PDA

View Full Version : This just happened

Pitmaster T
07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
I was experimenting with crossing an Italian Broth like Johnny's Italian Beef Sandwiches in Chicago has with a Guatemalan style Birria de Res....essentially the reason is I could either put it in a taco and the customer could dip the taco in the gravy OR --- serve the sliced meat (which had been rubbed, smoked, sliced thin, then simmered in the same broth with a requested dip of the bread roll in the gravy...so wild I think I am losing my mind

anyway... I felt the earth shutter...like I thought I was feeling the continent blast out that pressure under yosmite...

then I spotted this creation by Ernest Servantes ---

DAMN!!!!! 145990

It is a cheeseburger french dip thing

Trunks
07-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Wow what is on that thing !

stangman327
07-05-2017, 08:28 PM
I just took a blood pressure pill just for looking at it!
WOW! looks awesome!

bryonlr
07-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Cheeseburger with a gravy hat

thirdeye
07-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Looks like an armadillo on a bun. :mrgreen:

16Adams
07-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Dam Dam---dayum

McSpazatron
07-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Get me a bib and some goggles. I'm going in face first!

Bob C Cue
07-05-2017, 09:29 PM
What? No bacon? It coulda been a contender!

WareZdaBeef
07-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Beef looks a little too lean for my taste.

Notorious Q.U.E.
07-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Looks like a Barney Clark: cheeseburger with a sunny side egg up on top of the slice of cheese--great solution for a bad day!

Pitmaster T
07-05-2017, 10:21 PM
Dam Dam---dayum

Good Times - DAMN DAAAMN DAAAAAAMN - YouTube

PorkinButts82
07-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Gluten free?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KevinJ
07-05-2017, 10:34 PM
The Cheese Burger French Dip thing looks pretty damn good. :hungry:

IamMadMan
07-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Wow.... Throw some horseradish in it and I'm in....

MasterTech
07-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Gotta stop looking at stuff like this before bedtime. Too hungry now. Looks fantastic :)

Kikaida
07-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Holy *expletive*!!!!

locosmoke
07-05-2017, 11:17 PM
I think I need one of those in my life!!!!

PatAttack
07-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Son of a...!!

Notorious Q.U.E.
07-06-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm thinking of Chris Farley hitting himself in the chest but, damn, I want one!!

billbird02
07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Medic!

rdstoll
07-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Now wait a minute T - Johnny's Beef gravy and Guatemalan style meat??? I've been on a Beef-making kick of late have done some good recipes but Johnny's is my favorite in the area by a mile. Plus my wife is from Guate!

Whatcha tryin' to do there son??

Pitmaster T
07-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Now wait a minute T - Johnny's Beef gravy and Guatemalan style meat??? I've been on a Beef-making kick of late have done some good recipes but Johnny's is my favorite in the area by a mile. Plus my wife is from Guate!

Whatcha tryin' to do there son??

No... its really a addition to the gravy. Its an IMEX thing (Italian-Mexican).

Birria de Res is a very chili pepper puree enhanced beef gravy. I am using 1 part ancho and 2 parts new mexican chili and some spices.
Now in the Mexican beef dish side they take a thicker sliced beef and simmer it in the puree...146023
and water, imparting the beef flavor into the liquid.
The meat is shredded and served in a tortilla with the gravy on the side to dip it in
OR... as a soup.

NOW THE CHICAGO JOHNNY

http://www.chicagoposse.com/LiveJournal/jibbeef-l.jpg
Johnnys, not mine - begging to be regionalized

Now on the Italian side I add some additional Italian spices (but I still use Mexican Oregano) and like Johnny's I roast -the meat BUT in a smoker enough to get that ring and bark. However-- mostly because it is cheap from my vendor - $4.14-$4.99 a lb, I am smoking a rib eye lipon roast that is select grade - not that good for anything but thick, reverse sear steaks or.... philly sliced. I don't even cook it all the way... pull at 120 and flash chill and wrap to chill for slicing.

those slicings are in 2lb baggies with - guess what - a little chili puree as a marinade. this is frozen for game day!

on game day the birria de res is made but in the Johnny way - with concentrate.... although I drop some good bones and onions and jalapeno and poblano peppers in for taste.

The meat is dropped in to simmer.

service is bi - racial

lol

the meat is awesome in tacos - seared on the griddle if i have time, or put on a bollio roll and dipped at the customer request like a wet torta with various fixings the customer wants. i also use the meat to upgrade brats, and those Sonoran pepper and bacon wrapped dogs i make.

the sweet peppers Johnny's uses, since poblanos and jalapenos are cheaper, the bell peppers get mixed into the polanos an jalapenos but in a more blistered presentation than the way johnny does.

