PDA

View Full Version : Brisket 2: Electric Boogaloo

weskeag
07-16-2017, 03:38 PM
My fishing buddy wanted me to smoke a brisket for his daughter's college graduation party, so I took the opportunity to subject his family to my cooking.
I wet aged a 16lb choice packer for three weeks then rubbed with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. Smoked on my PBC over pecan, crutched at 160, cooked to 203, then rested in my RTIC cooler for two hours.
This one was a IBP, had a lot more fat than the Excel that I cooked previously. Has anyone noticed this, or was this a one off? I can't complain about the meat, it came out great, just hate throwing money away.

Before wrapping:
http://i.imgur.com/GEv5DP8h.jpg

After resting, ready to dig in:
http://i.imgur.com/A67jmK6h.jpg

The money shot:
http://i.imgur.com/S5qXttfh.jpg

Verdict: I think it came out pretty good, and the people at the party had no complaints. I may experiment with spritzing now that I have a rub I like. One variable at a time!

mikemci
07-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Nice cook. Glad everyone liked it. Congrats to the grad!

IamMadMan
07-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Awesome brisket Mike.....

pjtexas1
07-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Nice cook. :thumb: no matter what brand I always have too much fat to trim off. The ones with less fat hardly pass my marbling or thick flat standards.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike Broughton
07-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Looks good to me

Czarbecue
07-16-2017, 08:09 PM
How's the bark? The only thing I hate about wrapping with butcher paper is the grease running down my elbows. Maybe I am holding the meat too tightly.

weskeag
07-17-2017, 05:22 AM
How's the bark? The only thing I hate about wrapping with butcher paper is the grease running down my elbows. Maybe I am holding the meat too tightly.

I wrap in foil. I don't find it to be too greasy, maybe the vertical hang on the PBC lets a lot of it run out? Only my second brisket, so I'm still figuring things out.

LloydQ
07-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Really nice work, especially since it is only your 2nd try!

Happy Hapgood
07-17-2017, 07:49 PM
All I can say is BAM! Mighty Fine!

Notorious Q.U.E.
07-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Love the 80s reference! I also like its competitor film: Beat Street

pjtexas1
07-17-2017, 09:15 PM
The real question is did any of you guys ever dance?

RacrX
07-17-2017, 10:44 PM
+1 for the thread title :clap2:

Notorious Q.U.E.
07-17-2017, 11:09 PM
The real question is did any of you guys ever dance?

Hell yeah! With a reference to Biggie Smalls in my name, I love to whoop it up on the dance floor , no fear, I feel free out there.

pjtexas1
07-17-2017, 11:43 PM
Hell yeah! With a reference to Biggie Smalls in my name, I love to whoop it up on the dance floor , no fear, I feel free out there.Well I was in high school in the 80's and this was what we did for fun. We always had the rolled up lanoleum in the trunk ready to go. Lots of great memories. Now I'm more likely to bust something besides a move. :heh:

I do agree about the feeling out there with everyone watching trying to do things in ways that nobody else could. It was a bigger high for me than catching a touchdown or blowing buy someone with a basketball.

Kanco Connection
07-18-2017, 01:06 AM
Good cook!

Smokinhole
07-18-2017, 01:59 AM
Well I was in high school in the 80's and this was what we did for fun. We always had the rolled up lanoleum in the trunk ready to go. Lots of great memories. Now I'm more likely to bust something besides a move. :heh:

I do agree about the feeling out there with everyone watching trying to do things in ways that nobody else could. It was a bigger high for me than catching a touchdown or blowing buy someone with a basketball.

Maybe we should have a thread where every reply has to have an 80s reference in it. I know my girlfriend would love it. She lives in Canada, you wouldn't know her...

Notorious Q.U.E.
07-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Well I was in high school in the 80's and this was what we did for fun. We always had the rolled up lanoleum in the trunk ready to go. Lots of great memories. Now I'm more likely to bust something besides a move. :heh:

Nice! Props to the OP for bringing it back to the old school. BBQ and 80s lore have nostalgia in common. I figure for electric smokers out there, you could always reference 1.2 Gigawatts.

weskeag
07-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Maybe we should have a thread where every reply has to have an 80s reference in it. I know my girlfriend would love it. She lives in Canada, you wouldn't know her...

If my calculations are correct, when this brisket hits two hundred degrees, you’re going to see some serious sh*t.