PDA

View Full Version : WSM Temps On A Hot Day

ChrisBarb
06-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Ok. Here is a question for all you no water in the pan guys. Ambient temp is around 95 degrees. I need 225 - 250 pit temp. Can this be done or do I have to go back to using H2O? Thanks.

Beer/Meat/Victory
06-12-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm chiming in for the responses. I did a day cook yesterday and it was warm out. I had a few other things to do around the house so I setup the Digi Q to 240. I forgot to close down the other vents until the alarm went off at 280. It pretty much stayed at 270 the entire 5 hour cook. Everything turned out just fine, but I'm contemplating on getting ceramic or sand for a heat sink since I was running an empty foiled pan.

dgaddis1
06-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Should be doable, you've just got to be careful with your temp. Start low, let it work it's way up slowly.

I use lump, and here's how I do it:

Use a chimney starter to get about a fistfull of lump lit. Dump the lit lump into the smoker on top of unlit lump, add wood chunks, add more unlit lump on top. Set vents to where you think they should be, and wait for smoker to come up to temp and stabilize.

Going for 225-250 you're gonna have the vents mostly shut - it takes very little air to fuel a fire small enough to keep temps that low. I'd keep two of the lower vents shut completely, open one about 1/4 of the way, and open the top vent so your openings are about 1/8" of an inch.

Keep an eye on the temp as it rises - if it's rising too quickly and looks like it'll overshoot, adjust accordingly. If the vents are set just right, the temp will rise slowly and you'll wonder if it'll actually reach the temp you want.

If I've got the time I like to fire it up at least an hour before I plan to add the meat, that way I've got plenty of time to let it come up slow and make sure I catch it on the way up.

I started with a BGE, and have done plenty of BBQ with starting ambient temps over 100*F, and one thing the Egg teaches you is to NOT let it get too hot, 'cause you'll never get the temp back down haha.

DaveAlvarado
06-12-2017, 02:35 PM
I don't cook that low anymore, but I know it's doable. You'll end up with like one vent cracked barely open. Don't let the temp get away from you or it'll stay high. If it gets high and stays high you can always pour some water into the bowl from above.

Oh yeah, and be really fast when you take the lid off. That big gulp of air is going to give you a temp spike every time.

ChrisBarb
06-12-2017, 02:50 PM
I think that is what happened. I am using a clay saucer in the pan, wrapped in foil for easy cleanup. But I left to pick up my daughter up from school and the temp spiked. Lesson learned.

THoey1963
06-12-2017, 05:19 PM
One of the hardest lessons I had to learn about BBQ, was that there is no magical temp and fighting to get a pit to stick to one is frustrating. My WSM liked to run around 275*, sometimes 260*, sometimes 283*. When I started letting her run where she wanted, I enjoyed BBQing much more...

But, to answer the original question, yes, but as mentioned, start slow and catch it early...