PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal

bucko
07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Royal oak lump or cowboy lump which one do you like

upStomp
07-14-2017, 10:08 AM
I much prefer Royal Oak lump. Cowboy is too inconsistent size-wise, with lots of crumbs. Around me, Lowe's carries the Cowboy and Home Depot carries the Royal Oak.

With that said, I can't stand Royal Oak briquettes. Smells like an oil fire and burns like it can't make up its mind whether its lit or not.

pjtexas1
07-14-2017, 10:10 AM
RO lump for me too. burns clean and is easy to get,

Cook
07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Cowboy doesn't even enter the conversation as far as I'm concerned. Pops & cracks like a summditch...and every time I open a bag there's like a full-length 2x4 in there.

Royal Oak is the only way to fly if you're going the lump route.

Wesman61
07-14-2017, 10:13 AM
I need to give RO another shot. Haven't used it since my misguided "charcoal basket in an offset" days. No I use a Gateway drum and size variation is frustrating.

LMAJ
07-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Royal Oak - Cowboy is too sparky for me.

tom b
07-14-2017, 11:04 AM
RO for all the reasons stated above

charrederhead
07-14-2017, 11:20 AM
If cost is the same, RO. However, I've been using Cowboy for 4 years and have gone through multiple 100s of #s of it and have found only 2 foreign objects in all those bags.

I've been lucky enough to find it via two clearance sales and I'm still using 10.5# bags bought last Dec. for $2.50.

It IS sparky, but that's good for chimney fireworks in the dark. :-P

MezoDog
07-14-2017, 11:24 AM
One more for Royal Oak.

CeramicChef
07-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Neither one to be quite frank.

Royal Oak has incredibly poor quality control. I've pulled concrete out of my lump pile too many times. I've also found plastic in the bag; thanks be that I found it before lighting my fire. I'm not the only one who has reported this. It's all over the web. Fool me once ...

Cowboy is too inconsistent and has been noted, it pops big time. I've got the ruined shorts to show for it. Additionally, too many smalls and fines in every bag I've used.

I exclusively use FOGO.

wormy
07-14-2017, 11:43 AM
+1 for the FOGO as well. Smells great,nice size pieces and almost 0 smoke when starting.but between RO and Cowboy it would be RO all the way

Notorious Q.U.E.
07-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Here, here CeramicChef and wormy!

I've taken a liking to those premium brands. I've enjoyed Fogo and have also developed a liking for Jealous Devil , Quebracho, and Kebroak. The so-called "axe breaker" hard wood charcoal brands have given me clean heat, long burn times, and minimal ash.

I'll get RO as a backup but the premium Latin American brands are rock-solid from my standpoint!!

PnkPanther
07-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Neither one to be quite frank.

Royal Oak has incredibly poor quality control. I've pulled concrete out of my lump pile too many times. I've also found plastic in the bag; thanks be that I found it before lighting my fire. I'm not the only one who has reported this. It's all over the web. Fool me once ...

Cowboy is too inconsistent and has been noted, it pops big time. I've got the ruined shorts to show for it. Additionally, too many smalls and fines in every bag I've used.

I exclusively use FOGO.

Yes, I shared the photo of unusual green looking crap I found in RO

I recently bought a back of Rockwood lump, it's nice stuff, but I use too much charcoal to pay $27.00 for 20Lbs bag. But I do still use it.

I like Stubbs and plan on checking out Royal Oak Chef Select briquettes soon

Smoke on Badger Mountain
07-14-2017, 02:52 PM
I only burn wood, either hardwood lump for my kettles or full splits in the offset and for open fire cooks. And my preference is neither RO or Cowboy. Cowboy is just plain terrible in my opinion. RO is far better but not great. What I have found to be the best for my uses is Lazzari mesquite lump. A little sparky at first but it's mesquite, that's normal. There is never any "lumber" or other "random" wood in there just natural chunk of mesquite. That being said there are differing sizes in each bag due to the fact that the mesquite is not processed prior to being turned into charcoal. The different sizes work well for me because most of it fits nicely into a chimney and the stuff that is too large I can just throw into the stick burner.

