PDA

View Full Version : Auber Controller - WSM - Uneven Charcoal Burn

KennyB56
06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
I use an Auber controller with my WSM ... temp control is fine ... but the charcoal doesn't burn evenly and I'm wondering if that can be improved.

My Auber is installed with all bottom vents closed and as air intake is at only one location ... only the charcoal near that location burns. My Auber is located at about the level of the charcoal grate and I was gonna install something to direct the air output downward and under the charcoal grate and see if that helps.

If anyone has experienced the same issue and found a way to make the charcoal burn more evenly ... how did ya do it?

Thanks!

KenB

WareZdaBeef
06-28-2017, 02:55 PM
snake method. You can make a "C" or a "U"

I use a 4 layer base into a pyramid. 4-3-2-1 , put a 2x2 inch chunk of wood every 4-6 inches for about an hour of TBS per chunk.

Right on Q
06-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Are you using the Minion method? Using briqs or lump?

I use a 6.5 CFM on my 18 WSM and a 10 CFM blower on my 22 WSM with no problems. I use kingsford loaded to the brim (for big meats) and take out about half a chimney from directly on the top middle of the circle to light. When the coals are lighted I put them right back where I got them. Sometimes I open the other 2 vents to get more airflow right at the beginning and then close them down once the smoker gets to 200 and let the auber take it up to 250-275

yakdung
06-28-2017, 04:26 PM
I do not use the standard fire ring that comes with the unit. I purchased a sheet of #9 3/4" flat expanded metal. I had it cut in equal pieces, rolled and tack welded on the ends. Works moe better.

KennyB56
06-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Like I said ... I have no problem with the temp. I cook at 225-ish. Using the 6.5CFM fan.

Use Kingsford Original. Have done Minion, donut and snake. Doesn't really matter how the coals are started ... the result is always the same ... as time passes the fire moves toward the Auber and burns best there and areas further away from the Auber eventually die out. Opening the second and third air intake helps of course ... but that kinda defeats the purpose of the Auber.

Yeah ... I have plans to axe the standard smoke ring and go to a ring made of wire mesh for a little better air flow.

KenB

Beer/Meat/Victory
06-28-2017, 08:08 PM
If it's not affecting cook time or target temp too much I wouldn't worry about it. My digi q on the 22 WSM always favors the opposite side of the fan (where the air is pushing) making it look uneven but on long cooks it works its way around and temps are fine.

Happy Hapgood
06-28-2017, 08:30 PM
I don't have an Auber but I do have a PartyQ.

http://i65.tinypic.com/35a902g.jpg

I had the same problem when I first installed the PQ. The back side of the mount that holds the adapter has a deflector plate. About a 25% opening for the forced fan air to vent the WSM coal. I had the opening pointing straight down 180*. My coal looked like a skunk stripe. Right down the middle burn. I too use the Minion method with about 1/3 of lit poured in the center. After seeing this I rotated the back deflector plate to the 4 o' clock position to create more of a vortex effect. Problem solved Big Time.

Coal started burning very evenly. One other thing in my case with the Mighty WSM was that I get Near Perfect temp control by keeping the dome vent at 1/2.

Just my .02 and Good Luck! :thumb:

KennyB56
06-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Oh, that's a good idea ... deflect the air flow to the side and create a vortex. I shoulda thought of that! I'll try it!

KenB

Happy Hapgood
06-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Post some pics after the adjustment!