PDA

View Full Version : Popdaddy's Taco Pack - Is Brisket Intimidating?

Pitmaster T
06-12-2017, 02:25 PM
I have been offering Whole Briskets for sale with some success for a while.

But this recent repackaging of the classic has me blowing orders out the door.

There is a thread where I opine on a new additive I am adding to my rubs with awesome and flavorful results.

Smoke and Weigh First - currently selling at $12 a pound
Slice the Flat

Chop up the Point into Natural Burnt Ends

Sauce Drizzle (this is a special, MexiCAN hYBRID that starts with a chili Pepper blend inspired by Bob Brisket

Add those Blistered Peppers and a chili pepper (Anaheim aka New Mexican)
Make sure you have a quality tort

gtr
06-12-2017, 02:34 PM
We've been having a taco explosion at the house, fueled by my 2 teenage sons who are bottomless pits.

What would the quality tort be? I don't find much other than Mission or Guerrero here, which is surprising given where I live. What should I be looking out for?

That looks really great & I love that idea. My kids will think I'm a genius.

ShadowDriver
06-12-2017, 02:35 PM
I'd love to hit a couple of those tacos right about now!

The brisket with all the bits and bobs is a package deal you're sending out the door? Yes, please!

KevinJ
06-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Good Lawd that and a good Cerveza = Heaven for Kevin :-D

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=144739&d=1497295190

Pitmaster T
06-12-2017, 02:42 PM
So... In addition to my MKT events like this one

I was selling maybe an average of 2 -4 briskets a week, more during holidays. Now that has quadrupled and growing as more people testify.

I asked some newer customers what made them buy. They said generally buying a whole brisket was "intimidating." What they meant by this was when buying a whole, wrapped un-sliced one, the idea of purchasing it posed more questions:

1. Is it good? I mean it looks all black and stuff.
2. What do I need to do to heat this up and slice?
3. Six other questions about slicing and meat grain bull****.
4. Now that I have a brisket... now I have to fix damn sides.
5. What do I do with the leftovers? Last one I bought I either froze and forgot or had to throw it away.

The "Taco Packs" seem to alleviate all those fears. Buyers are telling me that when it sits in the fridge, their kids or spouses grab a chunk of meat, some onions and peppers and wrap in a tort and heat and eat - sometimes even cold. The slice and chop combo solves much of the problem.

Lately I have been chilling the whole Briskets, saucing the bottom, slicing cold and packing the box, and tightening with the veggies. It may get delivered cold or warm but I am impressed (as they are) with the reheat in the box. The veggies and spicy tart Mexican sauce I called "Salsa Clasica" compliments the reheat.

Lastly... people re buying are now willing to pay extra for torts, Limes and Sauce.

I need to conquer the torts though, making then in house. HEB's customs are hard to beat. Esp that Corn one.

Pitmaster T
06-12-2017, 02:43 PM
They also say the natural burnt ends never make it in the tacos.

DaveAlvarado
06-12-2017, 02:51 PM
That's super clever. There is no shortage of BBQ tacos here in TX, but selling a whole brisket custom-cut to be tacos is really smart. Congratulations on a great business idea!

Pitmaster T
06-12-2017, 02:53 PM
We've been having a taco explosion at the house, fueled by my 2 teenage sons who are bottomless pits.

What would the quality tort be? I don't find much other than Mission or Guerrero here, which is surprising given where I live. What should I be looking out for?

Keith Garret uses those for his tacos... the meat will provide the flavor but I woulds find a tortilleria. HEB here has some got dang awesome torts I cant beat but want to. under three for some good pliable corns at 10 a pack (seen in the pic) and under 4 for 20 flours. both worth the money foR catering so def worth it for home.

Moose
06-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Nothing beats a homemade tortilla. I can get you The Missus recipe, but if making them is too much of a hassle, head over to Paco's on Washington and Centinella. They make them by hand all day long, and I'm sure they will sell you some if you call ahead.

pjtexas1
06-12-2017, 03:20 PM
i love the idea. when i have cooked for pick up i always have to give directions and then hope they don't fark it up trying to slice it all different kinds of wrong. i finally showed one of my friends the proper way since he is at most of the parties. i 2nd the heb tortillas. only thing better was my grandmothers but i think part of that was the awesome aroma in the house when she was making them. i am guessing that slicing cold keeps the moisture in?

effinUker
06-12-2017, 05:42 PM
I'd take a pan of that for lunch, that looks awesome.

Pitmaster T
06-12-2017, 08:45 PM
i love the idea. when i have cooked for pick up i always have to give directions and then hope they don't fark it up trying to slice it all different kinds of wrong. i finally showed one of my friends the proper way since he is at most of the parties. i 2nd the heb tortillas. only thing better was my grandmothers but i think part of that was the awesome aroma in the house when she was making them. i am guessing that slicing cold keeps the moisture in?

this is so true. I once had someone cut it the wrong way and complained. so.... now I do unless I know the person knows his stuff.

Here is a proper slice

http://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20160419/girls_with_bbq_26.jpg

Militant83
06-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Some fine looking tacos you got there.

cpw
06-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Oh man...HEB tortillas! My wife's from San Antonio, and whenever her family came to visit they'd come loaded with tortillas from HEB.

Lowki
06-13-2017, 11:40 AM
You are killing it. Nicely done.

gtsum
06-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Damn impressive. Wishing you continued success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LloydQ
06-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Damn impressive, indeed.

BillN
06-13-2017, 05:50 PM
$12.00 a pound is a smoking deal... Looks amazing.

Pitmaster T
06-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Popdaddy's Taco Pack Special - YouTube