The only picture I have thus far of the sandwich is this

DerHusker
07-06-2017, 11:20 AM
I was experimenting with crossing an Italian Broth like Johnny's Italian Beef Sandwiches in Chicago has with a Guatemalan style Birria de Res....essentially the reason is I could either put it in a taco and the customer could dip the taco in the gravy OR --- serve the sliced meat (which had been rubbed, smoked, sliced thin, then simmered in the same broth with a requested dip of the bread roll in the gravy...so wild I think I am losing my mind

anyway... I felt the earth shutter...like I thought I was feeling the continent blast out that pressure under yosmite...

then I spotted this creation by Ernest Servantes ---

DAMN!!!!! 145990

It is a cheeseburger french dip thing
That looks delicious but

I FEEL THE BIG ONE COMING!
http://33.media.tumblr.com/bb3809189d61de22d30d7804875b2884/tumblr_moxfswPSyC1r986t6o1_400.gif

Pitmaster T
07-06-2017, 04:31 PM
lmao

That looks delicious but

I FEEL THE BIG ONE COMING!
http://33.media.tumblr.com/bb3809189d61de22d30d7804875b2884/tumblr_moxfswPSyC1r986t6o1_400.gif

nmeyer414
07-06-2017, 06:30 PM
damn you Donnie, I wish I would have lived closer to you when I was stationed in TX...........

SmokinJohn
07-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Charge the paddles to 300........CLEAR!!!!!!
Another bite......

rdstoll
07-07-2017, 11:52 AM
No... its really a addition to the gravy. Its an IMEX thing (Italian-Mexican).

Birria de Res is a very chili pepper puree enhanced beef gravy. I am using 1 part ancho and 2 parts new mexican chili and some spices.
Now in the Mexican beef dish side they take a thicker sliced beef and simmer it in the puree...146023
and water, imparting the beef flavor into the liquid.
The meat is shredded and served in a tortilla with the gravy on the side to dip it in
OR... as a soup.

NOW THE CHICAGO JOHNNY

http://www.chicagoposse.com/LiveJournal/jibbeef-l.jpg
Johnnys, not mine - begging to be regionalized

Now on the Italian side I add some additional Italian spices (but I still use Mexican Oregano) and like Johnny's I roast -the meat BUT in a smoker enough to get that ring and bark. However-- mostly because it is cheap from my vendor - $4.14-$4.99 a lb, I am smoking a rib eye lipon roast that is select grade - not that good for anything but thick, reverse sear steaks or.... philly sliced. I don't even cook it all the way... pull at 120 and flash chill and wrap to chill for slicing.

those slicings are in 2lb baggies with - guess what - a little chili puree as a marinade. this is frozen for game day!

on game day the birria de res is made but in the Johnny way - with concentrate.... although I drop some good bones and onions and jalapeno and poblano peppers in for taste.

The meat is dropped in to simmer.

service is bi - racial

lol

the meat is awesome in tacos - seared on the griddle if i have time, or put on a bollio roll and dipped at the customer request like a wet torta with various fixings the customer wants. i also use the meat to upgrade brats, and those Sonoran pepper and bacon wrapped dogs i make.

the sweet peppers Johnny's uses, since poblanos and jalapenos are cheaper, the bell peppers get mixed into the polanos an jalapenos but in a more blistered presentation than the way johnny does.

The only picture I have thus far of the sandwich is this

All I can say is....

Pitmaster T
07-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Meathead Goldwyn has a pretty good giardiniera recipe here (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/condiments/giardiniera.html). a relish that goes on top.

Now I want to hear from Bob Brisket on the adaptations to Mexican culture (like the equivalent of) of this giardiniera. I did one hot dawg and meat sandwich event and the giardiniera went fast. I was wondering why... cuz only the white cracker assed muther ****ers would ask what it was. And you can't tell who the grease-ball Italians are these days. So I am imagining its the Mexican gentlemen and their hot goddesses that were devouring it. Also, the displaced Nubian and Egyptians also seemed to like it.

