PDA

View Full Version : Kamado

labo44
06-23-2017, 08:16 AM
I'm looking at getting a Kamado vessel. Kamado Joe has peaked my interest. Any thoughts?

Sid Post
06-23-2017, 08:29 AM
I like my Vision Grills cooker. Good product and a good price where I live.

I would also consider the cast iron Golden's products. I haven't seen a Kamodo Joe in person.

CakeM1x
06-23-2017, 08:43 AM
I have a big joe and joe jr, work great!

m-fine
06-23-2017, 08:43 AM
I will be going to Costco today to see the new 2017 Kamado Joe's in person. I'll post my impressions after.

sturev
06-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Big Joe and don't look back...

Novass
06-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Love my big joe

EdF
06-23-2017, 12:27 PM
The Big Joe is a solid choice. And probably a "best value" entrant.

m-fine
06-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Back from Costco.

If you want a ceramic kamado with the latest innovations in a single package with all the basics to get started, the Big Joe is really nice. The no weight hinge and the metal gasket are both great updates, but the latch to close/open the lid is a big step back IMHO. It annoyed me in a few minutes in the store, I am sure cooking with it would take me some getting used to. The D&C grate system is a big step up from what BGE includes (nothing) and the quality of the components are all top notch, but it is still a little clunky to make adjustments. I would also need to add on to the system because out of the box it only does one layer at a time and there is nothing to get you up in the dome for pizza and other fast two sided cooks.

The $1499 Costco price is OK relative to a similarly equipped BGE or WSCG, but KJ is not a bargain anymore and they are now relying on their features and innovation to drive the value equation. Compared to the $499 Pit Boss which size wise slots between the KJ classic and Big Joe, the KJ's are a nicer product, but there is nothing to make one cook better or worse than the other. It seems that the KJ gasket is the only part that should have a significant difference in longevity, but $1000 buys a LOT of replacement gaskets. I like my PB, but I would gladly pay more for the KJ. The question is how much more? 50% extra, heck yeah, 300% extra...I'll pass, YMMV.

Compared to the BGE XL, if you want a kamado in a cart with side shelves, the KJ is the winner. If you are going to build a cart/counter to set it in and skip the way overpriced nest and side shelves from BGE (and toss the KJ versions) the Egg starts to look more attractive despite its cheap gasket, mediocre hinge, and obsolete top vent. You also still have to factor in the lack of a D&C system and need to go aftermarket or buy BGE add ons but there are pluses and minuses that you will have to figure out for yourself.