mchar69
06-11-2017, 04:45 PM
UDS, sheeah.
Had to work today, yet had a butt to put on and my timing was perfect,
lit the fire before the shower,
got the drum up to 250 grate,
decent, not the best smoke,
put the butt on and just cracked the
gate valve back a bit, I was going to be gone 6-7 hours...
well I get home and the drum is running 140. WTF???

The main difference I have is I used KBB this time,
and every other time I used K comp.
Mixed with Royal oak and chunks of cherry.
I thought the RO, which I always use, would
help the KBB.
NOT.

IamMadMan
06-12-2017, 05:39 AM
Not sure if this is related to your issue.......

Keep in mind that KBB has additives like limestone, mineral char, and mineral carbon (coal) to help control the burn and the heat output of the charcoal.

In my Humphrey's, I cannot even get close to 250 when using KBB without the use of a pit controller.

But as we all know, not all charcoals are created equal, nor do they burn equally. That is why we have different brands and types to choose from.

Nuco59
06-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I figured the Kingsford detractors would have schooled you on where you went wrong: 1) you used Kingsford and there's nothing past (1 :-D

I can' tell you where your cook went south- I just know my cooker. I don't hate KBB- it's not my favorite but a sale is a sale - so I stock up and use what I have.

Running all KBB, I can't get but about 4-5 hours (300*) without giving the uds a kick or the basket a wiggle to shake down the ash. Knowing that, I would never leave it for a 6-7 hour cook unattended. I don't like to leave it at all - but that's just me.
You said you had OK smoke and the grate temp suited you- but how long had the temp been stable? I can run mine 45 minutes to an hour before I get the good smoke and am sure it's settled in, but after that I'm good -until I have to kick it.
Dunno what to tell you on your situation- maybe you rushed your start up procedure a bit?

bam
06-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Was the charcoal damp?

W.I.T.W.A.G?
06-12-2017, 09:41 AM
KBB in the drum has never worked for me, too much ash chokes it out. At least anything over a couple of hours. As Nuco59 said "a sale is a sale"!
KBB for grilling..nothing else..unless its all you have and you cant wait to cook some chicken wings:-D

mtime7
06-12-2017, 09:45 AM
in my limited experience, using KBB you got kick the drum every 2 hours or so

gtr
06-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Just a guess but it could be ash buildup choking off air flow.

SmokinJohn
06-12-2017, 04:24 PM
I use KBB in my UDS, and have only had to kick the thing twice.

Without having more details, I'd say either go back to the combo that worked before OR use only KBB in the basket.

I mixed KBB and some mesquite lump one time. I don't remember if the fire got too hot, or released nasty smoke, but it was not good.

mchar69
06-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Was the charcoal damp?
Nope. As mentioned I may have rushed it in an effort to gtfo, but I had 250
and it's the 1st time for KBB, usually I use KComp.
And you guys kicking your barrels puts a funny picture in my head.
Thanks for the input, not doing that again.
I usually can let the thing go no probs, 6-7 8 hrs.
BTW, the butt turned out great.