PDA

View Full Version : Pit Barrell cooker

bucko
07-13-2017, 06:21 PM
The pbc gets alot of great reviews and seems everybody on here loves them I never have heard anybody say bad things about them just would like to see if anybody has had bad experiences with them and wish they would have bought something else

Kanco Connection
07-13-2017, 06:36 PM
I guess you're looking for negative reviews. I did the same thing, but the only negatives I heard/read were from people who don't have one. I love mine.

16Adams
07-13-2017, 06:42 PM
I paid $239 free shipping. I'm about 5 years into owning the original version. My only complaint is I wish I'd bought two at this price. Mine stays outside in the elements 24-7/365 sometimes covered sometimes not. It's actually the cooker that gave me the confidence to use all my other coookers. Still in original condition as received. No adjustments to vents no thermometer no add on electronics- and that's what I love about it. Just heat and meat.

Should've bought 2 @239

Kanco Connection
07-13-2017, 06:49 PM
16Adams is on the money when he says it gives confidence. I'm feeling the same way and I've only had mine a few weeks.

AClarke44
07-13-2017, 06:49 PM
I guess you're looking for negative reviews. I did the same thing, but the only negatives I heard/read were from people who don't have one. I love mine.

You can look at Amazon for reviews but you'll still find it hard to come across too many complaints from those who own a PBC. Amazon has about 650 reviews with a 93% 5 star rating and zero 1 star ratings.
And like Kanco said, beware of the negative comments from those who've never owned or even cooked on one.
I don't know anyone who regrets their purchase. But most on here are never satisfied with just one cooker! :becky:

ssv3
07-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Most owners post in the PBC appreciation thread so you won't get too much info in QT. That thread is 450+ pages now and going strong with majority of the time on page 1 with NO BUMPING. That should tell you something. :grin:

Also the Amazon reviews like Andrew mentioned. Pretty impressive considering the raters are your average consumers not "consumed" by bbq like us.

Stlsportster
07-13-2017, 09:05 PM
I love my PBC but will give you some points as negative as you'll find on that cooker.

1. It's small if you need rack space. I can hang 8 racks of ribs but it will only fit 2 butts on the grate. If you need to do lots of stuff that need horizontal grate space like ABTs, moinks, fish, etc it's easy to run out of room.

2. The hanging grate (which give you the ability to hang on one bar and use grate on the other) and the ash pan should be included in the base cost. It's a shame they aren't and are almost a must have.

3. It doesn't have a second rack position or adjustable vents like a UDS would. It runs fine without them both but you have to be creative and use magnets or something to adjust the vents when needed...and engineer a solution for an additional rack if you need it.

4. Hard to run at less than 225. If you want to do jerky and run at 185 it's really hard to manipulate the fire and the cooker to be that low.

5. It doesn't make coffee, do laundry or mow the lawn. You can't use it to hammer in nails, paint a wall or make ice. It will however cook some excellent food.

Just some honest counter points so you understand some of the limitations.

Kanco Connection
07-13-2017, 10:09 PM
I'll add to Stlsportster's good insights: Although the PBC website encourages cooking steak on it, I'm pretty sure it can't get the great sear I'm looking for on a steak. I haven't tried it, so can't say for sure, but a quality sear is really important to me for steak. My kettle still gets the call for steak.

Bob C Cue
07-13-2017, 10:19 PM
The main criticism I've seen on this site is that it has horseshoe handles, and I'll admit it's very difficult to refute that argument. So before you buy one, you have to ask yourself if you are can live with that. Not everyone can.

PatioDaddio
07-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Generally speaking, here are some indications that you MAY not be a PBC candidate:

- You lay in bed at night wondering if you should use briqs or lump
- You cannot handle a cooker that doesn't have a thermometer
- The thought of cooking "hot-n-fast" (above 250, and up to 300*) is nigh unto blasphemous
- You can't resist the urge to constantly fiddle with/modify your cooker
- You can't enjoy "real BBQ" that didn't require X hours to "cook right"
- You feel that "real BBQ" can't come from a cooker that can be moved without a trailer hitch
- You value tending a fire over drinking beer, socializing, making love, or sleeping

Aside from that, you're gonna be a happy camper.

