, you asked for an alternative and this is as close of an alternative that you'll ever find, it really close. It's Sweet, it's Tangy, and it has a slight hint of heat that does not burn. I would say this is probably as close as anyone can get without the actual recipe. In my book it's a winner and anyone looking for PPM, this is your ticket.

The guys at Yes Dear now have their competition sauce ready for sale. I can tell you the New Sauce starts out sweet, followed by tangy, and as it rolls across the back of the mouth there is a mild heat but it isn't hot, just a tease. Bolder flavors than the Yes Dear Red Sauce has.

https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/collections/bbqsauces/products/yes-dear-competition-sauce

It has no label yet and is currently called "Competition Sauce"

Looking forward to seeing it in gallons and half gallons.