PDA

View Full Version : First brisket in Oklahoma Joe's Highland

Sedville
07-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Was hoping to save up and buy a lang, but with a daughter in competitive cheer...... may be a while before I can justify that! This was on sale a couple weeks ago at lowes for 199 and decided it will work just fine. No modifications other than sealing firebox when assembling and sealing to cook chamber. Have cooked some dry runs and chickens and seems to be fairly consistent using straight oak. Decided to put a 12 pound brisket in this morning and of course it seems to be temperamental today! Oh well, here is a picture of the brisket just shy of 4 hours in. Enjoying the website as well! Had been using weber kettle with snake method prior to this, but couldn't fit enough meat in it! I scored the fat cap a bit, not sure if it's necessary or not though. Not the best picture due to the sun.

Stingerhook
07-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Nice looking grub.

CeramicChef
07-08-2017, 01:08 PM
That looks like the beginnings of a great brisket cook. Kudos to you. Please post pics of the final product.

ronbrad62
07-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the brethren, and it does look like it is going to be a great dinner night at your place. I started out with that same smoker, and it performed well. It is a great smoker to learn the tricks and tips on, and you can enjoy great smoked fare while you either scour Craigslist for a deal on a good, used Lang or save up for a new one.

Sedville
07-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Internal temp is at 168 and beginning to climb again. The thin part was away from firebox and only 162. I rotated the brisket 180 hoping it evens back out. Thanks for the replies!

Sedville
07-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Question about thin blue smoke. The smoke stack mixes between thin blue and thin white. Is thin white just as bad as the thick white? This happens obviously when reloading wood, but also sometimes after thin blue was going, went to nothing, and then some thin white again before reload.

weave1499
07-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Nice. And I'm on board with the OK Joes too. I've posted several times that the cheap offsets are a good way to learn in my opinion. I cooked some good food on a char-griller smoking pro for 10 years, and the first 3 or 4 I thought I owned the best backyard cooker anybody ever made. Then I discovered this forum and others and the whole universe of cookers. Learn on something like that, then figure out if you even want to upgrade to a high end offset. You may want something different. Enjoy it, and enjoy dinner tonight. Wish I was smoking a brisket today.

Steve J
07-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Was hoping to save up and buy a lang, but with a daughter in competitive cheer...... may be a while before I can justify that! This was on sale a couple weeks ago at lowes for 199 and decided it will work just fine. No modifications other than sealing firebox when assembling and sealing to cook chamber. Have cooked some dry runs and chickens and seems to be fairly consistent using straight oak. Decided to put a 12 pound brisket in this morning and of course it seems to be temperamental today! Oh well, here is a picture of the brisket just shy of 4 hours in. Enjoying the website as well! Had been using weber kettle with snake method prior to this, but couldn't fit enough meat in it! I scored the fat cap a bit, not sure if it's necessary or not though. Not the best picture due to the sun.
Nice looking brisket. I hadn't thought to score the fat cap so nice lesson. Enjoy

Steve J
07-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Nice. And I'm on board with the OK Joes too. I've posted several times that the cheap offsets are a good way to learn in my opinion. I cooked some good food on a char-griller smoking pro for 10 years, and the first 3 or 4 I thought I owned the best backyard cooker anybody ever made. Then I discovered this forum and others and the whole universe of cookers. Learn on something like that, then figure out if you even want to upgrade to a high end offset. You may want something different. Enjoy it, and enjoy dinner tonight. Wish I was smoking a brisket today.
I agree with you whole-heartedly. The Char-Griller Smokin' Pro is what I have now and I've had it for nine years. It's been good to learn on, but I'm ready for something new.

SmittyJonz
07-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Some White Smoke is Normal when you add Wood. Some charcoal will white smoke most of the cook.

Sedville
07-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Well not the best! Edible but far from good! I pulled it early because the top portion of thick part was like mush and the rest was like 185. Thin portion was pretty dry and overall tasted like pot roast! Guess I'll start back in on smaller shorter cooks. Cooked around 275 degrees pretty consistently. Here is the final product. Hopefully get better over time though!

Sedville
07-08-2017, 08:51 PM
On a separate note though: the home grown tomatoes, deviled eggs, and baked potato were phenomenal!

mchar69
07-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Believe it or not, I bet the thing was UNDER cooked.
Whatever, there's plenty to do with that meat.
Good luck with the new rig.

fwdiii
07-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Yes, at 185 degrees, a bit under done.....but, it sure looks real good!!

Sedville
07-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Thanks! Overdone even if the point was mushy? That's nuts! Guess that's why I'm here among the pros..... to learn something! Seriously, appreciate the tips!

Titch
07-08-2017, 10:17 PM
looks tasty enough from here mate, sauce it:thumb:

mtime7
07-08-2017, 10:25 PM
I would add a heat deflector, I would bet you are getting a lot of radiant heat on one side of your brisket. They can easily be made, I bought a piece of steel at lowes , trimmed it with a side grinder, marked it and stopped by a local sheet metal shop and they bent it for me for free.. Then I just drilled the holes to use the existing bolts for the fire box.

Meatguyver
07-09-2017, 12:01 AM
that looked great! i like them nice and dark before i wrap and let em go till they jiggle. keep trying, you'll knock it out of the park soon