My changes were that I used some local adaptions of the Texas Italian variety. For one, I am not a homo (NTTAWWT) so i refused to put cauliflower in - I am a Christian... so yes... i used chopped okra. I am also not a commie so i used olive oil and being a guy that loves the veterans, I used fennel. This was funny because a guy who has refused my sausage and meatballs because it had fennel in it, scarfed up this stuff when i made it. and yes, yellow squash is better than zucchini.

http://www.mastercook.com/app/Image/8358190/2679968.jpg

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Okay, so want to Mexify the Giardiniera up a bit?

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking crossing it with some pico de gallo in a way.

How was the heat level and was it more on the oil side vs vinegar or other way around?

Also, I can see where fennel and okra might turn some off, but I have an idea that will require you to make contact with your "homo" side if you are willing to do so. NTTAWWT, :)

Addition #1 - http://www.kleinspickle.com/Hot_Cauliflower-8-86-179.html. They also make a version of the hot pickled stuff that has celery and carrots in it, but harder to find. These bring heat and more acid. You need to get in touch with this side, Donnie. Find your natural heat!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwU2ypTsVLg

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Addition #2 - I would use the hot pickle brine instead of red wine vinegar. Again, will bring in some heat and IMO cut through the oil a bit more. Brings color too. Also, bring a TON of salt with it as do the veggies themselves, but in this case, I particularly like that kind salt content.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Addition #3 - That stuff is BEGGING for some cilantro.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Addition #4 - Cumin. Or you could further morph it and add some curry powder instead, but cumin is more in line with it.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Addition 5 and 6,7 - some adobo/chipotle peppers or some roasted Anaheim OR chop up a few of those jalapeños I saw you keeping n your flat top! Or all of. Adobo brings smokiness, Anaheims bring the green chile flavor and the penos bring the heat and char as do the long greens.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Lastly, scallions. Some fresh green onion would be really nice in there.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Also, I love okra. Some don't. How did you use it? Fresh? They also sell hot pickled okra. That one might disguise a bit better.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 08:27 PM
One more thing, but it comes down to availability and is a bit of a process on its own and will bring some "slime" to the party. But, you can cut down on that if prepared properly. NOPALES! Like I said, these require some prep but would very much Mexify it a few notches!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ogZYLnPRogY
Bob

Pitmaster T
07-07-2017, 10:17 PM
it might be easier to make two separate ones. is there one word in spanish that means "from the garden"

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Yes, "de jardin"means from the garden. "Ensalada" is salad. Ensalada de jardin would pretty much mean garden salad. But you could call it something like and Ensalada Curtida. Which means more like a pickled salad.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Two separate might be better. I'd start with a basic pico de gallo and go from there, incorporating some of the Giardiniera components. Ya know, something like some garbanzo would work too.

Maybe keep the Mexican one more on the vinegar end. Very littl oil. And the other just like it is.

Did you have this at the end of the serving line where people could self serve it?

Another odd thing, the giar is mostly cube chopped. You could make the other in shredded or a slaw type. Funny, but just something like the slice you use transforms something.

Bob

Pitmaster T
07-07-2017, 10:58 PM
im gonna need thishttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41N8KSA-27L.jpg

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 11:11 PM
The more I think about what I'm telling you, the more I actually think of Salpicon instead of pico de gallo. Salpicon is a cold, shredded beef based salad and so damn good. But, look at this vid and omit the meat as it will be on the sammich, but build in the base she uses for the veggies.

Bob

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Okyi9y4BVc

Pitmaster T
07-07-2017, 11:37 PM
at 605... what is she pouring in first. orange juice? limones are different. i see them at my store.. tiny limes.. lol

BobBrisket
07-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Yes, juice of 1 orange and lime from 7 small ones or 2 large. She says she doesn't like the taste of straight up raw onion, so she is goes through this step where she pickles them a bit to the down the onion flavor.

Then 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar and 4 tbs of evoo.
Bob

BobBrisket
07-08-2017, 12:12 AM
Salpicon is perfect for leftover brisket, pork or chicken. Just gotta shred it.

Bob

Pitmaster T
07-08-2017, 12:19 AM
i already serve pickled red onions.... i would like to modify using this

BobBrisket
07-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Now, boiling is the norm. She does say the broth will be saved and used for another dish at some point. I have used smoked meats for this salad, but not a fan. I'd rather get the meat done in the roaster or pressure cooker. Just basic shredded beef is best. Iceberg lettuce is cheap. She used half head of lettuce.

Bob

Pickling with the fresh on and lime juice makes a nice difference.

