PDA

View Full Version : igrill 3 or thermapen

NJ2 BBQ
06-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Wife ask me what i wanted for fathers day. which one is all around more useful. I mostly do butts, ribs, loins, steaks and chicken at home.

mrpigs
06-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Wife ask me what i wanted for fathers day. which one is all around more useful. I mostly do butts, ribs, loins, steaks and chicken at home.

Don't know about the igrill, I also mainly do butts, ribs, loins, steaks and all kinds of chicken.
ChefAlarm and ThermoPop work great for me.

Can't see paying $80-90 for a thermopen when I got the ThermoPop for $24 on sale. Maybe 2-3 seconds slower.

But I'm just a backyarder.

nautique1228
06-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Thermapen, I have both and can't remember the last time I used the igrill. The thermapen gets used in the kitchen and for BBQ on a regular basis. Just my opinion

pharp
06-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Thermapen hands down. Spend a little extra and get the MK4.

Militant83
06-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Thermapen, I have both and can't remember the last time I used the igrill. The thermapen gets used in the kitchen and for BBQ on a regular basis. Just my opinion

+1 on the Thermapen, I have had mine probably as long as I have been a member here on the forum and love it. I use it all the time.

brandenpro
06-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Thermapen. I have iGrill, Thermopop and iGrill. It's not even close, Thermopen becomes an extension of you. The others you have to think about for one reason or another.

Tonybel
06-13-2017, 12:05 AM
Thermapen

WanderingTexan
06-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Thermapen....seriously life changing...I couldn't understand the cost until I got one. My ugly brown one is on year 7 and going strong.

quamdar
06-13-2017, 01:18 AM
I have the iGrill 2 and I love it. The range is pretty awful so if your cooker isn't near your couch or where ever you want to relax while cooking then that might be different. I love being able to check my temps without without going outside.

If your cooker is a good distance from the house or you need to check a bunch of pieces of meat at once (chicken or steak) it would be fairly useless I think.

SmoothBoarBBQ
06-13-2017, 06:07 AM
The iGrill 3 is designed to work on the newer models of the Weber Genesis gas grills ONLY. It has some kind of battery pack which fits directly into the Genesis grills, so if you don't have one of those you should be looking at an iGrill 2.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/product/igrill/igrill3/

That being said I loved my iGrill but after about 12-15 months of use it became erratic. The main unit started reporting "ghost" temperatures of 572F when no probe was inserted into the probe port, and the probes started to fail one after the other. I bought new probes and it seemed to work good for a few weeks, but then I started getting very strange readings. I would move the probe to different ports and get massively different temperatures. I just wasn't able to trust it anymore.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't pick up an iGrill 3 unless you have those specific Genesis grills.

Taylormade
06-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Interesting feedback in this thread. I think they each have their purpose. I have (and love) an Igrill 2 with four probes. I use it any time I'm smoking. For steaks, burgers, chicken, etc I use the pen exclusively.

I use the iGrill 2 to monitor not only meat temp but smoker temp as well. I love not having to constantly go outside to check the temps. You can set it to notify you if temps go outside of a range as well, which is great for smoking. I can say "tell me if it dips below 230 or goes above 280" and go about my business.

I also like that you can set notifications to alert you when your food is within 10 degrees of your target so I can plan appropriately.

DrewZ
06-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Ther. Ma. Pen.

SmokerKing
06-13-2017, 06:58 AM
both

Rodbolt
06-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Thermopen, have both and it's not close :-D.

CakeM1x
06-13-2017, 08:09 AM
Thermopen.

wrinklenuts
06-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Thermapen! I love mine.

batemanb12
06-13-2017, 08:28 AM
With out a doubt the Thermapen Mk4 has been one of the most useful BBQ/Cooking gadget that I have owned. I use it for everything that requires you cook to a certain temperature.

Al_T
06-13-2017, 08:39 AM
I suggest the Thermapen. I have a Tappacue. The Tappeacue is wonderful but I don't use it. I know my pit well enough and times it typically takes that constant monitory of those temps are not useful. I use the Thermapen constantly. Kitchen, smoker, grill, you name it. It is probably the most used device for BBQ that I have.

BGWolf
06-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Thermapen

BillATL
06-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Since you asked about 'all around more useful' it's thermapen, hands down. The leave in thermometers are great when you're cooking a large piece of meat - you don't have to peek to get some idea of how things are going. But the thermapen is useful when you're cooking pretty much anything.

jasonjax
06-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Yeah. These are really two different solutions.

I love my remote probes that stay in from start of cook to finish when cooking brisket and shoulders and other large meats, but I still "spot check" them with the thermapen for temp and more importantly for texture/doneness based on how firm the meat is.

sudsandswine
06-13-2017, 12:57 PM
My iGrill2 was randomly horribly inaccurate. Ruined a couple pieces of meat thanks to it. I'll never own another iGrill product, especially when they're priced close to much more consistent products. The Thermoworks ChefAlarm would be a more direct comparison to the iGrill. I use a Flame Boss 300 for remote temp monitoring, but still double check closer to finishing temp with my Thermapen. So far the Flame Boss has been very accurate.

Dmakkk
06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Get both. Igrill3 and a Themapop

jasonjax
06-13-2017, 01:18 PM
I just ordered one of these with 2 extra probes (will have 4 of 6 to start). Will let you know how these do after I use them a time or two.

https://grilleye.com/

robert-r
06-13-2017, 02:44 PM
I have the Classic Thermopen & just bought a Javelin Pro Duo. They had a special on it - $43 delivered.

I prefer the Javelin Pro Duo. It's noticeably faster, costs lots less & the action when "folding" the probe is smooth & EZ (not so with my Thermopen - it's very stiff). It's backlit & the display rotates 180*.

https://lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d