John

ssv3
07-13-2017, 10:37 PM
You've got to let your imagination run wild :wink:

Thin steaks no. Thick steaks or reverse sear? Absolutely!

A tomahawk, a tri tip etc. cooked to -10* of desired IT and either seared at the end or crack the lid open and let her rip

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jhoasTUljUE/UlydeeEYuRI/AAAAAAAACWE/eSB8CEdPJn8/s912/20131014_171023.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eETnxOqVmEU/UlydoIKqVZI/AAAAAAAACWM/-k15fF8Uv-M/s912/20131014_175414.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LBEU3M3E9_0/UlyeAK58S1I/AAAAAAAACWs/htIkHpvbOU4/s912/20131014_180720.jpg

or vice versa

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/IOB4MCcsHjt_kki7udJV7y-igzRs_Gtrwty3S6POeTk=w1744-h981-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YJbiWAqsANTkPfGuFrSKfxgm8NSd63q6pw5832qu34Y=w1744-h981-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4YoKKDIG3j8HXwvBJo3WZv6fyH0w-6egDxqmweOhfzk=w1744-h981-no

Many ways to sear with most of us having multiple cookers

http://i.imgur.com/8vojvyHh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jwm5e0bh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cAXLq4Mh.jpg

Bob C Cue
07-13-2017, 10:41 PM
I must have missed the part where the OP asked us to show off our culinary skills! :-P

ssv3
07-13-2017, 10:42 PM
I kindly disagree with Sportster on a couple points :thumb:

First, the PBC was designed to be a set it and forget it cooker so you don't have to worry about temps or temp monitoring. It's not a UDS or a kettle. If you want to control temps then any potential buyers can steer clear of the PBC. It's doable but again not it's design as it's supposed to be a simple cooker.

Second, you can fit three butts (max 8 lbs each) though when loaded regardless of the meat you will have to run it longer.

http://i.imgur.com/gbM0ML7h.jpg

PatioDaddio
07-13-2017, 10:44 PM
I must have missed the part where the OP asked us to show off our culinary skills! :-P

I didn't take it that way. I think he was simply showing the versatility.

John

Kanco Connection
07-13-2017, 10:47 PM
And I think SSV was proving me wrong on the steak-searing thing! I've read enough of the PBC Appreciation Thread to know there's nothing that can't be done on the PBC--at least by SSV3! I should have known better!

ssv3
07-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Well, I tried to oblige to the op and find something negative about the PBC but failed terribly. :becky: Usually to me culinary awesomeness is inspirational. Especially since I'm a visual person.

Plus Im answering Kanco Bob. :-D

ssv3
07-13-2017, 10:55 PM
I didn't take it that way. I think he was simply showing the versatility.

John

Thanks John! Me and Bob kid a lot.:thumb:

ssv3
07-13-2017, 11:00 PM
And I think SSV was proving me wrong on the steak-searing thing! I've read enough of the PBC Appreciation Thread to know there's nothing that can't be done on the PBC--at least by SSV3! I should have known better!

Thanks for the kind words Kanco. It's a capable cooker to say the least.

Stlsportster
07-13-2017, 11:01 PM
Well, I tried to oblige to the op and find something negative about the PBC but failed terribly. :becky: Usually to me culinary awesomeness is inspirational. Especially since I'm a visual person.

Plus Im answering Kanco Bob. :-D

You know I have mad love for both you and the PBC, Sako...

Those comments were my best attempt at something negative too.

Kanco Connection
07-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Props to the PBC experts (SSV, 16Adams, Stlsportster, PatioD, and more . . .): Seems that the PBC experts are the least aggressive, most humble, and readily helpful BBQ experts on this site. It's amazing how many guys on here seem to get off on jumping on each other. Not with the PBC. (probably should have put that not he appreciation thread)

ssv3
07-13-2017, 11:11 PM
You know I have mad love for both you and the PBC, Sako...

Those comments were my best attempt at something negative too.

