PDA

View Full Version : Grits revisited.

Mo-Dave
07-08-2017, 11:59 AM
I started a thread awhile back discussing grits, this is an up date. I like them with salt, pepper and butter sometimes some sugar, depending on my mood, still need to try them with shrimp and cheese, maybe some crumbled bacon. The problem I have is absolute no one in my house will eat them, not even a taste.I was at a 4th of July party with maybe 30 or so people which I ask at least half if they liked grits, to a person they would screw up their face and spit out a resounding no, almost as if they had something very bad in their mouth.

I will still eat them but only me I guess, just not on a regular basis I guess. In the meanwhile I will try different things so someday other will at least give them a try.:pray:
Dave

ncmoose
07-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Too bad you don't live here. Funny given how regionalism seems to be fading that grits haven't spread more.

DaChief
07-08-2017, 12:02 PM
We love grits but of course we also grew up on them. Shrimp and grits is da bomb!

Stlsportster
07-08-2017, 12:44 PM
My wife and one of the kids like grits and cheese for breakfast. I love it with shrimp and a good spicy broth. They get it at Cracker Barrel and we make the cheap instant stuff at home.

Nuco59
07-08-2017, 01:37 PM
make the cheap instant stuff at home

Instant grits are an abomination.

My Cousin Vinny is full of good lines, but this is a keeper

"No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits."

lastmajordude
07-08-2017, 03:10 PM
I eat them with a screwed up face also......generally because there ISN”T ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

ModelMaker
07-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Tried them at a breakfast buffet in Myrtle Beach once. You won't die from eating them but not much there just plain off the spoon...
Ed

ShadowDriver
07-08-2017, 03:41 PM
I found the problem, Ed:
Tried them at a breakfast buffet in Myrtle Beach once.

Seriously. Grits, cooked well and served with some salt, pepper, and good butter... that's the food of the Gods (among many other items). Cheese grits? Yes, please! Shrimp and Grits!? Heck, yes! - BUT, the grits must be cooked well (not watery/soupy or like a big old clump of dried out hard bits).

Think we'll have to break out some for tomorrow's Sunday Brunch... appreciate the thought/idea!

Big George's BBQ
07-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Love Grits Like you wish my family did

cats49er
07-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Don't forget red eye gravy,country ham,molasses,and biscuits with them grits.

Westx
07-08-2017, 05:14 PM
We love grits especially covered with tomatoe gravey.

lastmajordude
07-08-2017, 05:22 PM
i found the problem, ed:

Seriously. Grits, cooked well and served with some salt, pepper, and good butter... That's the food of the gods (among many other items). Cheese grits? Yes, please! Shrimp and grits!? Heck, yes! - but, the grits must be cooked well (not watery/soupy or like a big old clump of dried out hard bits).

Think we'll have to break out some for tomorrow's sunday brunch... Appreciate the thought/idea!

t h i s ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thingfish
07-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Folks who don't like grits have not had them well-prepared or are just hung up on the name. "Grits" doesn't sound very appealing. But then the fish "Slimehead" doesn't sound good either, thus they're marketed as "Orange Roughy". Maybe grits needs a new boutique name?

PNWSmoke
07-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Hated grits as a kid, but like them well enough as an adult. I agree, plain grits are pretty bland, but I'd probably rather have plain grits than say, plain potatoes.

Cheesy grits though, yum yum. I haven't tried them with sugar or syrup.

Nuco59
07-08-2017, 06:22 PM
I never have put anything on straight grits except salt, pepper and butter.

BUT if you have some thin sliced country ham- well that is a different story. Grits, fried country style ham with red eye gravy... and salt and pepper- naturally.

cats49er
07-08-2017, 06:27 PM
I never have put anything on straight grits except salt, pepper and butter.

BUT if you have some thin sliced country ham- well that is a different story. Grits, fried country style ham with red eye gravy... and salt and pepper- naturally.

And can through in 3 or 4 over easy eggs

jjjonz
07-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Lay a soft fried egg on a plate,throw a gob of grits on top. Now mix it all up and a jelly biscuit on the side . yoweeee !!!

punchy
07-08-2017, 10:35 PM
from Louisiana, love grits. I bet this place could share some awesome recipes.

Sea Rover
07-08-2017, 11:07 PM
I never had grits until going to Johnny Triggs cooking class in Hammond Louisiana and the grits we had for breakfast were to die for. I now make shrimp and grits once a week. The problem I have is finding grits in California.