PDA

View Full Version : Large Spicewine how many?

Mo-Dave
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Two Fat Polocks, Big Creek or anyone with a large spicewine. can you tell me how many slabs of spares or babybacks you can put on your smoker without crowding to much. Same question for butts and brisket, with 4 shelves, thanks.
Dave

MilitantSquatter
03-04-2007, 03:41 PM
See Jeff's pics in post # 56...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22607&page=2

If you're just doing ribs in high volume, you can easily fit quite a bit more, if you use rib racks...

Dustaway
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks Vinny, WOW Ill need to get a part time job in order to pay for the meat to load that puppy up with :biggrin:

Chick'n Pig BBQ
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I have cooked 18 buts with no problem in my large Spicewine. I have only 3 shelves in mine. I think Jay builds them with 4 shelves now. I have also cooked 18 slabs of baby backs with no problem also. I hope this helps!

Mo-Dave
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks Vinny, WOW Ill need to get a part time job in order to pay for the meat to load that puppy up with :biggrin:

What size did you order and when is it going to be done?
Dave

Mo-Dave
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I have cooked 18 buts with no problem in my large Spicewine. I have only 3 shelves in mine. I think Jay builds them with 4 shelves now. I have also cooked 18 slabs of baby backs with no problem also. I hope this helps!

Dats some a spece spice a spicewine meat a balls. :shock:
Dave

Solidkick
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
We've had 24 in the Blue Goose cooker, but the mass of meat really absorbs the heat of just regular charcoal and requires you to use more lump to help maintain the temps. It can be done, you just have to adjust your cooking style, and possibly your finish time.

Dustaway
03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
What size did you order and when is it going to be done?
Dave

went with the large smoker and it should be done soon

Sledneck
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I notice that the all of the spicewines are insulated except for the door. What is the reason? Why not insulate the door as well/ Just curious

spicewine
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Costs more, makes it difficult to change out the door gaskets, makes it difficult to change out the thermometer , doesn't have any effect on the cooking process and I just plain don't like to do it.

Spice

Sledneck
03-05-2007, 07:14 PM
doesnt effect the process i even in really cold weather?

spicewine
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I've cooked in 5 below zero on my Comp smoker and never had a problem maintaing 210-230 for 4 hours on a single fueling ( 1 chimney of charcoal ) W/O an insulated door.

Got witnesses!!! Ask Fredbird, Baggs, Chicknpig,Belly Bros, Belly Bros II, and on and on!!

Folks !! Listen!! You don't need all of the Gadgets, Whistles and Bells to have a great cooker!! It's the BASICS!! Good Cooker!! Insulated!! Good Cook!! It's simple!!

I will pretty much put what ever you want on one of my cookers ( within reason ) but the basic model is the one that works.

If it ain't broke!! Don't fix it!!

This goes against my own personal rule of not talking about my cookers on this Forum. I am off the clock and just want to be able to share the day with the Brethren.

Going to the Cyber Bar--- Anybody thirsty???

Spice

Sledneck
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
sorry about you breaking your rule but inquiring minds would like to know

spicewine
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I know Brother!! And I have counted on the other owners to speak up, as they have so many times. I will be glad to answer each and every question that anyone has about my cookers in a private message or by E-Mail. But this Forum is where I come to relax and enjoy the end of the day.

Again---I am now at the Cyber Bar, currently eating up all of the Beer nuts.

Spice

smokincracker
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I know Brother!! And I have counted on the other owners to speak up, as they have so many times. I will be glad to answer each and every question that anyone has about my cookers in a private message or by E-Mail. But this Forum is where I come to relax and enjoy the end of the day.

Again---I am now at the Cyber Bar, currently eating up all of the Beer nuts.

Spice

He's just pissed off because I have tormented him about insulting the door.
I think he is about to cut me off because of it.

He's right it makes very little diff. I used some thermal imaging software and was able to determine the loss of only 5% BTU's from non insulated door.

Nah that’s BS but sounds good!
It just doesn’t need it!

Lickity Gonzalez
03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that every time something has come off my smoker that wasn't perfect it is due to the fact that that door isn't insulated.

I'm still trying to comprehend the physics of how SOME things get overcooked without the insulated door. Seems like not having the insulation might make cooked food subject to LESS heat....

It's all very wierd...And incomprehensible.