Pitmaster T
07-08-2017, 12:37 AM
i AM amazed by our discussions. A lot of talk and ideas and while not able to do everything there is always a little something I fold in. This discussion made me realize a couple of things.. one was... as we were talking about the Giardiniera I realized I am gonna leave it be because nearly everything you wanted to add to it is already on the table so a person can mix and match it all anyway. It helped justify what else was going to be on the ice table.

But this Salpicon having me want to depart with the onion and juice part... also... wont the lettuce wilt quickly? This is why I am thinking just the onions part.

I have student that give me ideas too.

Thanks so much bob.

BobBrisket
07-08-2017, 01:00 AM
I dig the swapping of ideas too, Donnie. Mostly because I really like putting new twists on things. As much as I love Mexican food, I don't cook it often. Guess cause I'm kinda burned out in it, but I like to incorporate it in new ways when I grill or smoke meat. Or, instead of spaghetti sauce, I'm using a red chile purée. Lol.

Yeah, thinking now, the lettuce will wilt. It is also made with cabbage. That would help that issue. But the lettuce is nice cause it makes for a lighter version. The cabbage gets bulky.

I like that extra credit idea where you had the kids bring pics of their Mom's spice cabinet. Lol. I add garbanzos to my Salpicon.

Lemme see if I can find the recipe.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Okay, first let me give credit where credit is due. This recipe was given to me by my cousin, Dante. This is his Grandmother's recipe. I remember eating this stuff by the bowl full when I was a kid at all the big family gatherings. While all the other aunts tried to topple her as the Salpicon Queen, my grandmother included, they just couldn't. Lol. They all had their specialties. Hers was Salpicon. Got to see him again this last Christmas. It was a great time. He is currently opening up a BBQ joint in Celina, TX called Tender BBQ. I hope it goes well for him. We manage to get ourselves in lots of trouble when we were younger and managed not to get caught about 95% of the time. Our dads made up for it when we did get caught! Lmao!

Here ya go! Tia Carmen's Salpicon.

Now, eyeball measurements here. He used a regular dressing bottle to be able to shake it up and pour over salad.
Dressing: evoo, apple cider vinegar, fresh oj, lime juice, salt, pepper and brown mustard. (We talked about the evoo and brown mustard and how she may have used more basic ingredients back then. Just cooking oil, possibly white vinegar, and regular mustard).

Veggies: cabbage, cilantro, and garbanzos. Canned garbanzos are fine, but must be soaked in a colander and you must manually remove the husks on them. I never knew they really had a small husk or skin on em, but kinda just pinched em and the skins came off. Green onion and shredded carrot.

I like to add finely slivered celery, radish, and pickled jalpenos. But, those are my additions.

In a large bowl, combine it all along with shredded brisket. I made the brisket that day in the roaster along with some water and Dales and some onions and garlic. Just let it go till shread easy.

Pour the dressing, mix, toss. It is best when allowed to sit in the fridge for a few hours. Keep tossing every now and then.

I remember eating this in plastic cups and I'd put some hot sauce on it. Plastic cup was best cause we be out eating it while we played and got into that trouble I mentioned earlier.

Lol.

All this reminds me I have a half of a gallon zip of some shredded brisket I made a while back! Hmmmmmm.

Pitmaster T
07-08-2017, 09:40 AM
But as I look at it, and I love the idea of cabbage and garbanzos... But with that of and lemon juice on the onions... I see this without the brisket. I am looking for "toppings". Of course... It could be a topping couldn't it. Hmmmm.
What would it be called then... Without the beef. Lol

nmeyer414
07-08-2017, 11:25 AM
if you are adding lemon/lime or whatever kind of acid in juice form, would that not stop the lettuce from wilting or getting brown?

I could see it maybe getting a little soggy?

BobBrisket
07-08-2017, 01:28 PM
But as I look at it, and I love the idea of cabbage and garbanzos... But with that of and lemon juice on the onions... I see this without the brisket. I am looking for "toppings". Of course... It could be a topping couldn't it. Hmmmm.
What would it be called then... Without the beef. Lol

Yes, it could be a topping on its own without the beef. I guess you could call it a Mexican slaw if you went with the cabbage.

Bob

BobBrisket
07-08-2017, 01:33 PM
if you are adding lemon/lime or whatever kind of acid in juice form, would that not stop the lettuce from wilting or getting brown?

I could see it maybe getting a little soggy?

Was thinking about this too. But, even having this on an ice table, the outdoor heat will get it soggy to a point where it may not look quite appetizing after a while. The cabbage would hold up better for sure.

Bob