PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Had To Work Overtime Or Do Side Work In Order To Buy A New Cooker?

wire-it-up
06-17-2017, 08:43 PM
Man, I sure have. I've spent the last two Saturdays, in baking upper 80's temps, digging a 200'+ long trench, burying pipe, and pulling in wire, to power two lights at a sign. I've had that job on the docket for months, putting it off to cook on Saturdays. However, once I got my eye on the Humphrey's Weekender, I called the customer and scheduled the job.

Mama said if I want something in the $1,000 range, that we don't HAVE to have, I needed to do something to pick up some extra cash. Done! I've been preaching about how I can cook all winter with it, since it's insulated and all. No better way to spend a Saturday in my opinion, even during our coldest months.

If you've had to sell something, work on the side, or work overtime to finance a cooker, I'd love to hear about it!

LMAJ
06-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Not a cooker, but I know Big Al sold a Harley to build a house so... you work for what you want - that's how life works!

Happy Hapgood
06-17-2017, 09:22 PM
No, but the Wife has. She's currently working overtime for the new Bass Rig.

LMAJ
06-17-2017, 09:23 PM
No, but the Wife has. She's currently working overtime for the new Bass Rig.
Riiiiight......
Amazing fantasy world you live in... :thumb:

BBQ Freak
06-17-2017, 09:28 PM
I was forced to do mandatory overtime but it help me buy a cooker sooner , lol .

Happy Hapgood
06-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Luzziann here. Mike made the mistake of letting me see the post. He is so full of it. I work overtime sometime because my job requires it. Whatever makes him feel good. He knows the real deal. We have traveled our path for 45 years.

Happy Hapgood
06-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Dang! Leave the PC for 5 minutes and this happens! Busted...:tsk:

offshore_SoLA
06-17-2017, 09:37 PM
i work 84 hours a week anyway most weeks so when things come up that i want .. i can both buy them and not work so that i can use whatever it is that I purchased.

16Adams
06-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Dang! Leave the PC for 5 minutes and this happens! Busted...:tsk:

Yep- busted

To the OP. I've never stretched for a cooker. But back in the beginning there were a few times I checked cupboards to make sure there was a couple weeks food, drained the account and bought a couple guns. OK-3 or 5

wire-it-up
06-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Luzziann here. Mike made the mistake of letting me see the post. He is so full of it. I work overtime sometime because my job requires it. Whatever makes him feel good. He knows the real deal. We have traveled our path for 45 years.

Best reply yet! I read what he wrote and thought, "Wow, that's some gal he's married to."

LMAJ
06-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Sometimes it's good to let them believe their stories.... :icon_shy

wire-it-up
06-17-2017, 09:55 PM
riiiiight......
Amazing fantasy world you live in... :thumb:

lol!

SmittyJonz
06-17-2017, 11:43 PM
I sold a Pistol to buy BoomShuckaLucka.........but I had sold the Stainless Propane DIY Insulated Converted Cabinet to the buy said pistol.....

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-17-2017, 11:46 PM
i work 84 hours a week anyway most weeks so when things come up that i want .. i can both buy them and not work so that i can use whatever it is that I purchased.

I'm very similar. My standard week is full force intense, allowing me to chillax on the back end. It's the way it is. Sweat equity

lastmajordude
06-17-2017, 11:49 PM
AS long as I cook to feed my other half.....she LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrbill
06-18-2017, 01:07 AM
yes. had to work side gigs to get the last of the funds i needed for my OC Smokehouse

Inthewoods
06-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Yup, side work payed for my LSG...It'll pay for the next upcoming offset as well.
LSG or a Shirley...

-D

tonyjohnson619
06-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Side work pays for most my toys

effinUker
06-18-2017, 11:50 AM
I spent most of my life as a commission salesperson - I always had to sell "just a little more" when I had my sights set on something. My wife on the other hand, took jobs to pay for things. She didn't want to upset the budget so she'd take a job here or there. We remodeled a game room and got a pool table like that. Maybe a hot tub too.. now that I think about it.

pjtexas1
06-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Luckily my days of working 80-100 hours per week are way in the past. Could buy anything the wife and kids wanted but wasn't there to share it with them. I did sell my hot rod to by our first house. Man I loved that car.

wire-it-up
06-18-2017, 12:20 PM
The idea of selling my WSM came up a couple of times in conversation about buying the Humphrey's. But it's several years old now, and considering that brand new ones are within most people's budgets, I wouldn't get enough for it to make it worth selling. I still love the WSM, and I learned on it from the beginning. I'll still use it even after I get the Humphrey's. I just need an insulated cooker for cold weather cooks, and I like the idea of a cabinet being easier to get into during a cook.

bam
06-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Thinking about coming out of retirement for a Stumps Stretch.