PDA

View Full Version : New to me Ole Hickory CTO-Any Tips

fireman_pete
07-06-2017, 12:54 PM
I just picked up a new to me, 2016 Ole Hickory CTO. It is going to be replacing a Cookshack FEC120.

I am trying to determine the amount of wood and/or charcoal that I should be putting in the basket for a cook. I have read the manual, and searched all over the internet, and there is not a ton of info out there.

Any current CTO owners want to share what works best for them?

I did my first cook on the 4th of July, and used one 12" hickory split and 4 chunks of apple. I cooked a brisket, butts, and ribs. When i put the ribs on after about 4 hours, I added another split and 2 more chunks of wood.

We had a decent amount of smoke on the large meats, and the ribs were lighter in smoke flavor.

I would appreciate any and all tips and suggestions.

Thanks!

Pete

Cook
07-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Sounds like to me you have your information already. Congrats on the purchase & initial cook!

Another cook, or two, and you'll figure it out on your own.

I will say that with chicken I only put one (1) single fist sized chunk of oak in my basket. That was enough for me...others might like a stronger smoke on their poultry.

As for everything else...for butts I would load the basket full of small splits & walk away. If the smoke is clean, you can't oversmoke the things. Ribs, I would think a couple of splits would be ok since it's a shorter cook...but you can judge for yourself.

The only real advise I had was for the chicken.

The CTO is an amazing piece of equipment.

fireman_pete
07-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply and information. My only real concern is over smoking things.

Have you tried using charcoal in the basket?

Thanks

Pete

Sounds like to me you have your information already. Congrats on the purchase & initial cook!

Another cook, or two, and you'll figure it out on your own.

I will say that with chicken I only put one (1) single fist sized chunk of oak in my basket. That was enough for me...others might like a stronger smoke on their poultry.

As for everything else...for butts I would load the basket full of small splits & walk away. If the smoke is clean, you can't oversmoke the things. Ribs, I would think a couple of splits would be ok since it's a shorter cook...but you can judge for yourself.

The only real advise I had was for the chicken.

The CTO is an amazing piece of equipment.

Cook
07-06-2017, 08:38 PM
I never put coals in my CTO when I had it...but I did for years in the larger Ole Hickorys. No issues. I would try to position the basket right at the edge of the flame so it only ignites a corner of the coals. That way it'll give you a slower "burn".

It is an awesome ass machine. If I ever get back into the commercial Q business, it'd be at the top of my list.

unixadm
07-06-2017, 11:52 PM
I have an older CTO with the side firebox. I normally use 2-3 chunks of wood and a basket of lump charcoal. I set mine up with a comp switch (I made my own) and only use the propane to get it started.

http://www.dmwtech.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2017/07/06/20170706215232-4f43b792-me.jpg

I also added my own comp switch on the Ole Hickory EL-ES I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I seem to get a cleaner burn of the wood by doing this. Just my two cents.

unixadm
07-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Also, let me know if you want to sell your FEC120. I'm in Sacramento. :)

fireman_pete
07-07-2017, 10:55 AM
The FEC120 will be for sale next week.

Send me an email if you are interested for details: [email protected]

Thanks

Pete

Also, let me know if you want to sell your FEC120. I'm in Sacramento. :)

fireman_pete
07-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the information.

Would you mind sharing any details on how you did the comp switch?

TIA

Pete

I have an older CTO with the side firebox. I normally use 2-3 chunks of wood and a basket of lump charcoal. I set mine up with a comp switch (I made my own) and only use the propane to get it started.

http://www.dmwtech.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2017/07/06/20170706215232-4f43b792-me.jpg

I also added my own comp switch on the Ole Hickory EL-ES I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I seem to get a cleaner burn of the wood by doing this. Just my two cents.

unixadm
07-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the information.

Would you mind sharing any details on how you did the comp switch?

TIA

Pete

Sure. To add a comp switch to an Ole Hickory pit, you need the following tools:

1. Center Punch
2. ~1/4" Colbalt Drill Bit
3. Step bit for expanding the hole
4. Drill
5. Basic hand tools
6. Wire stripper / crimper

In terms of the parts, you'll need the following:

1. Female crimp on spade connector
2. 14 AWG stranded wire. The igniter wire is yellow, so that's the color I use.
3. A two position selector switch, rated for AC voltage. I use a 10A selector switch.

The comp switch basically disables the "igniter" portion of the burner assembly, but allows the combustion fan to still operate. On the burner assembly, there is a control module with various wires which plug into it using spade terminals. There is a yellow wire which is on the end of the row of wires which you must remove and install the selector switch inline with that wire. That is the 120V input to the control module assemble that controls the gas valve and igniter. To test if you have the right wire, just unplug it (and tape it), then command the burner on by adjusting the thermostat. If the combustion fan turns on but the igniter doesn't attempt to start the burner, then you've got the right wire. Cut it and splice in the switch assembly.

When the selector switch is in the NC or ON position, the burner will operate just like normal. When the selector switch is in the OFF or NO position, the control module will not receive 120 volts, which will prevent the gas valve from opening and from the control module from energizing the igniter. Because you're sectioning the 120V input to the control module only, the combustion fan will still operate when the thermostat demands heating.

I sent you an email on the FEC120, feel free to reach out to me via email for more specifics. If we end up making a deal, I'll print you an outdoor weather rated sticker and give you a switch so that you can install it in your CTO. I have four extra switches.

This is the selector switch I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FCXGGXE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1