PDA

View Full Version : Serving/keeping warm

Lastrajm
07-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Having a BBQ Saturday, there will be about 24 adults and 14 kids coming. Menu is to include 4 angus plate ribs, 2 picnic shoulders, hot dogs and hamburgers. I'll prob end up cooking 25 hot dogs and about 25 hamburgers. I'll keep those warm in pans I imagine, how long will they stay warm for you think? Also, I plan on being done w the smoke part of the cook around 4 and keep everything warm, wrapped with towels and into a cooler till about 5:30, I should be able to bang out the dogs and burgers from 5-5:30. I've never done a cook this big honestly, so I'm gauging if this plan sounds good. Any thoughts?

J

THoey1963
07-12-2017, 04:40 PM
I am thinking you are saying plate short ribs? If so, those usually take me about 7 to 8 hours at 275*. Toothpick test between each bone to check for tenderness. I usually pan and foil shoulders when they get the color I like, and they usually take about an hour per pound, so similar time to the ribs depending. Both the bones and the butts can be vented for 30 mins, wrapped in foil, and then put in an oven to keep warm until time to slice and pull.

As for the burgers and dogs, I might do half up at the start, resting in a pan off to the cool side of the grill to stay warm, and then start grilling the rest as people start eating. They don't take long and I'd rather have fresh myself.

mchar69
07-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Are you gonna skin the picnics?
I agree with Terry about the burgers - cook a few to to get 'em started.
I think people would like to see THEIR burger come off the grill - and into their gullet!
Also, you have alot of food, maybe not everyone wants a dog and a burger.
Good luck!

Lastrajm
07-12-2017, 06:14 PM
I make the plate ribs all the time and my cook time every single time is 7 hours. What I'm trying to ask is are the ribs ok wrapped in a towel for 1-2 hrs?

I haven't thought about the skinning part yet, I messed up and bought picnincs instead of butts. Plan on pulling it, honestly this is my second picnic smoke ever. Smoked one when I first got the Shirley and can't remember it.

I agree there's a ton of food. I plan on leftovers and midnight snacking with the crew I roll with.

Lastrajm
07-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Are you gonna skin the picnics?

Is there a benefit of doing this?

Lastrajm
07-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Any recommendations on how to serve the plate ribs? Thinking of removing bones and slicing each "bone section" in half.

THoey1963
07-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Yes, you can hold the short ribs. They call them brisket on a stick for a reason. Resting is actually good for them.

If I was going to serve the ribs to whoever wanted some, I would probably slice the ribs into individual bones, then slice the meat off each bone, then slice each of those hunks into 1/2 inch slices. Lay them out nicely on a plate and let them grab a hunk or two.

Lastrajm
07-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Yes, you can hold the short ribs. They call them brisket on a stick for a reason. Resting is actually good for them.

If I was going to serve the ribs to whoever wanted some, I would probably slice the ribs into individual bones, then slice the meat off each bone, then slice each of those hunks into 1/2 inch slices. Lay them out nicely on a plate and let them grab a hunk or two.

I do love brisket and I agree w the brisket on a stick. thanks that sounds like the plan.