PDA

View Full Version : Cryovac Pork Butts- Leak

chet8888
07-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Hey all
Need to tap into the collective wisdom on the group. Went to Restaurant Depot today and got 1 pack of spares, and 2 packs of butts (bone in this time!). Walked to the car and noticed that something was dripping on my pants. At first thought it was just condensation from cold meat inside/hot humid outside.
But then unloaded and it seems one of the packages of butts has a leak.

I've left it in cryovac and have it inside a trash bag in the refrigerator. Having a couple of families over and I don't want to kill anyone. Should I throw the leaking bag meat out, or is it ok to cook?

Thanks for the help.

Big N Hot
07-02-2017, 04:17 PM
I would cook and serve it. That pork butt will be well pasteurized by the time it's ready to pull.

Although if it had an odd color and smell I would chuck it or return it.

PnkPanther
07-02-2017, 04:18 PM
If it smells fine I wouldn't worry

chet8888
07-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Color looks the same as the other one. I'll give it a sniff. I had to go to Kroger so I went ahead and got a pack of butts from them as a back up. Thanks for the help!

IamMadMan
07-02-2017, 05:32 PM
If it wasn't leaking when you put it on the push cart, or when you put it on the check-out, it probably happened during check-out.

Like they said above if the date is good, color is good, and there is no bad odor, just keep it from contact with air until you are ready to use it.

The smoker will kill any bacteria during the cooking process.

zippy12
07-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Agree with the masses

You will be able to smell rotten pork butt....

Got one from a food lion ... cracker the seal and the house was not the same for days! if there is no smell cook that B!