PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new kitchen range...

TravelingJ
07-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Should I get a convection oven? The one I am looking at is a bit more than the non-convection I would get, but if it would be useful/better, I'm willing to spend the difference. Lowe's has some nice sales, and some good looking rebates. I'm looking at a 5 burner gas range, just not sure which oven choice I should get.

Ours has been acting funny lately. Taking forever to get up to temp and such. Tonight I had it set for 350 and I threw in a casserole. Checked it an hour later, and things were barely cooked-and the oven didn't even feel warm. I threw in my Smoke and it said the oven was at 200* and dropping. My girlfriend has been saying it was acting up for a while, but...now it's messing with a holiday dish.

Smokeat
07-04-2017, 01:48 AM
Convection is SO MUCH better. Cooks faster with very consistent temps in all places in the oven. It's so much better that there was actually a learning curve to get used to the awesomeness that it has.

capnkrusty
07-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Absolutely, go convection if you can swing it.

homesmoke
07-04-2017, 02:34 AM
Go convection!!!!!!!!!
Once you get used to the joy of using convection you will wonder why you waited so long to get one. And then you will never be able to go backward to a non-convection oven.
Spoil yourself.

Jason TQ
07-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Ya convection is great. The house we moved into had new appliances and a convention oven and heats up fast and more even cooking. Very nice feature if you can swing it :-D

LYU370
07-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Yep, convection. I never use the regular setting anymore.

TravelingJ
07-04-2017, 01:09 PM
5 people saying the same thing. I think that's a good sign! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it, we will go and look at them this weekend ( =

hotslaw
07-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Convection is nice. You may want to check your hot surface igniter or if your range still has a pilot light, the sodium valve on the pilot assembly. 9 times out of ten that's what causes inconsistent temps.

Unless you really want a new oven.

TravelingJ
07-04-2017, 10:44 PM
I'm ready for a new one. This one doesn't really match the other appliances, so that's a minor annoyance. The big pain is that someone decided to stand on the top of if while painting the kitchen when I was out of town. So now all the burners slant in. It's also one of those catalysts that will lead to other things I need to do in the kitchen.

I do really appreciate the tip. We generally try to tackle all sorts of repairs on our own, so that igniter does sound like something we would otherwise jump on.

mrbill
07-04-2017, 10:53 PM
a few months ago, after a lightning strike, we had to replace our oven/stove(non-convection). lowes had a sale going on and we bought a $900 convection oven(with greater capacity than non-convection ovens) for $600. having had it for a few months now, it's awesome! convection beats non every day in my book. if you can swing it, get a convection.

Dweverett
07-05-2017, 06:41 AM
We have double ovens, one convection, the other not. The convection one has less usable space due to the fan unit but it's extremely rare that it matters. Preheating is dramatically faster on the convection one plus love the even cooking. It gets all the use

EdF
07-05-2017, 02:36 PM
We have a gas convection, and had an electric convection oven at our last place. The electric is better.

As far as the top goes, we've used gas for years, and it's great. But if I were looking for a new long-term top, I'd look at induction - cheap, fast, controllable. Thing is, your cookware has to be magnetic to use it with the induction top.

http://ovens.reviewed.com/features/induction-101-better-cooking-through-science

CambuiAl
07-05-2017, 03:53 PM
I would even add, if you can get a convection oven with steam option, better still! This gives you the fast dry heat that you can roast and air-fry with, the steam option for rice, veg, fish etc, or a combination of heat & steam, which is great for baking. If you do a beef rib in the oven (I know, I know...) you can get ovens that program to do a hot and dry initial cook, then move to the steam+heat cook at a lower temp for a longer period to finish it off, or visa-versa - which keeps the meat tender and juicy.

Cat797
07-05-2017, 04:03 PM
We bought appliances 3 years ago when building our house, and I was very pro-gas range. My wife wanted a smooth cooktop that is not an induction unit. I have to tell you that I am very impressed with it, and it took a little getting used to it, but I actually think temperature control is easier. We do have the convection oven and I recommend that too. It's a GE Profile I believe that we ended up with.....

PnkPanther
07-05-2017, 04:21 PM
People cook indoors?

TravelingJ
07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
We have a gas convection, and had an electric convection oven at our last place. The electric is better.

As far as the top goes, we've used gas for years, and it's great. But if I were looking for a new long-term top, I'd look at induction - cheap, fast, controllable. Thing is, your cookware has to be magnetic to use it with the induction top.

The induction sets seem to start at twice what I am looking at. Not really looking to double the price at this point.
I would even add, if you can get a convection oven with steam option, better still! This gives you the fast dry heat that you can roast and air-fry with, the steam option for rice, veg, fish etc, or a combination of heat & steam, which is great for baking. If you do a beef rib in the oven (I know, I know...) you can get ovens that program to do a hot and dry initial cook, then move to the steam+heat cook at a lower temp for a longer period to finish it off, or visa-versa - which keeps the meat tender and juicy.
I will have to look, I hadn't noticed steam mentioned on any of them. It wouldn't be too hard to run a water line over to that side of the kitchen.

People cook indoors?

Hah. Yeah. We are still trying to setup the outdoor cooking area, but we still do a fair amount of cooking indoors.

Bacchus2b
07-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I've been using convection ovens for the past 12 years and could not go back to a regular oven. I would suggest looking at convection ovens with variable fan speeds, typically low fan for baking and high fan for roasting.

Heats up faster, cooks faster, and in every way better than a regular oven!

BBQ Bacon
07-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Had a convection oven and loved it. The apartment has a regular and it sucks. We've bought a convection for the new house and I'm looking forward to using one again. We've also gone with an induction cooktop. First time I'll be using induction so not sure how it will handle, but I've heard good things.

CambuiAl
07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Induction cooktops are good - just make sure your pans will all work with it, as they don't work with glass or ceramic, for example. I can't remember about aluminium.

BBQ Bacon
07-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Induction cooktops are good - just make sure your pans will all work with it, as they don't work with glass or ceramic, for example. I can't remember about aluminium.

Your pots and pans need to be metal to work. So take a magnet and if it sticks to the bottom of your pots and pans it will work on induction.

Cook
07-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Certainly go with the convection...it's nice if you have a setting where you can choose to use the convection or not.

And yes...I'd really hate to live without induction at this point. Once you've had it, nothing else really compares. One thing I know for a fact...I DO NOT want standard residential gas hobs. They are so under-powered that they are practically useless in my kitchen.

TravelingJ
07-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Ordered this today. I'm out of town all next week, but they will deliver it first thing next week. Frigidaire, convection, 5 burners, cast iron griddle is included. 40% off. I also ordered the matching over-the-range microwave. So, now I'll have to get some cabinets up there to support that, heh. But, since our kitchen is literally 11 feet long, the current nukerwave was taking up way too much valuable counter space.