All good and feeling's mutual brother.:thumb:

ssv3
07-13-2017, 11:22 PM
We're all here to help and learn from each other. Heck, I learn new things daily on here and plenty of times from new members.

Vammy
07-14-2017, 12:04 AM
Sako cooks thing that the rest of maybe dream about...he DA MAN!! Well, he and 16 Adams....

Seriously: I have had nothing but accolades about the stuff that comes off the PBC, including some guys that are stick burners only...yes, it runs a little hotter. Yes, 8 racks of ribs might get done in 3 hours. Yes, you can do a brisket in 6 hours...probably:-D

It's a great cooker. Boought mine in Feb based on this site, and a couple other reviews. I am fairly confident that I sold at least one during my 4th of July cook, folks were amazed...and I suck at cooking compared to SSV3, 16 Adams, and others....

Bob C Cue
07-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Thanks John! Me and Bob kid a lot.:thumb:

And my attempts at humor are often poorly executed! lol!

PorkinButts82
07-14-2017, 08:29 AM
You can add grate spacehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170714/7aa642138a32895dc1accd3307a38f25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AClarke44
07-14-2017, 08:35 AM
While there are tweaks that will allow you to add grate space the above setup will not work in the PBC.

Stlsportster
07-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Yep..seen some grate (pun intended) mods. Just like was stated in my post. You can also drill to add a second level. And I've seen people make mods to add a diffuser.

It can certainly be done.

PorkinButts82
07-14-2017, 11:36 AM
While there are tweaks that will allow you to add grate space the above setup will not work in the PBC.
I'm not referring to the diffuser, I was just showing you the grate mod. That setup is for my uds.

electron_si
07-14-2017, 11:42 AM
My neighbor has one and continually on more than one occasion he has had to add coals to get an 8lb butt finished. He uses the lighter fluid method and I think that might be the reason why. I try not to get in his business about it but I've told him to try the chimney method instead.

ssv3
07-14-2017, 12:12 PM
And my attempts at humor are often poorly executed! lol!

Correction: Bob and I :becky:

ssv3
07-14-2017, 12:14 PM
My neighbor has one and continually on more than one occasion he has had to add coals to get an 8lb butt finished. He uses the lighter fluid method and I think that might be the reason why. I try not to get in his business about it but I've told him to try the chimney method instead.

Doesn't sound right even if he uses lighter fluid. A full basket of coals runs min of 8 hours and I've gone as long as 11 hours.

arclite
07-14-2017, 12:31 PM
The only negative I can think of is I don't have enough space on the grill deck to add a PBC. First world problems...

16Adams
07-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks, but I am just a MSU artiste' :icon_smile_tongue:

I am pretty much in awe of the "at home" food people churn out around here. Some cook to taste-some by feel- some have more culinary talent than I'll ever possess. I'll tell you my secret. I love photography and taking food photos. I like looking at others food photos.
So a lot of times when Im deciding what to cook, I'm basically wondering how it will photograph. I'm probably not going to do it but I think 4 of the 30 oz Tomahawk Ribeyes with holes drilled in the handle hanging in a PBC would make a killer photo-and an awesome feed. Swinging Meat- hard to beat.

AClarke44
07-14-2017, 01:40 PM
I'm not referring to the diffuser, I was just showing you the grate mod. That setup is for my uds.

I understand and actually the diffuser portion of your mod would work in the PBC. The reason I don't think the grate mod would work is because 1, it looks like it'll sit up too high and be too close to the lid therefor making it not useful for anything except maybe wings......Also it looks like it could interfere with being able to put the rods in the PBC which are important because they help stabilize temperatures and keep the cooker from cooking in the 375-400° range. Your mod would probably work if a domed lid was used instead of the original flat PBC lid.

Most people mod the PBC in a manner that allows for a second grate to go below the first grate. Either by drilling extra holes and screwing in bolts to hold a second grate...... or a few or our members have found hardware that allows a second grate to hang about 6-8" below the first grate using the bolts that hold the first grate as anchors....If I had a picture it would make more sense....