PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana 1100 Burns Hot

thunn
06-12-2017, 01:29 AM
Hi guys, I am new to the forum. Looking forward to some insight from fellow bbq fans. I purchased a Louisiana 1100. It is around a year old. It has burned hot from the time it was new. Customer support replaced the control panel and we have the same problem. They do not seem too interested in addressing the situation. They seem to feel that we are impacted by being the Phoenix desert climate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It is quite the pain to baby sit the thing every 30-45 minutes or it will get up to 300+ degrees. Thanks for you help.

locolobo
06-12-2017, 01:38 AM
If it were mine I would expect it to keep the inside pit temp @ the set point no matter what the outside temp was. What do you have to do every 30-45 minutes to keep the temp down? I don't have any experience with a thermostatically controlled rig so I don't have an answer for you.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
I've never owned a pellet or a Louisiana, but I've got a basic understanding of feedback control systems. I believe the Arizona excuse is bull$*&t BTW!!

Could the sensor be faulty or could there be a reason why the sensor is "telling" the machine it's too cool? In other words, it's a machine that will do what it's told. If it "thinks" that it's too cool, it'll overcompensate and run hotter, thereby burning your meat.

If Louisiana is unwilling to correct, most states have "lemon laws" in place where you're protected. If you're able to work with a hot running cooker, then some Brethren would say just go with it. However, if it's destroying meat, then you may have to find a way to return/replace the unit.

mtime7
06-12-2017, 09:37 AM
what do you mean by burning hot, (temp spikes?). And what do you have to do every 30min to it? What temp are you running when it goes to 300

Yendor
06-12-2017, 10:10 AM
What temp are you setting it at where is drifts up to 300+. What are you using as a secondary measurement device. Is your temp probe clean?

MDPHX
06-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Thunn, I lived in Chandler for awhile, now I'm in Mesa... I've been have somewhat of a similar issues with my Louisiana Champion I recently got. Main chamber has burned hotter than the set temperature at times, by as much as 69 degrees at one point, when I'm using it in the heat of the day. Never got around to calling or inquiring about it, just been watching it and trying to adjust accordingly when needed.

I've used mine probably 10 times so far and have had this happen on 3 or 4 of them

thunn
06-18-2017, 02:09 AM
I have to open the lid to get the temp down. If it stays up too long it can cause the flame to go out. Then have to wait for it to cool down and restart. Also have to be careful it does not continue to feed pellets even though flame out. This requires removing everything and clearing the fire pot or risking backdraft when restarted. All the temp spikes are not good for the meat. Have called Danson/Louisiana Grills three times in last ten days and have to leave message and have yet to get a return call. Pretty frustrating.

thunn
06-18-2017, 02:13 AM
MD - mine has run as much as 150 degrees over set temp.
Yendor - I have set it at the lowest setting of 170 degrees. It has gotten to nearly 400 before I start intervening.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully Danson will get back to me.