PDA

View Full Version : Pellet smoker recommendations

prodano
06-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Anybody have any pellet smoker recommendations? Here is what I am looking for:

Under $1000
Small enough to save on fuel cost but large enough to fit ribs and cook evenly

I'm thinking about the traeger pro 22 but hear there are a lot of other good pellet smokers on the market to consider. Recommendations are appreciated!

KevinJ
06-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Firecraft Q450 (https://www.firecraft.com/product/firecraft-pellet-q450-pellet-grill), Camp Chef Woodwind, (https://www.campchef.com/woodwind/woodwind-grills.html) if you want smaller Rec Tec RT300 Mini (http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-mini-portable-wood-pellet-grill-rt-300/) and Green Mountain Grills (https://greenmountaingrills.com) are popular, they have a lot of options in your price range.

SmokinBub
06-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Pit boss (owned by Louisiana grills I think) makes some good ones. 820 I believe is the model.

If you can swing through shipping smokedaddy has a good deal on their site for $999 plus shipping.

http://smokedaddyinc.com/pellet-pro-deluxe.html

They also have smaller models too.

Pelletheads.com should offer some more suggestions too.

Vision
06-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Camp Chef Lux.

jasonjax
06-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Are you looking for smoking only or do you want to versatility to grill at higher temps also?

The Cookshack PG500 might be a little over your budget, but it does both incredibly well.

prodano
06-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Are you looking for smoking only or do you want to versatility to grill at higher temps also?

The Cookshack PG500 might be a little over your budget, but it does both incredibly well.

Think I will use my other grills for higher temps and the pellet for smoking.

jasonjax
06-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Think I will use my other grills for higher temps and the pellet for smoking.

Then I'd go for the greatest cooking surface you can get for your budget. That new $999 Danson Louisiana Champion Grill looks pretty neat, but the jury is still out for quality long-term.

https://www.costco.com/Louisiana-Grills-Champion-Pellet-Grill-.product.100308809.html

EDIT: With Cotso's return policy I wouldn't be as worried about quality as normally.

gtsum
06-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Have you ever had food off a pellet grill? What kind of cooker do you use for smoking now? Reason I ask is I recently got a yoder and they do cook and taste different. If you prefer a heavy smoke profile, they may not be for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

prodano
06-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Have you ever had food off a pellet grill? What kind of cooker do you use for smoking now? Reason I ask is I recently got a yoder and they do cook and taste different. If you prefer a heavy smoke profile, they may not be for you

I have not eaten BBQ off pellet smoker before, good advice to try it first. Currently use kamado Joe jr if very small quantity but very limited or WSM but quite the hassle/mess. Want something I can set and forget.

gtsum
06-11-2017, 06:01 PM
I have not eaten BBQ off pellet smoker before, good advice to try it first. Currently use kamado Joe jr if very small quantity but very limited or WSM but quite the hassle/mess. Want something I can set and forget.

I used a primo oval xl for 8 years before changing to a yoder pellet. They are different for sure. I still think the kamados are very versatile and do everything pretty good...the yoder pellet might be even more versatile though. With grill grates and the ability to direct sear on the yoder (something most pellet grills cannot do), it is very, very close to searing over lump in a kamado...although the kamado gets the edge a bit I think. I notice I am tasting more of the meat and rubs and spices with the yoder vs the kamado...the smoke compliments the meat bs over powering it. The ease of use is even greater on the yoder. I have been cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner and cooking things I wouldn't of thought of doing on the kamado. I still have a kamado for the toy hauler and I noticed last week when I did steaks and burgers they tasted quite different than what comes off the yoder (yoder is a "cleaner" taste for lack of a better word). Hope that helps

sleebus.jones
06-11-2017, 06:43 PM
GMG Daniel Boone would work nicely for you.

rwalters
06-11-2017, 07:24 PM
I used a primo oval xl for 8 years before changing to a yoder pellet. They are different for sure. I still think the kamados are very versatile and do everything pretty good...the yoder pellet might be even more versatile though. With grill grates and the ability to direct sear on the yoder (something most pellet grills cannot do), it is very, very close to searing over lump in a kamado...although the kamado gets the edge a bit I think. I notice I am tasting more of the meat and rubs and spices with the yoder vs the kamado...the smoke compliments the meat bs over powering it. The ease of use is even greater on the yoder. I have been cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner and cooking things I wouldn't of thought of doing on the kamado. I still have a kamado for the toy hauler and I noticed last week when I did steaks and burgers they tasted quite different than what comes off the yoder (yoder is a "cleaner" taste for lack of a better word). Hope that helps

110% agree with every word of this post! My experiences exactly.

Sfine118
06-11-2017, 08:25 PM
I have a camp chef smoke pro dlx, and like it a lot. Amazingribs.com has some good reviews if you haven't checked it out yet.

Southstar Jeff
06-11-2017, 08:31 PM
I found a good deal on a RecTec 300, figure this was a good way to try the pellet grill. I have been really liking it. I'm thinking next is either Yoder or that new Traeger.

Here is a brisket I did this past weekend on the 300.

prodano
06-11-2017, 10:50 PM
I found a good deal on a RecTec 300, figure this was a good way to try the pellet grill. I have been really liking it. I'm thinking next is either Yoder or that new Traeger.

Here is a brisket I did this past weekend on the 300.

Wow, wicked smoke ring!