I don't know if its's available in your area, but the folks on the phone there are great at helping you find a local source. I get mine at a restaurant supply store or from a food service distributor. I pay around $15.00 for a 40lb bag. With this stuff at these prices I find no reason to pay out for the "high end" stuff. And if you don't want or can't use the larger pieces just throw them on the ground and they will break.

http://www.lazzari.com/food-mesquite-lump-charcoal.html

http://i.imgur.com/7HAYJdYl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/iRPXtM9l.jpg

ssv3
07-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Lazzari ftw Josh! :thumb:

As far as RO or Cowboy I like them both. When I say both I mean the Cowboy Southern Style bags.

Good stuff!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZNJ1OS4eZIk/VODnkhnpMDI/AAAAAAAALYQ/Y5b2hDvZXuw/s1280/20150203_184445.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1cHnQSLMcvc/VRBPmdvdP8I/AAAAAAAALy4/eJCPPL4_2z4/w702-h395-no/20150320_184848.jpg

Actually local Costco started carrying the big bags. for IIRC $22 a 34lb bag. Great price considering I paid $16 for an 18lb bag at Lowes.

http://i.imgur.com/ciSm3Mfh.jpg

LYU370
07-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Been using RO without any issues. Tried a bag of the KJ big block from Lowe's, a few giant pieces and the rest was about the same as RO. Just picked up one of the big bags of Cowboy from Costco to try out. Opened the bag and it looks like fairly small pieces. We shall see. Also picked up a bag of Grove charcoal to try it as well.

DrewZ
07-14-2017, 03:39 PM
I've had good experiences with Charbroil Center Cut Lump (ignore the crazy name). Big, uniform pieces. Lights nicely and smells great. My local Lowe's now has it for $5.49/box -- almost 75% off the original $19.99 list.

Try checking on brickseek (http://brickseek.com/lowes-inventory-checker?sku=999979266)to see if any of your local Lowe's might have it at that price.

Joe Black
07-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Royal Oak all the way. I use 2/3 of a chimney of briqs to light a basket of lump to get the coal bed I want and to get my CC up to temp. Then, it's all splits from there.

Big problem: nobody stocks lump in this area anymore. They all have plenty of briqs, but no lump. I wish I could get an answer for that.

BillATL
07-14-2017, 04:04 PM
I quit using Cowboy several years ago. Very sparky, lots of crumbs and dust, I found too many lumber scraps and I just didn't like to way the smoke smelled. That said, I've heard they've improved but I still haven't tried a bag in a while.

I'm pretty neutral on the Royal Oak. The price is good and it's easy to find.

I much prefer Wicked Good or Rockford. The local Ace Hardware always has at least one and sometimes two of the more 'premium' brands of lump.

And, in case you didn't already know, nakedwhiz.com is the place to see lump reviews.

16Adams
07-14-2017, 04:27 PM
I've got three bags Cowboy Southern Style in the bullpen. I pretty much write off a coal if/when I find construction materials (boards twine insulation). I used Ozark Oak for years and it was amazing. Buck a pound and worth every penny. Then I started experimenting. A friend recommended the new Cowboy. The few bags of Cowboy Southern have been excellent with zero trash. Same with B&B.
Finishing up a bag of Rockwood. It's nice but not available locally. 2 bags cost me $56 to ACE HDWR
http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/

arclite
07-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Royal Oak, with an eye out for foreign objects.

A local mom & pop grocery store (a couple hundred yards away from the house) has RO lump year round.

longhair75
07-14-2017, 05:30 PM
my only bag of Cowboy Lump, purchased from Costco, was unsatisfactory. At least a third of the pieces are marble sized or smaller and either fall through the grate or burn up in just a few minutes.

I haven't tried RO, but I am sure it would be better than the Cowboy Lump